Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:220
    Members:0
    Total of:220 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Anyone have the DCT5100 (motorola)? Dashboard
    Replies: 13 | Views: 4,943
    Last Reply: February 25, 2004, 2:27 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    thefaulkner | jehill | Toli | billy1776 | MDiddy | PAF | dmac |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Anyone have the DCT5100 (motorola)?
    thefaulkner

Posted: 2003-09-13 20:13

Is anyone out there using the DCT5100? Is the output switchable between SD and HD? Can I use this box on my NTSC set, or does it only output 1080i? Any thoughts about this box? Worth waiting for something else or no?

Thanks!!

billy1776

Posted: 2004-01-22 09:15

I have this same box (4 days old). Thus far, I am impressed with it (I'm disgusted with my cable company, but that is another story). I have it connected to a KP-51WS510 through component cables. I want it connected via the DVI port but I can't get an answer from the cable company as to whether or not that port is active. I am just now getting my feet wet with it, I'll post more results after the weekend. The HD channels are fantastic, but the standard and digital cable channels are lacking. I have not calibrated the tv, but hope to this weekend.
    -Bill

[ This message was edited by: billy1776 on 2004-01-22 11:57 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-22 17:17

thefaulkner- I have a DCT5100 and I am very happy with it.  Yes, the output is switchable between SD and HD.  Didn't you get a Motorola DCT5100 Set-Up Guide?  It provides all the information that you should need.  As far as I know, its the best digital box presently available.  You can select any of the following outputs:

Check the USER SETTINGS as follows:

With the TV on and the DCT5100 on and connected to one of the TV's component video inputs, turn the DCT5100 off and press the MENU button on the remote.  A list of USER SETTINGS will appear.  I use the following settings:

TV TYPE 16:9 (other choices: 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 panscan)
    YPbPr OUTPUT 1080I (other choices: 720p, 480p, 480i)
    4:3 Override 480I (other choices, 4:3 Override 480i, off)

With the above settings, the DCT5100 will provide a normal 16:9 mode 1080I HDTV input for all HDTV channels and a 4:3 mode 480I input for all other channels.  If your TV has a 16:9 Enhanced Mode and it is ON, your TV will automatically switch to the proper mode.  I use my TV as a monitor only using one component video input for the DCT5100 and the other for my DVD player.  If you have a standard 4:3 TV without a 16:9 Enhanced Mode, you can select TV Type 4:3 letterbox or 4:3 panscan, YPbPr OUTPUT 480i and 4:3 Override off.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

billy1776

Posted: 2004-01-30 10:21

I just recently had the dct5100 I mention above die on me. RCN - Boston is the cable company and they gave me a dct6200 as a replacement. The dvi port is not active, but I am using the component outputs and the picture is fantastic. I have done a little research on the motorola broadband site

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/dct6200/default.asp

and the 6200 doesn't really have many more features. Great picture and versatility though. I hope this one lasts longer than 2 weeks.

-----------------
    KP-51WS510, STR-DE995, Motorola DCT-6200, DVP-S530D, SLV-N71

PAF

Posted: 2004-02-02 16:00

I have the Sony KF50WE610 with the Motorola DCT5100 and they work great together except for one thing.  HDTV is outstanding but I have not been successful with the cable configuration Sony recommends in their manual to support TwinView.  For some reason if I plug the feed from the cable company into the Sony first and out to the DCT5100 it does not allow the component outputs on the DCT5100 to work.  If anyone knows a way around this that would be great!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-02-03 10:23

PAF- What connections are you using when the KF50WE610 and the Motorola DCT5100 work great together?  If  you are using the connections illustrated on p-27 of your manual to support TwinView, you won't get component video unless you also have component video cables from the DCT5100 to Video 5 or 6 as ilustrated on p-39, "Connecting a Digital TV Receiver with component connectors" and select that input.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

MDiddy

Posted: 2004-02-04 11:27

The best way to run with Twin View is, IMO, to run a splitter from the wall, then to the 5100, and a coax to the TV....

I have this setup and am quite pleased with it!

PAF

Posted: 2004-02-04 11:37

John,

Thanks for the reply.  Originally I had to plug the feed from the cable into the cable box first then out to the VHF/UHF port on the Sony and use Video 6 with the component cables.  I have since done some work and got it working via the diagrams in the Sony Wega manual on pggs 27 and 39.  The trick is you have to set the Channel Fix option in the Channel Options menu on the Sony to "Aux 3" (the channel required on the TV to get the signal from the DCT5100) and it works great!  Now if I knew the Manucturer's Code for the DCT5100 for use on my Sony remote control I'd be all set!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-02-05 13:18

PAF- Wait a minute!  If you have the component video connections illustrated on p-39, you don't need the cable between the DCT5100 and the AUX input on the TV illustrated on p-27.  Press the TV/VIDEO button on the remote until Video 6 is selected to view the output from the cable box.  Press the ANT button on the remote to switch to the TV's input.

Actually, I belive that you would be happier with a splitter connected as suggested by MDiddy.  The reason I say that is that the cable box can't communicate with the cable system unless the TV is on and the AUX input is selected with the ANT button.  That means that the cable system's GUIDE can't be updated unless the TV is on.  Not only that, cable box requests for data might be attenuated by the TO CONVERTER connection.

Sony recommends that you use a bidirectional splitter, if you use one, because a standard splitter may attenuate cable box requests for data.  I never had a problem with the splitter that I used to use because I got it from the cable company.

-----------------
    -John

PAF

Posted: 2004-02-05 15:53

Okay guys.  Thanks for your assistance.  I'll try the splitter.  I'll let you know how it goes.

dmac

Posted: 2004-02-19 11:31

On 2004-01-22 17:17, jehill wrote:
    thefaulkner- I have a DCT5100 and I am very happy with it.  Yes, the output is switchable between SD and HD.  Didn't you get a Motorola DCT5100 Set-Up Guide?  It provides all the information that you should need.  As far as I know, its the best digital box presently available.  You can select any of the following outputs:

Check the USER SETTINGS as follows:

With the TV on and the DCT5100 on and connected to one of the TV's component video inputs, turn the DCT5100 off and press the MENU button on the remote.  A list of USER SETTINGS will appear.  I use the following settings:

TV TYPE 16:9 (other choices: 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 panscan)
    YPbPr OUTPUT 1080I (other choices: 720p, 480p, 480i)
    4:3 Override 480I (other choices, 4:3 Override 480i, off)

With the above settings, the DCT5100 will provide a normal 16:9 mode 1080I HDTV input for all HDTV channels and a 4:3 mode 480I input for all other channels.  If your TV has a 16:9 Enhanced Mode and it is ON, your TV will automatically switch to the proper mode.  I use my TV as a monitor only using one component video input for the DCT5100 and the other for my DVD player.  If you have a standard 4:3 TV without a 16:9 Enhanced Mode, you can select TV Type 4:3 letterbox or 4:3 panscan, YPbPr OUTPUT 480i and 4:3 Override off.

I have an LCD rear projection set (the Sony KF50WE610) which converts all inputs to its native 788 resolution.  Wouldn't I be better off setting the DCT5100 to YPbPr OUTPUT 720p in that case?  If I use 1080i, ESPNHD (which is 720p I believe) looks awful and other HD channels seem prone to pixelization and freezing.  1080i also seems to exacerbate the "screen door" type effects in the middle of the set (especially with bright whites).

My experience described above suggests 720p is the better bet in my setup.  Is there anything I'm missing or should be considering?

This is my first post to a forum of any sort so I hope my question is appropriate for this thread.

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-02-19 11:44

dmac- I also have the same TV as you do. I would go with whichever setting gets you the best picture. I have my DirecTv HD receiver (SAT-HD200) set to output at 720p. I feel this is my best picture also. Although it might not be for everyone, depending on the source signal and you region and/or cable/satellite company. Altough, HD technology is new I believe that the picture can have momentary freezing and audio dropouts regardless of the video output setting.

- Toli KF-50WE610, STR-DA7ES, SAT-HD200, DVP-NS715P; KLIPSCH KSF-10.5(2), KSF-S5(2), KSF-C5, KSW-15, XBOX

[ This message was edited by: Toli on 2004-02-19 11:46 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-02-19 14:14

dmac & Toli- I should have mentioned that my XBR450 cannot accomodate a 720p input.  You should always use the setting that appears best to you.  My guess is that less video processing is required in converting 720p to 788p than in converting 1080i to 788p.  Of course, if the original source is 720p, selecting a 1080i output from the SAT box would be a big mistake.  Generally, one should expect more degradation with multiple conversions (720p to 1080i to 788p).

-----------------
    -John

dmac

Posted: 2004-02-25 14:27

Toli and Jehill -- thanks very much for the feedback, it confirms my initial impressions.  I do still get some freezing and pixelization at 720p but it SEEMS much less frequent -- I understand that it may all be transmission related in the end.

Toli, I'm curious whether you have experienced this effect on the Sony set.  There is a centered halo-type effect which is most prominent in HDTV when bright whites are displayed (but not constant), sometimes noticeable in DVDs and rarely if ever noticeable in standard def broadcasts.  I'm pretty sure it's normal for the set (I've seen it in home theater shops' display models as well).  I'm wondering whether the effect can be minimized by settings, etc.  I have yet to calibrate my set at all although I have the Digital Video Essentials DVD ready to go.

Again, thanks for the reponses.  It was much appreciated.  

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.