[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Finalizing

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Finalizing

Finalizing

This Forum is for any other questions you might have

Moderator: jttar

by jonrob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:15 am

Having just shot a short movie I was finalising the mini dvd in my camcorder when the mains power supply stopped. By the time it resumed it was apparently too late to resume the finalising operation.  I am now unable to do anything with the mini dvd. The camera says 'disc access' then set up which has a finalising/unfinalising option but on pressing either button it emits a short 'prrr' sound.  I put the disc in my dvd player hoping to finalise there but its reaction was 'this disc can neither be played or recorded'.
My camcorder is a Sony DCR-DVD203E

I would be very grateful for any help that may be offered.
Jonrob
jonrob
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Jonrob,

Greetings and welcome.

Sorry to say that I don't think that there is a solution to recover the media on that mini DVD disk.
Have you tried another mini DVD disk in your DVD203E to eliminate that there is a problem with your camcorder?
If the problem disk is a RW disk you could try formatting the disk to see if you can reuse it but my guess is that the content on the disk will not be able to be recovered.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jonrob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for your reply. My DVD is a DVD-RW not tried format yet. I have sent an enquiry to www.professionaldvdservices.co.uk/prices.htm who appear to offer a service-any thoughts on them?
Thanks
Jonrob
jonrob
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

jonrob,

I am not familiar with professionaldvdservices but would be very intrested to hear what they have to say.
Please post back with any developements.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jonrob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:22 am

Thanks again,Joe. Unfortunately no success making contact with them yet-no reply to my email or phone call. I'm therefore wary. Have managed to format the disc. No movie left but a lesson learned. At least I now have an empty disc which appears to be recordable.
A friend suggested I should format all new discs before use, the camera doesn't say this. Handbook long gone I'm sorry to say. Maybe I'll upgrade to a hard disc camera to avoid repetition. Any suggestion for a Sony which will transfer to my Apple Macbook. (cam wd need firewire)

Thanks again for help, hope the weather not too cold in the 'windy city'
Jonrob
jonrob
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Hello Jonrob,

Sorry to hear that you have not had any response from professionaldvdservices. Iwas hoping that they would have a solution to save the material on your disc.

I guess the good news is that your DVD-203E is working and that the power interuption just caused some sort of anomaly with the disk. I would not give up on your camcorder yet. I own the DCR DVD505 and absolutely love the quality of the video and sound. The RW mini disks have worked great for me.

Thanks for remarking on the weather here in the "Windy City". This morning when I left for work it was 2 degree's Fahrenheit or -16 Celsius. Froze my arse off, LOL!

Regards,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to Camera Misc.