Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:165
    Members:0
    Total of:165 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Television Configuration

Dish Network HDTV Dilemma !HELP! Vertical Compression Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 2,901
    Last Reply: February 11, 2003, 7:39 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    grizbear | bulhead | Ediman |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Dish Network HDTV Dilemma !HELP! Vertical Compression
    bulhead

Posted: 2002-03-17 18:27

I have a Sony Projection KP-53HS30 4x3 HDTV and a Dish Network HD Receiver. My problem is that the receiver outputs the picture in 4X3 1080i format. But when the tv sees the 1080i input it automatically uses vertical compression and cuts of the top and bottom of the picture off. I have played around with some of the service mode functions to no avail. I have a service manual but it doesn't really explain certain things. Please someone help get rid of the black bars!

bulhead

Posted: 2002-03-18 01:17

I'm replying to my own message. How silly. . Actually I figured out a fix for this. One thing I found is that you can set IDSW to a 1 and then change DATA to a 0 to disable 16:9 vertical compression. But, as some of you already know, this data cannot be saved into memory and resets itself after powering the unit off. A slightly more difficult but just as effective way is to set the HD reciever to stretch mode. In this mode on a 4:3 television the picture looks good from left to right but is squashed from top to bottom. I manupulate this by setting APSW to a 1 and then ASPT to the max of 63. This still leaves little bars at the top and bottom, but they can be fixed by playing with VPOS, VSIZ, VSZO, VCEN, and all of the other vertical settings. However, if someone can find a way to enable the DATA setting permanently please let me know for this is a much easier solution. I'm sure Ciper will figure it out.

grizbear

Posted: 2002-03-19 13:42

Bullhead, I have a similar setup, a KP53HS30 but with a Sony HD Directv STB. I am not sure I understand you.

1.Vertical Compression does not cut the picture off; it displays all of the picture. ALL 1080i is 16X9 format, although some programs are 4x3 up-converts…and then you get bars along the sides of the 16x9 window also. At 16X9, turns the 53’ set to a 48” set.

2.Are you trying to watch 1080i programs “full screen” 4x3? [which would lop the sides off] If so your Dish HD receiver may be able to at least give you a work around. On my Directv Sony receiver menu, I can set the output to 480i, select “pan & scan”, tune to the HD source, and let the HS30 DRC convert to 960i or 480p. Actually a very good picture, but the sides are cut off and not real HD. Not something I’d watch, but the “black bars’ are gone.

bulhead

Posted: 2002-03-20 01:24

The Dish Network HD receiver sends a 4:3 HD picture to the television on the channels and programs that are not in 16:9 format. But my television wants to only display a 16:9 picture when it detects a 1080i input. I have found the fix, though, as I described in my first reply. I now have a full 4:3 picture that doesn't cut anything off anywhere running in 1080i mode. I know that it is in 1080i mode because it tells me so when I go into the televisions service mode. Pretty nifty, huh?

bulhead

Posted: 2002-03-21 18:45

None of this really matters anymore. I'm trading my Sony 53" 4:3 HDTV in for a Sony 57" 16:9 HDTV. I figure if I'm watching regular TV, the screen will be big enough to watch even if the picture doesn't fill the entire horizontal screen. With the 16:9 57" television, watching 4:3 broadcasting will still be like watching a 45" television. But now I will have full screen DVD and High Definition pictures.

grizbear

Posted: 2002-03-22 11:20

That is until you display a 2.35:1 DVD on your 1.78:1 [16x9] display....

bulhead

Posted: 2002-03-25 04:44

Evey DVD I have seen is either Widescreen only or has the option for either. I rented AI last night and it was freakin gorgeous. I'll never have another 4:3 television again. Wider is Better.
    By the way, the movie sucks.

Ediman

Posted: 2003-02-11 07:39

Hi, would like to know how to get into the service menu for this tv: Sony Projection KP-53HS30. Could you please give me the instructions to it.

Thanks

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.