[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - "rec out" feature on STR-DA7ES

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:28 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - "rec out" feature on STR-DA7ES

"rec out" feature on STR-DA7ES

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by pwreimers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 am

I would like to find out how to use my receiver to send audio signals to a cassette recorder. The manual says:
  • The analog audio signals of the current function is output from the REC OUT jacks on p. 60.
  • Only analog audio signals of the current function are output; no 'down conversion' of digital inputs are output to the REC OUT jacks.
  • Under Outputs it lists TAPE, MD/DAT (REC OUT), VIDEO 1,2 (AUDIO OUT) on p. 78.
From this I infer that I can, for example, play a record and record it if I connect analog cables from MD/DAT OUT to the inputs of my cassette deck.

With the above setup, there is no signal at the tape recorder, so I sent the signals to a slave amplifier and received no signal.

First, do I understand this correctly: I should be able to use the MD/DAT OUT for recording purposes as long as there is an analog input signal and the current function is set to that particular signal?
Second, if the MD/DAT OUT circuit has failed, can I use the 2nd and 3rd room AUDIO OUT connectors (I know from prior experience that these outputs function)?

Thanks, in advance!
Pete
(edit 27 Feb): dang! I forgot that I can't pass the analog 'PHONO' signal through the 2nd or 3rd ROOM OUT jacks...I need that MD/DAT OUT circuit!

pwreimers
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jttar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Hello pwreimers,

Been awhile but I remember your avatar.

Do you have your phono analog output cables plugged into the input ports on the MD/DAT IN and the analog cables from your cassette recorder input jacks to the MD/DAT OUT on your DA7ES?
 Also, is the MD/DATA the input selected on the receivers selector? You should get a low level signal to your cassette recorder that way.

Make sure that you go into the input mode of MD/DATA and select "analog" for the type of output.

Let us know how it goes.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by pwreimers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello Joe,

I have the phono connected to the PHONO inputs, not MD/DAT; I am under the impression that PHONO cables must be connected this way, having to do with line input voltages. The cassette recorder cables are connected from the MD/DAT OUT to the recorder LINE IN jacks, as you suggest.

While playing any analog source, the receiver selector is set to that source which is output to the speakers as well as the MD/DAT OUT lines. Is that correct?

I will have to check into how to select analog for the output of MD/DAT lines. Thank you for the guidance.

Pete
pwreimers
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mhedges » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Why are you connecting it to the MD out? It is a cassette deck -connect the receivers tape out to your cassette deck in.

mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:23 pm

On 2011-02-27 19:28, pwreimers wrote:
<span style="font-family: Verdana">
I will have to check into how to select analog for the output of MD/DAT lines. Thank you for the guidance.

Pete
</span>

Pete,

Set the input mode using the function knob so that the display reads "MD/DAT" then press the silver "input mode" button right above and to the right of the function knob. Make sure that it is set to analog and not digital. If you follow Mark's advice using the "Tape" mode on the receiver the same applies with setting the "Tape" mode to analog.

Joe

jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by pwreimers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:19 pm

On 2011-02-27 19:42, mhedges wrote:
Why are you connecting it to the MD out?  It is a cassette deck -connect the receivers tape out to your cassette deck in.

The reason I used the MD out is because the TAPE out did not give a signal, so I looked in this forum and in the manual and discovered the TAPE out is not used to send signals out for recording purposes. The MD/DAT is specifically noted to be REC OUT in the receiver specifications. I think it is odd. Maybe later I will understand what the purpose is of the TAPE out signals...
pwreimers
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:28 pm

The DA7ES/DA4ES owners manual on page 60:
You cannot record a digital audio signal using a component connected to the analog TAPE OUT or MD/DAT OUT jacks. To record a digital audio signal, connect a digital component to the DIGITAL MD/DAT OUT jacks.

Sound adjustments do not affect the signal output from the TAPE OUT or MD/DAT OUT jacks.
The analog audio signals of the current function is output from the REC OUT jacks.
The signals input to the MULTI CHANNEL IN jacks are not output from the REC OUT jacks even when MULTI CH DIRECT is selected. The analog audio signals of the current function are output.

"Sound adjustmants" refers to any surround mode processing or equalization of 2 channel analog source signals.  None of these adjustments will affect signals to "Tape Out" or "MD/DAT Out".

The only analog source signals that cannot be recorded through "Tape Out" or "MD/DAT Out" are "Multi Ch Direct" source signals.

That DA4ES is the same as the DA7ES as far as analog I/O is concerned.  I use "Tape Out" of my DA4ES without any problem.

I have also tested that I can simultaneously record to "Tape Out" and "MD/DAT Out".  Your DA7ES should be able to do the same unless it has a fault in the "Tape Out" circuit.

This is part of the analog I/O block diagram from the DA4ES/DA7ES/VA333ES servive manual

I interpret that you now cannot get a signal from "Tape Out" and "MD/DAT Out".  Is this correct?  Can you record from Video 1 or 2 audio out?  Maybe IC 302 is at fault.

The output of the 2nd & 3rd room jacks are variable (affected by the volume control of the DA7ES).

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jeromelang » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 am

On 2011-02-27 19:28, pwreimers wrote:

Hello Joe,

I have the phono connected to the PHONO inputs, not MD/DAT; I am under the impression that PHONO cables must be connected this way, having to do with line input voltages. The cassette recorder cables are connected from the MD/DAT OUT to the recorder LINE IN jacks, as you suggest.

While playing any analog source, the receiver selector is set to that source which is output to the speakers as well as the MD/DAT OUT lines. Is that correct?

Pete

at one stage, i had my spare turntable (project) connected to the phono input on the sony STR-DA5400ES.
and strictly using it as a phono amp, i routed the phono signal via tape rec-out into the sony TA-E1 and TA-N1 driving a pair of sony SS-M7.
I had no problem routing the audio from the phono section through to the tape rec-out and into the TA-E1 pre-amp.
the input knob (function selector) must be set to PHONO.
i also hit the 2CH/A.DIRECT button twice to make sure that it is in analog direct mode.
and i put the display dimmer to 100% down, so that the display panel is completely dark.
seems to make it quieter.

jeromelang
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:03 pm

pwreimers-
Your expectations in your original post are correct.  The output imedance of the receiver's line outputs is 10K ohms.  The input impedance of what you are connecting the outputs to should be at least 50K ohms.  I suspect that you are meeting that requirement.  The only times that there should be no output from the MD/DAT output jacks is if MD/DAT is the selected input, a digital input is selected or the multi-channel input is selected.  The same applies to the TAPE output jacks.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by pwreimers » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:41 pm

I have been able to get signals through the amplifier, although I am at a loss to explain why I did not get signal outputs in my first hookup.

I have my cassette deck OUT connected to TAPE IN at the amplifier. TAPE OUT, 3rd ROOM OUT and PRE OUT (FRONT L & R) are all connected to a slave amplifier, which I can easily select to see the output signal. MD/DAT jacks have not been tested.

These are the results of the experiments:
  • TAPE OUT signal level is independent of the main amp VOLUME knob; the signal output is set by the FUNCTION knob selection. Only those signals that are analog inputs will be relayed to these output jacks. INPUT SELECT is fixed at ANALOG 2CH STEREO and cannot be changed.
  • 3rd ROOM OUT signal is independent of the main amp VOLUME and FUNCTION knobs; the signal can be any analog or digital input. The signal level and output assignment is controlled by the 3rd ROOM volume setting alone, accessed by the remote control. My bet is the same will be true if using 2nd ROOM OUT to send out the signal. Note that PHONO cannot be output.
  • PRE OUT signal is controlled by the main amp VOLUME knob, it can be any digital or analog signal and is controlled by the amp FUNCTION knob.
As mhedges inferred, connecting the cassette deck OUT/IN to the TAPE IN/OUT is what is to be expected, is the common sense connection and is just like in the diagrams. Why I did not get a signal earlier is a mystery right now. The proverbial brain-fart.

Now I have signals!!! Much to choose from. Next step is to determine why the cassette deck does not recognize the signal. I can play a cassette, just cannot record onto one...

THANKS!
Pete
pwreimers
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables