Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:195
    Members:0
    Total of:195 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Geometry issues Dashboard
    Replies: 2 | Views: 1,722
    Last Reply: October 1, 2003, 7:20 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Action925 | davisson |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Geometry issues
    Action925

Posted: 2003-10-01 12:51

Okay, I've had my KV-32HS510 for about two months, and I'm almost embarrassed to say that I didn't notice a blatantly obvious geometric issue (#1 being the embarrassing one) that's present.

Well, here are a couple of the issues:

1. The left side of the picture is actually slanted slightly towards to the right (sorta like "/"). It is most noticeable whenever there is a straight vertical line near the left-end side of the picture. I presume that this is easily fixable through a service menu edit.

2. On the upper right-end side, the picture is "rolled" downwards. The best analogy I can give for this is: Imagine a frequency-response curve that rolls off near 25Hz or 16 KHz. The picture on the upper right-end side rolls off (in the downward direction) slightly.

3. The lower right-end side of the picture exhibits the same problem as described in #2, except the picture is "rolled" upwards.

So, if you can imagine, the picture looks like:

[image]http://i.xanga.com/GoldenRain/tvpicture.GIF[/image]

(please copy that into a new browser window, as it doesn't seem to be linking properly)

Well, the right hand side doesn't roll off as drastically as depicted above, but it gives you guys an idea what's going on.

4. Finally, the convergence is off, and seems more so towards the upper left and upper right edges (the upper middle is better, but there is still a slight misconvergence). The lower left and lower right areas of the picture also suffer from misconvergence, but not as noticeable as the upper left/right.

It seems from all of these issues that almost everything here can be fixed with geometric adjustments in the service menu.

There may also be other geometric imperfections that, when combined with the ones above, could be fixed with maybe one or two adjustments.

My questions are:

A. When I adjust my computer screen, I tend to shrink it so I can see the entire picture well within the edges of the screen. This allows me to see if the picture edges are truly straight with respect to the edge of the screen. Should I follow such a practice by reducing the horizontal and vertical picture sizes first?

B. In the service menu, there is a section called D-CONV. I notice this is where a majority of the geometric adjustments reside. I'm sure there are more though. For example, there are also trapezoidal, keystone, and other geometric-based adjustments. Where would these be located?

Basically I want to adjust the geometry of my picture to be as best as possible. I want to do this before I adjust the color/picture quality.

Anyone with experience, insight or help in this area? Thanks in advance!

[ This message was edited by: Action925 on 2003-10-01 12:52 ]

davisson

Posted: 2003-10-01 18:05

The following refers to the KV34XBR800. If yours has the same codes, then these may be what you need. (probably) Use them at your own risk, and write down all settings before changing. YOu also need a crosshatch pattern or other image with certain geometry on the screen--probably from one of the test disks available. If you can't correct the geometry, you probably have a hardware problem.

D-CONV is dynamic convergence, not geometry. The codes you may need are under device names 2170D_1
    VPOS
    VSIZ
    VLIN
    VSCO
    HTPZ

and 2170D_2
    HPOS
    HSIZ
    PIN overall pincushion
    UCP upper pincushion
    LCP lower pincushion
    PPHA*
    VANG*
    LANG*
    VBOW
    LBOW
    (The codes w/asterisks may be the ones most pertinent to your problem.)

Action925

Posted: 2003-10-01 19:20

Thanks a lot, davisson! I've always wondered why they don't just include basic geometry adjustment capabilities in the main menu, such as they do with computer monitors.. It would seriously reduce the headaches for so many consumers of TVs out there..

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.