Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:225
    Members:0
    Total of:225 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

How to change from UK to European settings Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,771
    Last Reply: July 30, 2005, 3:23 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    duncan | MaxUK | sjenkins | defunkt | the_funky_monkey_disco |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author How to change from UK to European settings
    sjenkins

Posted: 2003-07-02 06:35

Hello all,

I'm new here and need some help.

I have a sony kv-29x5u Trinitron television. It's a UK model, and I now live in the Netherlands. Does anybody know how I can change the settings on this to work properly ?

Currently I get a picture but no sound, and I can not tune in all the channels that I can on a friends very very old phillips tv that I have borrowed.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

MaxUK

Posted: 2003-07-03 18:51

Hi Simon.

First of all, in the UK they use only UHF channels, while in Holland both UHF and VHF, thus you can't tune in into some of the channels.

If you take the set to the nearest TV repair shop, they will fit a new UHF+VHF tuner and convert the sound at the same time. Don't know what the prices are like down there, but I would guess a new tuner plus labour should be between 150-200 Euro.

duncan

Posted: 2003-07-04 07:19

Some very naughty people take advantage of this difference. If you buy a Euro spec TV and then use it in the UK you can tune into VHF signals...why would you want to do this I hear you all ask? Well, some cable companies use VHF to transmit the supposed "encrypted" channels, iun actual fact the cable box just have a UHF/VHF tuner. You can then tune in without paying. I don't know if this is still possible...

This post is for information only, it could just be an urban Myth, either way, don't try it as it could damage your eyes with all those late night 'free' channels.

sjenkins

Posted: 2003-07-04 10:24

So your telling me that Sony produce four different specs of the same model of television ? UK, France, West Europe and East Europe ?

Surely the settings are changeable in the service menu ? Maybe not for France because of the Secam standard, but the others ?

Simon

MaxUK

Posted: 2003-07-08 19:46

Hi Simon.

Yes, Sony produce several different versions of the same model for UK, West Europe, East Europe etc.
    In UK models, they use simplified version of the tuner were only UHF band is present. This version of the tuner maybe just a few pounds cheaper than full UHF+VHF version, but when you take into account the number of sets sold in the UK it can save them millions of pounds.

defunkt

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:03

On 2003-07-02 06:35, sjenkins wrote:
    Hello all,

I'm new here and need some help.

I have a sony kv-29x5u Trinitron television. It's a UK model, and I now live in the Netherlands. Does anybody know how I can change the settings on this to work properly ?

Currently I get a picture but no sound, and I can not tune in all the channels that I can on a friends very very old phillips tv that I have borrowed.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

defunkt

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:05

Simon,

I am sorry I can't help you, but I have a similar eqnuiry.

Would anyone know if the Sony Trinitron KV-29X5U TV will operate normally in Australia without modificaion?

cheers
    David

the_funky_monkey_disco

Posted: 2005-07-30 15:23

On 2005-07-25 10:05, defunkt wrote:
    Simon,

I am sorry I can't help you, but I have a similar eqnuiry.

Would anyone know if the Sony Trinitron KV-29X5U TV will operate normally in Australia without modificaion?

cheers
    David

Hi mate

Taking an English TV to Australia is v.risky, if not only for the possible damage caused in transport but also the magnetic changes in the enviroment, it would cause a serious manipulation on the screen which an engineer may not be able to remedy.

Hope this helps

-----------------
    How much wood, would a Woodchuck, chuck if a Woodchuck could navigate a quantum nutrino field?

KDEP37XS1
    DVPCX860
    VTXD800U
    DAVLF1
    RDRGX7 (soon to be a RDRHXD910)
    ERS210A (I know he's not AV but he lives on my DAV)

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.