Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:200
    Members:0
    Total of:200 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: jttar
    Agoraquest Forum Index Computers Troubleshooting

GRX570 screen bad - how to configure external monitor Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 2,891
    Last Reply: April 13, 2009, 6:05 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | Peva | escotty77 | chan1974 | starby | TimCooke |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author GRX570 screen bad - how to configure external monitor
    Peva

Posted: 2003-08-05 08:11

I am working this problem for an employee who is in a remote office (100+ miles away) with a GRX570 Vaio computer (I don't have hands-on access to the computer).

The screen went dim (almost blank/unreadable). Our biggest need is for him to get some visibility and control back so that he can shuttle his data to another computer and get back to doing useful work before sending this one in for repair.

Our immediate needs are therefore to EITHER:
    1) Restore screen brightness even if only temporarily. Any suggestions on that? (I think it's a hardware problem, so this first option may be moot.)
    OR
    2) Get an external TV or monitor working with the Vaio. He plugged an external monitor in, but it is displaying a fixed screen with a Vaio logo I believe he said - no mouse cursor or any controls. How would he configure it for the monitor to work as the primary display? He did not plug a TV in yet - would that work as the primary display, and if so, would any configuring be needed thru control panel or something? Would he have to log in as administrator to access the right controls? (With the dim screen, it's difficult for him to navigate around, but I think not impossible.)

Thanks much for any help!

Peva

Posted: 2003-08-05 10:45

Never mind - we figured it out. Solution to getting the external monitor to work as primary display was hitting the monitor function key to toggle thru the different display modes.

escotty77

Posted: 2004-09-09 07:55

LONG TERM SOLLUTION

First Of all. Stay away from:
    http://laptops.home.att.net/
    www.lcdrepair.net Operated by Robert Mowe. 
    From my personal expierance they only care about the money not you the customer. I have emails to prove it.

Sounds like you might have backlight problems. I am not sure if this could have been caused by the spill. I think one way you can test it is to push the latching tab(where the latch from the screen inserts into the hole to the right of your touch pad) down with a pointed object and see if your screen is brighter for a split second.  When you release the tab the inverter sends a signal to the backlight and it tries to light and usually will only flash and then the inverter cuts out.
    I am not a computer person but I have a GRX570 and I had the same dimmness problem. If you are a little bit technical you can replace the backlight yourself. I sent mine out originally to one company and it cost over 100USD but when the company returned it to me repaired the LCD was completely damaged and the main glass cracked.They told me I should buy a new LCD.I am still bugging them for a new LCD. In turn I bought another used LCD wich needed a backlight and I succesfully replaced it myself after finding a CCFL Tube(backlight). Now I have contact with manufacturer of CCFL tubes and I might be able to help you. Please contact via email.
    The company that did the repair was as follows:
    http://laptops.home.att.net/
    www.lcdrepair.net Operated by Robert Mowe.

chan1974

Posted: 2004-09-29 14:09

escotty77,

I will be grateful to you if you can let me know how to replace the backlight yourself. Mine just gone, symtoms exactly like what you described.

Please also let me know where to buy it

Regards,
    Jackie

starby

Posted: 2005-01-25 18:56

I have made attempts to contact the guy(R Mowe) but he does not reply emails. he is supposed to sent me replacements CCFL. the phone numbers do not work on their websire. BEWARE EVERYONE!
    Please post your experience here....is there anyone to shut them down?

TimCooke

Posted: 2009-04-12 09:56

• Member Quote

On 2005-01-25 18:56, starby wrote:
    I have made attempts to contact the guy(R Mowe) but he does not reply emails. he is supposed to sent me replacements CCFL. the phone numbers do not work on their websire. BEWARE EVERYONE!
    Please post your experience here....is there anyone to shut them down?

Please see the following blog:-

http://robertmowe.blogspot.com/

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-13 18:05

Seems like a lot of people are having issues with Robert Mowe. Not sure if he is in business anymore since I checked for his webpages and they are not active any more.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.