Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:185
    Members:1
    Total of:186 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire27.4 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

My Current Situation Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 2,070
    Last Reply: October 1, 2003, 10:08 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | Mikhail |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author My Current Situation
    Mikhail

Posted: 2003-09-23 18:55

Well.. Ive been through a lot with my sony 32 FlatScreen Wega Triniton TV. I remmeber the day i got it, it was my first flatscreen, 32 inches of goodness. But also back then i was naive to the little twirks all tvs have. The first problem i noticed what some kind of flare on real bright spots on black backgrounds. This would make a line across the screen all the way to the oposite end. So i have it under a protection agreement. to make a long story short----- The tech came like 5 times and finally replaced the inside boards. All was cool. Until.... I realized that by the tech adjusting the sharpness by turning some knob on the back of the TV, he shrinked the vertical size so that two black bars appeared on the left and right. I called the tech again. He streched the vertical size via the service mode. This was the dreaded day i saw what horrible geometry my TV had. No straight lines appeared anywhere it was a mess, not to mention the tilt was horrible. I went online and figured out how to get into the service mode. I fiddled withe settings for about 3 hours. And on 2 later days for 40 minutes each. I went into stress. and decided that nothing's perfect and decided on an acceptable geometry. And so i did. Then i noticed something else..... Whenever there is a single color on the majority of the screen. (for example: fog in a movie) there are two lighter shades of lines that go across the screen. I went into more stress, but decided that its not severe. It still bothered me so i decided to get a new TV (a non-flat screen, 36 inch Panasonic with a Pana-Black picture tube) I realized how much the image quality worsened. to begin with, the panablack thing really messes up the image on dark scenes. (on silent hill video game for example, sometimes it would go black and white. and the whole thing looked very discolored. I returned to my Sony. But I realized that the TV speakers didnt work and there was an obscene yellow line in the middle of the screen when i used composite or RF connections. So i called the tech again. He will be here on saturday. hopefully i can return the TV and get a Sony 36 inch Triniton flatscreen (priced the same as the one i have now) otherwise im gonna be calm, as long as my speakers and that yellow line are gone (hopefully fixing that fog line thing i said earlier)

[ This message was edited by: Mikhail on 2003-09-23 19:28 ]

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-09-23 22:28

A couple of comments.

First, all Sony TVs or computer monitors have the two faint lines that go across the screen. It's how the screen is constructed. They are usually more visible on computer monitors, but they are on all CRT Sonys too.

Since you even noticed that, I think you're have good eyes, and want the best image possible. I think you need a good technician to fix the things that need to be fixed, but you may also want to invest in a ISF calibration. It costs about $350, but I think it may be worthwhile for you.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

Mikhail

Posted: 2003-09-30 20:16

Im rather naive to calibrations though, so perhaps you could explain that a little better

Thanks.

P.S. How can what you say be true if i am seeing these lines for the first time ever on my TV?

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-09-30 23:00

First of all, just want to make sure you're seeing what I'm talking about. Those two horizontal lines go across the screen, and are only about ONE pixel wide. Very fine, and is most visible with a white or light/grey background. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing the bottom one on my Sony 19" monitor as I type - they white/grey color of agoraquest.com makes it quite visible. And trust me, I've had several Sony TVs before, and I never noticed those lines until I buy this monitor and start reading about that. I'm sure many people with Sony TV or monitors may not notice them at all until either they read about them, discover them by accident, or discover them while looking at other flaws/problems on their TV.

As for the calibration, a technician will adjust the geometry, set all the color and brightness settings to a standard, etc... However, they are not TV repairmen, and you should have the other problems fixed first.

-----------------
    -Ray

Mikhail

Posted: 2003-10-01 08:40

well. the lines are surely not 1 pixel wide. they are at least 5 pixels and are very visible. I did forget to mention, the 32 triniton that i am talking about is a TV not a computer monitor.

Is the red color bleeding called "red push" by any chance? that is another problem i am having.

Also i have a problem with sharpness, on some occassions the TV is too sharp, and small objects appear with several outlines. I am however hesitant to address that problem to the technician seeing as it may make the sharpness less since my eyes are adjusted to the current settings. perhaps if there was an option just for outlines. Many people tell me constantly to get a plasma flat screen with automatic adjusting geometry. but they do not understand that it is outside of my budget. I am looking for solutions for the TV i already have.

[ This message was edited by: Mikhail on 2003-10-01 08:43 ]

[ This message was edited by: Mikhail on 2003-10-01 08:44 ]

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-10-01 22:08

If they are at least 5 pixels wide, then forget everything I wrote. It is not what you have.

Red push is not bleeding. Red push is simply an overemphasis of red over blue and green. Bleeding is not red push.

-----------------
    -Ray

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.