[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony xa5400es vs Arcam FMJ CD-37

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:42 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony xa5400es vs Arcam FMJ CD-37

Sony xa5400es vs Arcam FMJ CD-37

This is the place for where you can post links to great Sony related deals that you found on the internet. You can also lists products that you want. Also, groupbuys deals are listed.

Moderator: jttar

by homeboy182 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:01 am

I have a Sony SCD-1 on it's last legs. I'm thinking of replacing it with either a Sony XA5400es player or a Arcam FMJ CD-37. I've read many reviews on both units and generally the audiophile community seems to have high regards for both models for SACD and Rebook CD playback. They are similar in price and though they are discontinued models, I have found you can still get either one via the internet.

My hifi system consists of a VTL 5.5 preamp, BAT VK-60 power amp and Coincident Total Eclipse speakers. Interconnects are Nirvana Sl series from CD player to preamp and Audio Quest from preamp to power amp. Speaker cables are Nordost SPM. Preamp and CD player powered through PS Audio Power Plant.

Which is the better player in terms of SACD and CD playback? Bigger bang for the buck? They both seem to have excellent build quality, dual transformers etc. The Arcam may have the edge in DAC's perhaps? I am not an electronics expert but I do read with great interest audiophile articles and equipment reviews from time to time. I simply like to enjoy great sounding music played through my hi fi.

Let me know your thoughts out there. Thanks.
Homeboy182
homeboy182
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by mykyll2727 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:21 am

Welcome to Agoraquest! The only way to be certain as to which one will sound best to you is to audition the two units. If you're into SACD, particularly MCH SACD, the Sony would get the nod there as it can support it. But that is only thru HDMI. I don't believe the Arcam supports MCH SACD._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by homeboy182 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are absolutely correct. I agree that the only way of truly finding out the differences between two pieces of similar equipment is to audition both side by side. I'm not in a position to do that. I went with the Sony xa5400es based on the overwhelmingly good reviews, press and love from users alike out there. I just ordered one from mydigitaluniverse.com for $,1049.00. I bought Sony's first SACD player, the SCD-1 and really liked it for it's performance, build quality and looks, so I guess it's fitting that I end up with Sony's last? SACD player. I know this makes no Audiophile sonic sense but I also figure I may get a bigger bang for the buck since Sony is a much larger company than Arcam. They have a long history in developing and improving the SACD and Redbook CD format and have the resources and buying power of a big company in sourcing out premium parts for their equipment. Though Sony is not known as a high end audio equipment company, when they put their knowledge and resources behind something they believe in, they have turned out some excellent products. (remember the Ford GT-40 program when Ford put all it's resources into building a car targeted at beating Porche at LeMans? Ford came in 1-2-3!) Just because a company is big and makes product aimed at the masses does not mean they are not capable of making equipment which performs on par with the best of the niche specialized audio companies. That this website exists is testimonial to what I'm saying. Replacement parts may also be easier to get as both players are discontinued. That and Stereophile's A+ rating seems to make the Sony a steal.
homeboy182
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by mykyll2727 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:04 am

I understand your logic and that's an awesome price for such a great sounding player. Many reviewers feel the 5400ES is the best sounding SACD player Sony's made. That's quite alot considering the SQ of the $5K MSRP SCD-1 and the $3K SCD-XA9000ES (which I own) players for a little over $1k. I hope you love your 5400ES and that it brings you many years of pleasure._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mhedges » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:27 am

Just curious - what is wrong with your SCD-1? Are you sure it can't be fixed?
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Great Sony Deals