[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Trying hard to put two Sony (the D8 camcorder DCR-TRV350 and the reasonably new VRD-MC5) to work tog

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Trying hard to put two Sony (the D8 camcorder DCR-TRV350 and the reasonably new VRD-MC5) to work tog

Trying hard to put two Sony (the D8 camcorder DCR-TRV350 and the reasonably new VRD-MC5) to work tog

This Forum is for any other questions you might have

Moderator: jttar

by wilsonc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:18 pm

I am a real Sony fan, with lots of Sony products from cell phones to Bravias and camcorders. I have a Digital8 camcorder (DCR-TRV350) and therefore lots of D8 tapes recorded with beloved memories...

As I have images in various medias (VHS, VHS-C, D8, memory sticks, etc.) I thought it would be a great idea to buy the multi-function DVD Recorder Sony VRD-MC5.

Things went good with the memory stick inputs and AV input. But the Firewire connection simply does not work. I studied a lot in the last 10-15 days, contacted Sony support (very evasive) but no success. The camcorder has a standard i.Link (Firewire, or IEEE 1394) output that is said to be also an input. It is a 4-pin input that seems to be a female input. The VRD-MC5 has lots of inputs, and one of them is a i.Link, identical to the one in the camera, except by the fact that it seems to be a male 4-pin (it really has four pins, not four holes).

I bought a cable (it was told to me that does not matter the aspect of the holes, the cable always has two identical plugs (with four pins). I followed the procedures excatly but the VRD seems not to sense the connection from the camera.

Sony support said it should work, but no details. They also said I have to ensure the DV interface is set to OUT not to IN, but reading manual end-to-end (266 pages) there is no clue on what the setup I should use to do so. I can have overpassed, but I am almost sure there is no such setup. I also walked thru all menus, but no such setup.

I see two or three possible paths:
  1. There is a setup in the camcorder that I cannot find
  2. There is a detail in the cable that I could not realize or bought the wrong type of cable
  3. There should be a fix in the VRD (I tried the site but the date of the last fix seems to be earlier than the date the VRD was manufactured)
  4. There is a real hardware problem with the VRD recorder
  5. There is a real hardware problem with the camcorder (in this case I could maybe try to find another camera with a friend to test or to use for this specific purpose)

Maybe there are other possibilities that I cannot see.

Any help, tip, suggestion of test, suggest of troubleshooting procedure, etc, would be VERY welcome. And as it is my very first posting in this site, I promise I will enter the site every week to try to help other with the tons of Sony equipments I have or had in the past.

Thanks!!! Wilson.
wilsonc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Camera Misc.