[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - any laserdisc or mdp with rf output for ac-3?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 11:47 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - any laserdisc or mdp with rf output for ac-3?

any laserdisc or mdp with rf output for ac-3?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with any other Sony product not listed in one of the other categories.

Moderator: jttar

by woodiega » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:24 am

can't believe pioneer is the ONLY company that was decent enough to include this feature.
surely some of the later model sonys must have had that output.
if so, anyone know any model #'s, or year of manufacture?
thanks and peace,
terry
woodiega
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Reinhart » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:28 pm

On 2004-12-27 04:24, woodiega wrote:
can't believe pioneer is the ONLY company that was decent enough to include this feature.
surely some of the later model sonys must have had that output.
if so, anyone know any model #'s, or year of manufacture?
thanks and peace,
terry

Pioneer wasn't the only company to sell players with AC-3 RF outputs (although they OEMed to most of the other brands that offered them).  Yamaha, Denon, McIntosh, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, RCA/ProScan, Runco, Theta Digital, and Panasonic also distributed LD player models that have an AC-3 RF output.  Although, Panasonic certainly made their own players but only had one model that had an AC-3 RF out (and this model seems to be a fairly obscure one at that).  The model number escapes me, but anyways...

Unfortunately, Sony has never made a LaserDisc player which had an AC-3 RF output, even though they have manufactured an AC-3 RF demodulator, the MOD-RF1.  They also made receivers that had an AC-3 RF input for 5.1 playback of Dolby Digital LaserDiscs, such as the STR-DE915.

Then again, and I'm sorry because this is bashing Sony LD players on a Sony forum, but they generally weren't any good compared to Pioneer LD players. 

The only model Sony LD players I'd ever consider would be any of the commercial MDP single-side play Lasermax models, the MDP-650, and pretty much any of the MUSE/Hi-Vision models which were available only in Japan.  Sony certainly wasn't the worst LD player brand, but their highest end models (save their Hi-Vision models) are no match to even the mid-line Pioneer models.  And, pretty much nothing from any brand can match the high end Pioneer models, particularly their ELITE and Japan-only MUSE/Hi-Vision lineup (particularly the Pioneer HLD-X9). 

A lot of exotic brands of LD players mostly end up using Pioneer platforms to make their LD players, which was the case with Theta and McIntosh.

However, you can modify a Sony LD player to have an AC-3 RF output.  Try a google-search for such a modification.  - Reinhart
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Reinhart » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:22 pm

I must correct myself.

Sony has made a LaserDisc player that has an AC-3 RF output, but this appears to be the only model.  The MDP-V9K.

I believe this model was available only in Europe and was not available for sale in the United States.  However, this player does support NTSC discs and possibly can be used with NTSC displays.

However, this player may be very difficult to come by being the only model from Sony supporting AC-3 RF and also possibly being available outside of the United States.  In this case, try to look for a Pioneer player instead or consider getting something like a Sony MDP-650 modified for outputting AC-3 RF signals to a processor or demodulator able to demodulate the signal into a usable bitstream.  - Reinhart
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Return to Other (Tape, Short Wave, Phono, etc.)