Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:184
    Members:0
    Total of:184 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Cinema mode on KVR34-XBR800 Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,466
    Last Reply: April 21, 2003, 12:43 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Jeff_Lam | amelam | aguiar5 | jonathang |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Cinema mode on KVR34-XBR800
    jonathang

Posted: 2003-04-12 08:46

Hi All,
    I just receive my new TV set KVR34-XBR800 and i find it wonderful. I have calibrated it with the Sound & Vision Calibration disc.

The question i have is about the black bars appearing on DVD with a wider aspect ratio (2:35, 2:40, etc...). I don't have any zoom feature on my DVD player.

I thought it was possible to make the TV fill the screen entirely even for these wider ratios. But i tried all the cinema mode (Zoom, Wide Zoom, Normal and Full) and i cannot makes the black bars totally disappear. Is that normal ?

My second question is which cinema mode is the one to use if i want to view an anamorphic DVD with the "native" aspect ratio without stretch of any kind. It looks natural for me to select "Normal" but this mode display a little 16/9 picture in the middle of the screen on 16/9 or wider aspect ratio source. Very weird... "Zoom" seems to be the more natural, but the fact it is called "Zoom" make me doubt about it. Any idea ?

Thanks a lot.
    Jonathan, new owner of a KVR34-XBR800

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-04-14 12:33

Did you set your DVD player to output 16x9?

Sound's like you didn't do this yet as you say everything looks right in normal mode with an anamorphic dvd. Go into your DVD player menu and set it to output 16x9 or 16x9 wide mode (whichever it's called). This is very important!!! Do this first, then everything else should fall into place.

Now you can use the wide mode or wide zoom for 2.35:1 films but I highly suggest you try to get used to the small bars as when you zoom, you lose video resolution as well as part of the picture.

Use FULL for anamorphic DVD's, normal for 4x3 show's and DVD's that you do not want stretched or zoomed but be carefull of burn in. If you aren't watching the show very seriously then use the zoom, stretch or wide mode for 4x3 shows to help prevent burn in. And make sure your contrast is set low (arround 40%).

For non anamorphic DVD's you must use zoom to get the correct aspect ratio.

aguiar5

Posted: 2003-04-15 18:33

On my 34 xbr800 I always use the full mode with my dvds. 2:35 aspect will have the bars, but that's the way it was intended to be watched. Aspect 1:85 on the full mode will fill the whole screen.

jonathang

Posted: 2003-04-18 22:30

Thanks for you replies.

There something i don't figure out in your answers...

My DVD Player (Pioneer DV-414) is set correctly to "Wide" mode.

I didn't said the "Normal" mode looks right.. The ratio is correct but the image is a waaayyy to small. There is a large black contour all around the image. I'd say it is as large as a 4:3 image in normal mode but thinner because of the ratio...

What i meant is, if the normal mode is the mode to use (for no stretch of any kind) for 4:3 signal, why it does not have the same effect on anamorphic 16:9. The user manual is not clear on cinema modes. It indicates they are for 4:3 signal, but it also indicates the Zoom mode should be used for "Letterbox" movie.

aguiar5, i don't understand how your 1:85 movies can fill the whole screen in Full mode since it is documented in the manual that this mode only stretch the picture horizontally. btw, i don't understand either how you manage to look all your movies in this mode since it distord the picture considerably. Worst on 2:35 or 2:40 aspect ratios...

Maybe my DVD player is defective i don't know... I tried to compare all modes on the TV, with the DVD Player set as "Normal" and set as "Large" and the display results are the same ! Maybe a defect of my player. I have it since 4 years and i never see any problem before (it was always set in "Normal" mode on the 27" older TV set). If i understand well, when you guys are setting you TV on "Normal" mode with an anamorphic DVD, the picture touch both side of the screen ? Not me, it's exactly as large as 4:3 signal.

Thanks.

jonathang

Posted: 2003-04-19 11:19

Finally, i tried the DVD Player of my best friend and tried it in Wide mode on my TV. I made a direct side-by-side comparison with mine. And my DVD Player is defect for sure. It's evident. With a "good" player, the Full mode is the way to go for anamorphic DVD, and the zoom mode fill the entire screen (thing i cannot do right now because of the defect). I'll have to change for a brand new DVD player with a built-in de-interlacer.

One question about progressive player. What mode should we select on the TV when we're using a progressive signal from the DVD player? (Cinemotion, Progressive, or interlaced)

thanks

amelam

Posted: 2003-04-19 13:25

jonathan,
    you want to use tv's progressive mode for progressive output on dvd player (making sure dvd player is set to 16:9 and progressive mode, too). If my memory serves me right, you'll notice that cinemotion isn't an option when receiving a progressive signal from your dvd player, but the cinemotion is good for vcr and regular tv signals. also, to reinforce what has been said above, normal mode is only for 4:3 signals and will put the black bars on the sides. wide zoom mode is good for 4:3 signals, also, since it only crops top and bottom of image slightly to fill the entire screen. zoom mode is reserved for non-anamorphic dvds, like Field of Dreams, for instance, or for uncommon widescreen video tapes. All anamorphic or enhanced for wide screen dvds should use full mode. your dvd player may or may not have a zoom mode, but it won't matter if you want to see the dvd as intended. 1:85 anamorphic dvds will fill the screen in full mode, but 2:35 anamorphic dvds will still have slight black bars on top and bottom in full mode. this is normal; using zoom mode with it will distort image. hope you enjoy your xbr800; ours has been great. one more tip I have found: movie mode on the "pic mode" control is best for setting up for movies as it gives best contrast and detail for watching in dark settings. standard and pro modes can be set up ok for daytime viewing. hope this is helpful.

jonathang

Posted: 2003-04-19 13:53

Thanks Amelam,

After inspecting very carefully my DVD Player user manual, i found the option i must set in the setup. I remembered this option was very deeply hide in the setup menu. Now eveything works fine ! The full mode is OK, The normal mode looks squeezed (which is ok for anamorphic) and zoom mode fills the screen !

Thanks for your help everyone.
    Regards.
    Jonathan

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-04-21 12:43

Actually, your TV will dissable all advanced video settings when fed a Progressive picture from a PS DVD player. The Cinemotion, interlaced, progressive setings will be greyed out and you can't change them. You can only use these in interlaced output from the DVD player.

SO, I assume you figured it out with your player??? I knew the player was set up wrong because of what you had mentioned. As a base use:

Full for anamorphic widescreen DVD and 16x9 HDTV broadcasts.

Zoom for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's and 4x3 programming you want to fill the screen (unimportant programs to you, or just backround noise, to prevent uneven burn in).

Normal for your important 4x3 viewing (4x3 DVD movies, favorite 4x3 shows that you do not want to be stretched or cropped.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.