Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:214
    Members:0
    Total of:214 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

Optimum Equalizer settings?? Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 8,978
    Last Reply: September 20, 2003, 11:40 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | Ediman | rb | Colossus |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Optimum Equalizer settings??
    Colossus

Posted: 2003-09-19 15:41

Hello guys. I need some help here. My speakers hardly have any Treb. They sound very Flat. Anyone know how I can tune my speakers so they sound the best? I only want it for the Front and Center speakers. On my STR-DE845, here are my currecnt settings:

Front- Bass: +10 @ 500 mhz
    Mid: +2 @ 2.8 khz
    Treb: +10 @ 2.5 khz
    Center- Bass: +10 @ 500 mhz
    Mid: +2 @ 2.8 khz
    Treb: +10 @ 2.5 khz

I have VERY good Polk Audio speakers. The Front speakers are floorstanding RT-2000i's and the Center is a CS-400i.

rb

Posted: 2003-09-19 16:30

Yes start by setting everything at 0 and turn off the EQ.

rb

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2003-09-19 16:34

If you want to use the equalizer to get more Treble to your speakers, there are three octaves in the treble range which are:

Low Treble- 1.3-2.6k hz

Mid Treble- 2.6-5.2k hz

High Treble- 5.2-10.4k hz

Your equalizer is currently accentuating frequencies in the Low Treble range. You might consider bumping the center frequency up into the Mid or High Treble range.

There are also more benign ways to boost the Treble getting to your speakers. What source equipment and wiring are you presently using?

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2003-09-19 16:43 ]

Colossus

Posted: 2003-09-19 17:04

Quote:

On 2003-09-19 16:34, Maxxwire wrote:
    If you want to use the equalizer to get more Treble to your speakers, there are three octaves in the treble range which are:

Low Treble- 1.3-2.6k hz

Mid Treble- 2.6-5.2k hz

High Treble- 5.2-10.4k hz

Your equalizer is currently accentuating frequencies in the Low Treble range. You might consider bumping the center frequency up into the Mid or High Treble range.

There are also more benign ways to boost the Treble getting to your speakers. What source equipment and wiring are you presently using?

-Maxx

-----------------

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2003-09-19 16:43 ]

I'm using all the best Monster Cables and plugs. I have a digital Optical cable to the DVD player and digital Coaxial to the Digital Cable box. I don't want my speakers completely oriented to treble. I want the "rock" preset on most sound systems. (I don't know if you understand what I'm talking about) The equalizer looks like a "U" curve. High level Bass, mid level Midrange, and High level Treble. I can't set it like that because I can't see the whole equalizer. So, I'm looking for approx. values from you guys.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2003-09-19 22:38

To simulate the U or smile setting as it is sometimes called you would set the bass at 100 hz (+10 dB), the midrange at 2.5k hz (0 dB), and the treble at 8-20k hz (+10 dB).

These settings would be a close approximation to the U setting on a 10 band equalizer although the effect is not quite as dramatic with a 3 band Digital equalizer.

-Maxx

-----------------

Colossus

Posted: 2003-09-19 22:41

Quote:

On 2003-09-19 22:38, Maxxwire wrote:
    To simulate the U or smile setting as it is sometimes called you would set the bass at 100 hz (+10 dB), the midrange at 2.5k hz (0 dB), and the treble at 8-20k hz (+10 dB).

These settings would be a close approximation to the U setting on a 10 band equalizer although the effect is not quite as dramatic with a 3 band Digital equalizer.

-Maxx

-----------------

I'll give that a try and tell you what I think..Thanks

Ediman

Posted: 2003-09-20 09:03

Equalizer settings??? Hmm! Oh! you mean the Tone control knob. Well, I don't think that these 3 bands should really have been called an equalizer in the first place. They are more like a Bass...Treble....Midrange type of adjustment device. In my opinion, you should not have to use these, unless the source is really shitty to begin with. I never actually use the equalizer(tone control) on my DA 5es, however, I have set it up for:
    Bass gain/treble gain
    Bass/treble 0 gain
    Bass cut/treble gain
    Bass 0 gain/treble gain
    The midrange is adjusted accordingly with the treble...just a few notches as I would say.

Whenever, I play a really bad source...like some oldies... I use it to dress up the sound a little. Otherwise I use AFD, without anything else to play the source.

Just my opinion... it is not necessarily the right one.
    regards,
    Ediman.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2003-09-20 11:40

Personaly I find AFD or any other DSP processing corrupts the Analog Audio signal. I prefer to use 5.1 Analog bypass and if I find the sound needs to be altered I switch out interconnects until I get the results I'm after.

This does not mean that I don't respect the right others have of experimenting with equalizers or tone controls.

I bought my first Equalizer and Real Time Frequency Spectrum Analyzer w/ Pink Noise Generator back in 1980 and used it every day until I found a more accurate and passive way to control the tone without having to run the delicately detailed Audio signal through a series of filters.

-Maxx

-----------------

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.