[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - does anyone have the DVP-S560D player?

Advanced search
It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 12:28 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - does anyone have the DVP-S560D player?

does anyone have the DVP-S560D player?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by metalhead » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:06 pm

I have had this player for 5 years now and I am completely satisfied with.Great dvd player. Wanted to know if someone else has the same player and what do you think abou tit?
metalhead
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rcmeininpg » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:10 pm

Hi,

I'm a brand new member on this great site. Saw your post. I too have the DVP-S560D player. Bought it new about 5 years ago (+-) and have had nothing but good luck with it! I have read many, many reviews where the owner had error problems but I must have found a good one. I have mine connected to my Sony STR-DE997 receiver with a digital coaxial cable and DVD's look and sound great on my 34XBR960!
rcmeininpg
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by kmchenry » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:14 pm

I have had mine for over 5 years and have enjoyed trouble free operation, as well.

I recently installed a DVP-CX777ES, but have not had the time to load/play anything on it yet. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
kmchenry
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by luisandres58 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:18 pm

I have one of those s560d for over 5 years! No problems at all! One of the best dvds sony has made.
luisandres58
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by bbeacham » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:51 pm

I have the 550 that I bought in May of 99 for $499.   That was steep enough for me at the time.  It has been a great player.  Its only weakness was no progressive scan output, but my new TV does that so there is no need for a DVD player with progressive output.  Now I am using it as a spare since I recently bought the DVP-975.
bbeacham
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Reinhart » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:39 pm

On 2005-03-03 22:06, metalhead wrote:
I have had this player for 5 years now and I am completely satisfied with.Great dvd player. Wanted to know if someone else has the same player and what do you think abou tit?

My current DVD player is a Sony DVP-S360, which is the same as the S560 except it doesn't have 5.1 outputs to connect it to a Dolby Digital ready receiver.

Generally, it's an okay model. 

Picture quality is actually top notch, although the LSI Logic MPEG2 decoder does have a problem with chroma upsampling (but not very many players of that era performed correct upsampling anyways, including some of the most expensive brands and most people usually don't notice it unless it's pointed out, especially in red colored fields). 

Disc access and menu navigation are rapid.

Sound is so-so at the analogue outputs.  Too harsh overall.

Reliability-wise, this is where this model may faulter (although it's nowhere near as bad as Panasonic was around this time, which didn't improve until Panasonic's DVD-RV30 came out).  The DSP for the servo control in the PrecisionDrive system was known to have an issue that caused the player to report an error code that indicated a dirty disc.  Some revisions of the drive control board had picofuses which would open and keep the drive from reading the disc.  Newer revisions didn't have the fuses but still had the read failure problem.  There is a patch which involves replacing surface mounted resistors with those of different values in the circuit, but the repair can be difficult.  Plus, if the DSP or the picofuse went, it also meant that the pickup went with it (although not always).

Plus, I don't like the kind of power switch that was used with this model.  Why didn't they use the same kind of stand-by power supply that was used in the DVP-S330/DVP-S530?

Glad to hear that your model is still working (and mine is still operating perfectly, too).  - Reinhart
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by metalhead » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:31 pm

i didn't know there were problems with this player.It has served me well for over 5 years now and am very happy with it that I do not need to buy another player for right now.
metalhead
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Return to DVD