[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - What to do? (Speaker query)

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:07 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - What to do? (Speaker query)

What to do? (Speaker query)

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by RideTheSolarWinds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to figure out what to do here. I've recently picked up a DA-5700ES receiver for my speakers, but I've come to a crossroads.
I currently have a 5.1 set of Sony's latest speaker line. This includes the following:
-SS-C5000
-SS-F7000 (pair)
-SS-B3000 (pair)
-SA-W3000

After hooking them up to my new receiver there is a massive improvement in sound quality over my old Sherwood. But I'm not 100% satisfied. The centre in particular seems to be a weak point, it's not a bad speaker and it can handle some serious power but it doesn't blend with the F-7000'S and sounds confined in comparison.  I'm also not completely happy with the sub - it is built surprisingly well for the price but it feels underpowered, I've managed to find the sweet spot for it and it is sounding much better but I'd like a bit more power to play with (it's in a large room). The F7000's and B3000's are outstanding for their price point and hooked up to a good receiver with plenty of power really shows what they are capable of.

Now here is where the dilemma begins - I was browsing online and stumbled across the chance to buy a set of SS-X speakers (90ED, 30ED and the centre). I've heard some amazing things about these speakers and they look absolutely beautiful. They will cost me around 2 grand including shipping to Australia. Now I'm a bit apprehensive so I'd like some answers and opinions if possible.

1. Are they worth $2000? Keep in mind that this is to Australia, so I'm expecting to pay a bit more since they are hard to come by and impossible to get here. Are they a huge upgrade over my existing setup?

2. Is the centre a weak point like it is with the speakers I have? I noticed the drivers are smaller than the rest of the range, though only by a small amount unlike mine.

3. I want a complete matching 5.1 set. So that means I'm after the SA-WX900 subwoofer (I don't think the 700 will cut it in such a large room). How hard is this subwoofer to obtain? I'm pretty much set on it if I buy these speakers as I have heard it is outstanding and it is matched to this speaker line.

Following all this is my choice:
I can either get the SS-X speakers or expand my existing setup to a 7.2 or even 9.2. I figured 2 subs would improve the bass presence and dispersion. But I'd still have the centre problems. I tried a B3000 on it's side the other night and it sounded much better; strong presence and excellent blending with the towers. Would this be the way to go?

Any and all advice/information is very welcome. Apologies for the really long first post haha.

RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mykyll2727 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 pm

RideThe SolarWinds_Welcome to Agoraquest!!

The Sony SS-XxxED series of speakers are among the best that Sony has ever made in their range. Your total price is much less than they sold for new. IIRC that's around what the SS-X90EDs sold for new and as you said they are very rare and almost impossible to find. Whether or not they're worth their asking price depends solely on you. You should consider that they are all 4Ohm speakers which will be quite a load for most AV receivers. Your other set of Sony speakers are a much easier 8Ohm load. Your 5700ES is perhaps the most powerful receiver Sony has made since the STR-DA7100ES and acccording to it's specs (Check out the thread on this same page about it's review) shouldn't have a problem. If you plan to run the SS-XxxEDs with another receiver this could be a consideration. I personally would be very leery of running 4Ohm speaks with most AVRs. By all accounts the XxxED series will be a major step up in SQ over your present speakers. You can research more about that series here on Agoraquest.(In fact just scroll down on this page also for the SS-X thread. It'll provide a link to the thread).

You're right in that 2 subs if placed properly will give you more output and a smoother bass response and I completely sympathise with your center speaker issues as I've experienced the same problem. Ideally I've found using the exact same speaker as the fronts for a center provides the best sound but this often isn't practical. Stereo subs, proper Xover and level balancing will help alot with a smaller center speak than the mains. The SS-CNX30ED is a fine speak and I would think make getting proper integration with the mains easier.

BTW_Is this the set of speakers you're considering?_

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-SONY-SPEAKERS-HIGH-DEFINITION-HOME-THEATER-FITS-B-W-TA-N-9000ES-STR-DA5600ES-/220993957328?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D220971608034%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7705092004438670715

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by RideTheSolarWinds » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Cheers for the reply and warm welcome.

Those are indeed the speakers I'm looking at, they look to be in very nice shape apart from a couple of the grills (I'm guessing they are impossible to replace these days?).

If I do decide to get them do you think the 5700ES will be suitable on it's own or should I look into a power amp or something along those lines? You sound a bit concerned about the receiver handling the 4Ohm load from all the speakers.
RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mykyll2727 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:58 am

It's good to have you aboard! Please don't be a stranger. We don't hear often enough from our members from down under.  

I would think finding original replacement grills would be rather impossible. Even if you could (given my experience with my SS-K90EDs) it would be very expensive indeed. IMO a more viable solution would be to simply recover them. That is if it really bothers you. BTW did you read the thread on them?

The speaks do appear to be in great shape. If it weren't for the fact I've decided on a different route I'd be looking to grab them myself.

Like I said I don't think the 5700ES should have any problem with their load. Especially if you're not going to drive them to SPLs that would destroy your hearing. In that case it won't matter as you'll be deaf and can't hear them anyway.

There are alot of reasons someone might want to add an external power amp to a system. I actually added one to my main system when I was running a STR-DA9000ES in it, but IMO I wouldn't add one solely because of the 5700 with a 4Ohm load. I would base that decision on other factors. Of course the only way to truly know if you're happy with the 5700 mated to the X series speakers is to hear them for yourself. Once you do then you can decide. The X series are some truly outstanding speaks and IMO would be a significant step up from what you presently have. If you do decide to get them by all means tell us about your experience. I'd love to know what you think of them should you get them._mykl  

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by RideTheSolarWinds » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 am

Yeah I should be fine with the small tears in the grills. They look much better without them in my opinion but I feel better having the added protection of grills just in case. Plus I prefer the understated sleeper look.

I think I'll stick with my 5700ES for the time being and if I feel the need down the line I'll add a power amp to the mix. I heard that bi-amping really brings these speakers to life. But I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the one amp for now, it makes my current speakers sound way better than they really should hahaha.

RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mykyll2727 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 am

So I take it you decided to get the speaker set?_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by RideTheSolarWinds » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 am

Provided they don't sell in the next few days I will be getting them and retiring my other speakers to the study (unless I am convinced otherwise hahaha).

Fingers crossed I have them in my hands soon!
RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mykyll2727 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:28 am

I wish you good luck that you get them. Please let us know what you think of them!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 am

RideTheSolarWinds_I see the set was sold. Did you end up getting them?_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by RideTheSolarWinds » Thu May 17, 2012 6:15 am

Yo!
Sorry for not replying earlier, to be honest I completely forgot about this thread until today. I had a friendly bloke in an oversized truck come over and greet me. He said in a mysterious tone "these are for you" and handed me 5 different sized boxes, all considerably heavy. So I decided to open up the boxes and take a look inside, here is what I found:

SS-CNX70ED:

SS-X30ED:

SS-X90ED:

And finally the classy logo to distinguish these from your run of the mill Sony speakers:

Unfortunately just after he delivered them I had to go to work so I had no chance at all to hook them up and give them a test run. I finished at 11pm tonight (it's now 1am) so I can't give them a demo until tomorrow.

First impression = W.O.W. The build quality is absolutely outstanding, well above anything anyone would expect from your "usual" Sony speakers. Cabinet construction is rock solid and incredibly well dampened from the old "knock knock" test. Honestly I am blown away by these speakers, my father has a very expensive Klipsch home theatre setup but I have to say the weight and build of these is superior. They each weigh a metric ton (double that for the towers)!

They are exactly as described and are in near perfect condition, especially considering they are nearing 10(?) years old now. They probably look a bit dirty and worn but that's just the dust and packing materials from shipping. Oh and my fingerprints from taking them out and a very harsh flash from the phone on my camera.

Did I mention how beautiful they are? These look miles better and much more modern than my far newer el-cheapo Sony speakers (as described in first post). Absolutely love the subtle curves, kevlar drivers and isolated tweeters.

Anyway I'll stop before I get carried away hahaha, I haven't even plugged them in yet! Expect a 5000 word essay when I have a good listen.

Thanks for your help also, I already know I made the right decision getting these. I consider them an investment that will last me a lifetime.

RideTheSolarWinds
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables