[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony str-d9000es with Ipod via firewire connect

Advanced search
It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony str-d9000es with Ipod via firewire connect

Sony str-d9000es with Ipod via firewire connect

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by mr_bill » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:08 am

Has anyone tried using an Ipod 20gb with the new firewire hookup option into a 9000es via the i.link? (which I think is firewire)
If this works - watch out, what a hot rod, high performance hard drive, low jitter opion this would be for two channel!!
bill
mr_bill
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:14 am

You are correct!  i.Link and Firewire (IEEE-1394) are one in the same.  There is no guarantee that your intended connection will work, but its sure worth a try!   Please let us know the results.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Maxxwire » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:41 am

Great discovery mr_bill! What kind of Data rate are you able to get out of your Ipod?

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mr_bill » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:05 am

I don't have an Ipod yet and I'm gettnig a da9000es at the end of the month - so I'm no help!
But, I thought of this scenario this morning and wonder if any body can or has tried it.
But, would that be a digital signal through the firewire?  I think so.
Bill
mr_bill
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:29 pm

Yes, the iPod would send a Digital signal via the Firewire to the DA 9000ES. The highest bitrate that the iPod is capable of is 320kbps and while this might sound good on headphones out of the iPod, the DA 9000ES is an Audiophile grade piece of equipment and it will expose all of the short comings of the iPod's Digital bitstream as compared to the 1,480kbps bitrate of CD or the 2.8Mbps bitrate of SACD.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mc » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:42 pm

I think youll find that ipods only use firewire for high speed data transfer rather than for audio , so hooking up like this wont work as far as I am aware 
mc
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:30 pm

That makes sense since the Audio data that the iPod uses has such a low bitrate.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:54 am

We will just have to wait and see, won't we!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by KeithKorg » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:19 am

ipods dont send the audio thru firewire- only used for power and mounting the ipod to the computer.

i run my itnues (music player) from my computer wirelessly to my da2000es via airport express, whice uses a optical cable out.....sounds ok for regular listening, but its less 'crisp' than a std cd...

but i have 14000+ songs on my computer, and thats alot of cd's to swap out of my single disk player...

KeithKorg
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:54 am

KeithKorg- Thanks for such a short wait on the information about the iPod's use of Firewire.

Did you find your Tube Monoblocks yet? A few weeks ago I picked up a late model mint condition Conrad-Johnson MV-52 45 wpc push-pull Tube power amp with all polypropolene caps in the power supply and the balance of the caps being polystyrene.

After retubing it with premium quality 1960's vintage input, driver and output Tubes it sounds so vividly Musical and ultra detailed that its even better than I had hoped it would be.
I have spent many hours replaying discs over and over in an attempt to fully comprehend all of the new detail and complex harmonic structure that this Tube amp is revealing. Its like hearing all of the hundereds of upgrades I've done over the last 5 years come alive all at the same time.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables