[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony STR-DA4ES firmware version check?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 11:23 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony STR-DA4ES firmware version check?

Sony STR-DA4ES firmware version check?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by Reinhart » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:20 pm

I have a Sony STR-DA4ES and I would like to know what is the latest firmware version versus what's actually in my receiver.

I had to have my receiver serviced in July of 2004 (fortunately, the 5 year ES warranty came in handy).  Extensive repairs were required, which involved changing out pretty much the whole digital section, which would also likely involve updating the firmware to the latest version.  The receiver was never abused or anything; it just quit working for some reason.  One day, I went to turn it on and noticed a small arc that burst from within the receiver and it quit outputting all sound on all speakers. 

Now, it works thanks to the warranty repair and has been working for the past 9 months.

What I would like to know is how to access the firmware version information.  I have the factory service manual in PDF format, but the directions to check the firmware version number is vague.

Also, what did the latest firmware version add to the receiver?  I heard that it added support for Pro Logic IIx.  Is this true?  - Reinhart
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by AaronB » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:52 am

Yes, you can check the firmware version by activating the "Special" menu. To do this, press and hold the "SURR" button (under the lid), then press "MENU". You should see "Menu Specialized!" on the display. Scroll through the menu items with the ">" button until you see the firmware version. The latest production firmware was 1.20 or 1.21, but the latest available as an upgrade patch is 1.19. Though technically possible, the firmware upgrade does not add any new features such as DPL IIx; it only fixes minor bugs. If you firmware is out of date, a quick forum search will reveal where to get the update and tips on how to apply it.
AaronB
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Reinhart » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:16 am

On 2005-04-18 08:52, AaronB wrote:
Yes, you can check the firmware version by activating the "Special" menu. To do this, press and hold the "SURR" button (under the lid), then press "MENU". You should see "Menu Specialized!" on the display. Scroll through the menu items with the ">" button until you see the firmware version. The latest production firmware was 1.20 or 1.21, but the latest available as an upgrade patch is 1.19. Though technically possible, the firmware upgrade does not add any new features such as DPL IIx; it only fixes minor bugs. If you firmware is out of date, a quick forum search will reveal where to get the update and tips on how to apply it.

Unfortunately, your instructions are somewhat in error.  There is no button labeled as MENU and the SURR button is "SURROUND" underneath the lid.  However, I figured it out.

To access the special menu, with the receiver on, press and hold the SURROUND and ENTER buttons behind the door, then press the > button to the right of the menu jog knob, also underneath the door, while holding down the two other buttons.  This will cause "MENU SPECIALIZED!" to appear on the display.  Navigation of this menu is the same as with any other menu function.

My receiver employs version 1.19.  - Reinhart
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by AaronB » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:44 am

Hah! You are right of course, thanks for the clarification. If I'd had access to my 4ES at the time I would have confirmed the exact procedure. The service manual loses something in translation from the original Japanese. I was working from memory and by trying to re-interpret the instructions in the service manual (which also involve pressing the power button, which I knew isn't necessary!).
AaronB
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables