Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:221
    Members:0
    Total of:221 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

kv32hv600 - 16:9, anamorphic, vertical res, oh my! Dashboard
    Replies: 2 | Views: 1,373
    Last Reply: March 4, 2003, 12:29 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Jeff_Lam | fhn | sledgmb |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author kv32hv600 - 16:9, anamorphic, vertical res, oh my!
    sledgmb

Posted: 2003-03-04 09:38

hi all. just bought this set saturday. a little confused on the whole 16:9 enhanced mode thing. hate to bring it up again, but i can't find a CLEAR explanation, so here's what i've noticed:

i always buy "widescreen" dvd's. i never buy "fullscreen".

i currently use an xbox for my dvd player. not progressive. it's hooked up via the monster component cables.

upon playing dvd's, when you switch "16:9 enhanced mode" from "auto" to "on", sometimes it will vertically compress the image, other times it won't. it depends upon the dvd.

can someone explain why this is and the relation to anamorphic dvd's? in somewhat plain english?

thanx,
    sledgmb

fhn

Posted: 2003-03-04 11:08

DVDs labeled with "anamorphic" will provide higher resolution if you set your DVD player and monitor to 16:9 mode. Non anamorphic DVD title will behave like a regular DVD movie with no bump in picture quality. If you try to compress a non-anamorphic signal, then the picture may look "distorted".

Not all widescreen titles carry the "anamorphic" logo. Without the anamorphic coding, you will not realize the benefit of 16:9 mode. Always set your DVD to output 16:9 signal. And connect the component-out of the DVD player to the component-in of the monitor. When an anamorphic DVD is present, the Sony should switch to 16:9 mode if you configure the set to AUTO mode.

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-03-04 12:29

To add to that...

Anamorphic DVD's or "Enhanced for 16x9 Televisions" (same thing) are pre stretched virtically already in a 4x3 frame. When it's played on a 16x9 set, the TV stretches it horizontally to fix the aspect ratio and have everything look the way it should. This can also be done by squeezing it virtically (16x9 enhanced mode).
    To take advantage of this you must set your DVD player to output 16x9 and you must play an enhanced (anamorphic) DVD. If the TV didn't squeeze it, you would notice that everything looks tall and thin, but by enabling the squeeze mode everything looks right and you get 33% more resolution by not wasting the scan lines that would normally occupy the area in the black bars. Instead, those scan lines are used in the actual picture and the black bars are "dead space" which contain no usable scan lines (unless it's a 2.35:1 ratio film).

A non anamorphic DVD is burned with the black bars in the 4x3 picture so no matter how you play it the TV will think that the black bars are a part of the picture because they were burned on the picture for that DVD.

The black bars will contain scan lines and theres nothing you can do about it. When these DVDs are played, the 16x9 enhanced mode should be off. The sony's have auto sensing which is awesome as it will read the DVD and automatically squeeze the enhanced DVD's. It's really a great feature.

Just leave your DVD player set to 16x9 at all times and your TV to Auto. The TV will take care of the rest.

Heres a little site that may explain anamorphic DVD a little better:

Anamorphic Widescreen

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.