[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony str-d9000es with Ipod via firewire connect

Advanced search
It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 12:10 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony str-d9000es with Ipod via firewire connect

Sony str-d9000es with Ipod via firewire connect

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by Reinhart » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:46 am

On 2005-04-11 13:19, KeithKorg wrote:
ipods dont send the audio thru firewire- only used for power and mounting the ipod to the computer.

i run my itnues (music player) from my computer wirelessly to my da2000es via airport express, whice uses a optical cable out.....sounds ok for regular listening, but its less 'crisp' than a std cd...

but i have 14000+ songs on my computer, and thats alot of cd's to swap out of my single disk player...

The IEEE-1394 output would have to stream any kind of data digitally, and the iPod can most certainly send data as well as receive through FireWire.

It may be possible to connect an iPod to the DA9000ES i.LINK port and actually get it to work so long as the stream is in a format that the receiver can decode.

However, the i.LINK on the DA9000ES was designed to receive a digital SACD input.

You can probably try it out and see what happens.  It shouldn't damage either device in any case unless the pinouts were different.  Then again, if the pinouts were different, then it would not be IEEE-1394 compliant.  - Reinhart
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by KeithKorg » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:34 am

On 2005-04-18 11:46, Reinhart wrote:

On 2005-04-11 13:19, KeithKorg wrote:
ipods dont send the audio thru firewire- only used for power and mounting the ipod to the computer.

i run my itnues (music player) from my computer wirelessly to my da2000es via airport express, whice uses a optical cable out.....sounds ok for regular listening, but its less 'crisp' than a std cd...

but i have 14000+ songs on my computer, and thats alot of cd's to swap out of my single disk player...

The IEEE-1394 output would have to stream any kind of data digitally, and the iPod can most certainly send data as well as receive through FireWire.

It may be possible to connect an iPod to the DA9000ES i.LINK port and actually get it to work so long as the stream is in a format that the receiver can decode.

However, the i.LINK on the DA9000ES was designed to receive a digital SACD input.

You can probably try it out and see what happens. It shouldn't damage either device in any case unless the pinouts were different. Then again, if the pinouts were different, then it would not be IEEE-1394 compliant. - Reinhart

rein-i will try it tonight on my 2000es, .

maxx, i am still looking for a tube set amp....everytime i bring it up, my wife wants something new, like a deck or mixer....shes running out of things to get so...i can see the light at the end of the tunnel...lol. i am looking for some monoblocks or a nice audio research....how are the pre-outs on the sonys? pretty loud?
KeithKorg
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:15 am

If you get Tube Monoblocks with a sensitivity of <1 volt you might do alright. You would probably get better sound with a Tube preamp driving them though.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 am

On 2005-04-10 14:14, jehill wrote:

You are correct!  i.Link and Firewire (IEEE-1394) are one in the same.  There is no guarantee that your intended connection will work, but its sure worth a try!   Please let us know the results.

Are sony's i.Link and Denon's Denon link compatible then? I believe they are both IEEE-1394._S.W. Mike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by AaronB » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:15 am

I have been watching this thread with some curiousity since it began, but have been reluctant to chime in with my $0.02 because I was interested to see what people would have to say on the matter. It's time now.

In 2002, the industry developed a standard for use with FireWire (formally known as IEEE-1394, also known by the Sony brand i.Link) called the "Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol", or A&M Protocol for short. This protocol allows for the transfer of copyrighted digital audio and video data over the FireWire link, complete with encryption to prevent copying. DVD-Audio and SACD players with FireWire outputs use this protocol. Receivers with FireWire inputs use it too. That includes the STR-DA9000ES. The iPod, although it has a FireWire port, does not know a lick about A&M Protocol. The iPod behaves as a mass-storage device (i.e. a hard drive) when plugged into a computer. When plugged into a A/V recevier, it will do nothing.

(p.s. I do not know of any device which transfers video via the A&M protocol over FireWire, although one may exist).
AaronB
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:59 am

Is the encryption that is used standard?

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:05 am

The current crop of Sony XBR model TVs include i.Link ports for connection to D-VHS recorders and the like.  Audio and video may be recorded and played back using a single i.Link connection.  I would assume that the A&M protocol is used.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by mykyll2727 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:57 am

AaronB_Thanks for the info. I've been considering a universal player as my next addition to use with the 9000ES. Since Sony doesn't make one I've been giving thought to a Denon 3910 w/mods. I just didn't know if I would be able to use the iLink connection._S.W. Mike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by gglockner » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:32 pm

Keith is right about the fact that the iPod does not send digital audio out.

As for the AirPort Express, it is bitwise perfect, so the audio quality will depend on the quality of your audio tracks. This is the weak link -- you have to ensure the audio tracks have been ripped accurately. I find that Exact Audio Copy does a great job on the PC, but it is definitely hard to use. iTunes with error correction turned on is an acceptable second choice.

I have done blind A-B tests and I cannot tell the difference between streaming audio and the original CD as long as the information was ripped accurately.
gglockner
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Maxxwire » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:12 pm

gglockner- I have full confidence in the results of your blind listening comparisons, but you may find that the differences you notice between the original CD and the ripped version will become more evident with respect to the resolution capabilities of the Audio system that you use to compare them on.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables