Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:172
    Members:0
    Total of:172 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Playstation 2 players club

Which Light Gun is Compatible? Dashboard
    Replies: 16 | Views: 8,037
    Last Reply: January 13, 2004, 5:21 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    SimonBirchNYC | GMGQ | Witchboard | MHC | JIMMYBO | greypatch3 | dakar4x4 |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Which Light Gun is Compatible?
    GMGQ

Posted: 2003-07-07 17:59

I've got a Sony KP-65WV700 RPTV, and my GunCon doesn't work with it

Does anyone know of a light gun that WILL work with this TV? Thanks in advance!

Witchboard

Posted: 2003-07-11 13:49

I'm not sure if the light guns work with projection TVs. There is a new one out called a Scorpion 3 that is 100Hz compatible. I've also seen a GunCon faq that had a list of TV's they did and did not work with. Hitting google with the right key words may help. Good luck.

JIMMYBO

Posted: 2003-08-25 09:21

Hi GMGQ, I think that Whichboard has hit on the problem, most RPTVs are 100Hz so this will prevent the vast majority of light guns working on them, but as suggested the new Scorpion is 100Hz compatible so it should work on your T.V. however, note the warning in your PS2 maual that the machine is not to be used on RPTVs.

-----------------
    Toshiba 36ZP18Q, STRVA555ES, Arcam Diva CD92T, Denon DV2900, Rotel RB-03, Kef Q55.2 Front, Kef Q 35.2 Side, Kef Q35.2 Rear, Kef Q9c Center, Kef PSW 2500, QED Silver Anniversary Bi Wire all Speakers, Qed Qunex Interconnects all Connections, IXOS Banana Plu

MHC

Posted: 2003-09-18 15:58

I just brought one from Play-Asia that is suppose to be 100Mhz compatible, but on the box it says it will NOT work with Projection TV (Don't know if they mean front projection). I will be trying it out tonight on my RPTV. It is suppose to be HDTV compatible as well, but, not HD from my PS2......
    Although I suppose Sony DRC will change it to 480P.....Is that HD ?

The funny thing is, I could have swear that all the Time Crisis 2/3 games in the arcade are on RPTVs......

MHC

Posted: 2003-10-02 14:56

Just for completeness, my supposely 100Mhz compatible light gun does NOT work with my RPTV.

I am actually somewhat confused aboout the 100Mhz. Since it is CRT, there is really beam of light reflecting off the screen.......There isn't a frequency to speak off from a scanning point of view, right ?

Anyway, still searching for a light gun that will work on RPTV. I was sure there used to be a pelican gun that claims it will work on RP and HD TVs......

Witchboard

Posted: 2003-10-06 13:30

It's 100Hz the frequency, not 100Mhz the speed. Just for clarification. It's the frequency of the monitor that projects the image onto the screen. Kind of like a CRT monitor you can change the frequency in the setup. It's unfortunate that your gun didn't work. At one point I found a list of lightguns and RPTV's they worked with. I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find it again. But I remember that some guns worked on some but not other RPTV's. I'm not sure what the differences were since I don't have any games that require a gun and didn't take the time to look hard.

Edit: Hmm.. I'm seeing it as both 100Hz & 100Mhz. I wonder if there's a difference or if they are talking about the same thing.

[ This message was edited by: Witchboard on 2003-10-06 13:38 ]

greypatch3

Posted: 2003-10-08 22:19

So, just a guess here...I assume there's no way in the world I'll be getting the original Time Crisis to work on my component video PS2 hookup with my CRT, 16:9 TV. Tried multiple times to get it to work somehow but it just won't register, even with a composite (I hope that's the right one to use for the single, yellow RCA plug...I keep getting the two mixed up) hookup. I don't think my TV is supposed to be incompatible, but then, they keep saying the original Guncon won't work on those kinds of TVs anyway, even with a Guncon2-style gun in Guncon 1 mode.

Witchboard

Posted: 2003-10-10 10:07

If you TV isn't a rear projection set then it may be possible to get it to work. I haven't seen any component cables with the gun connection. Maybe I just haven't seen them, but with new TV technology and the outdated gun games, it will probably be difficult to get it working. I use an old 27" set to play all my PS1 shooting games in the bedroom.

dakar4x4

Posted: 2003-11-28 08:10

Hey guys... I've found a way to make the GUNCON2 work with 100hz TV's.

So far I've only be able to confirm Time Crisis 2 and Time Crisis 3.

When on the Calibration screen. Point the GUNCON2 away from the screen. Hold trigger and press the SELECT button (it's on the Left hand side of the gun, nearest the muzzle). This will put the calibration into 100hz mode and a little 100Hz message will appear on-screen to confirm this.

It's then possible to calibrate as normal.

I've done this with my Sony KX32FQ70U 100hz digital scan TV and it works perfectly!

Enjoy

Jon.

SimonBirchNYC

Posted: 2003-12-03 22:55

Great info dakar!

However, since I'm in the USA, I dunno what the equivalent of your set is here. I noticed specific examples of RPTV sets, but has anyone here gotten their Sony CRT set to work with the Guncon2 yet? The sets I have are the 40XBR800 and the 32FS100. Please advise if the Guncon2 will work or if another gun will (Scorpion 3?).

I would buy the Guncon2 and test it, but the salespeople stated that since it comes bundled with Time Crisis 3, if I open the box, it's as if I opened the game and that would render it un-returnable.

Thanks guys.

GMGQ

Posted: 2003-12-05 10:51

Wow, I didn't even know this thread was still active!

Actually, I recently bought the Scorpion 3 lightgun, and it didn't work with my 65" HDTV. Same problem as the Guncons (sporatic behavior all over the screen).

Since then, I installed my PSX to a regular 20" CRT TV in my room, and am enjoying gun games again (the laser sight on the Scorpion is so cool!).

dakar4x4: Great advice, I will have to give that a try! I'm surprised Namco never mentioned this??

PS, BTW JIMMYBO, I believe the PS2 manual says it should not be used on a RPTV, because they don't want to be liable if you get Screen Burn from all the static graphics in the games.

SimonBirchNYC

Posted: 2003-12-05 15:50

But has anyone managed to get it to work with flat screen crt sets (like the 40XBR800 or the 32FS100)? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

dakar4x4

Posted: 2003-12-10 07:25

> dakar4x4: Great advice,
    No worries, my pleasure.

> I will have to give that a try!
    > I'm surprised Namco never mentioned this??

Yup, me too.. I can only assume it failed to get translated to english or is not a fully compatible and supported thing. Either way, it works for me!

Cheers & Happy Holidays

J

SimonBirchNYC

Posted: 2004-01-09 15:04

Well, I took the plunge and imported the BLACK japanese Guncon2 from lik-sang. I followed dakar4x4's advice and sure enough, it goes into progressive scan mode and calibrates perfectly! Thanks SO much!

Only one prob though, I can't get it to work on my 40XBR800, but it works like a charm on my 32FS100. When I do the dakar4x4 trick (wow, you got a trick named after you now !) on the 40XBR800, the crosshair still won't center properly. I've been told by my geek buddies at EBoutique that XBR sets will not work with ANY lightgun (even Xbox?...darn..) Oh well, still a great game and happy to be able to play it. Thanks again! 

dakar4x4

Posted: 2004-01-12 05:10

Hey Simon, glad you're working Ok... But tell me, what's this 'Black GunCon2'? Mine are a horrible Blue colour, Black sounds much nicer! Do you have a URL of where you got yours from?

TIA

Jon.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.