Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:193
    Members:1
    Total of:194 users
    MemberLogged
    ag1386.9 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Twinview / PIP Dashboard
    Replies: 10 | Views: 2,877
    Last Reply: March 6, 2003, 10:23 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    dacaine | cebuano | jay_winter | SmokeyInc | sledgmb |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Twinview / PIP
    SmokeyInc

Posted: 2003-02-28 04:34

Ok, here it goes. I have owned an XBR450 for about 10 months now, LOVE IT. The problem that has plagued me is the Twinview. I have a Satellite (DirecTV) system. It comes from the wall, to the box and then I used the S-Video connection to go to the TV. How do I get this darn thing working??? It took anger throughout the football season for me to get to the bottom of this

Thanks in advance!!!

[ This message was edited by: SmokeyInc on 2003-02-28 07:32 ]

cebuano

Posted: 2003-02-28 08:27

I have my DirecTV hooked up the same way as you on my 40XBR800. Your problem isn't clear to me in your message. What exactly isn't working for you? Twinview?

Steve

jay_winter

Posted: 2003-02-28 14:15

If you were expecting to be able to see an alternate channel in PIP/Twinview, well... that only only works if the TV can tune in another channel simultaneously (which you can't with DirecTV), or another source, like a VCR... or another DirecTV converter box (but you'd still have to tune it manually).

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-28 15:22

Yes, the problem appears to be that you aren't using two tuners (which would be required if, for example, you wanted to watch two programs on different directv channels at the same time). Without the second tuner, which could be your tv's built-in NTSC tuner if you wanted to go with an antenna or cable on top of directv, Twinview will be useless to you.

SmokeyInc

Posted: 2003-03-01 00:20

Here is the dilemma more in depth. I want to be able to use one DirecTV box, and watch 2 different channels using the Twinview feature. Two of you mentioned it is not possible? Would I have to have 2 DirecTV boxes in order to make use of this Twinview feature? Do either of you know if the DirecTV boxes output through all output (S-Vidoe, COAX, etc..) at the same time? If so in theory would I be able to have one output using S-Video and another using composite for instance? If someone could provide the solution, all available solutions if they are different, to allow me to make use of this Twinview feature.

Also, if using let's say another DirecTV box, I would need to use 2 DirecTV remotes to tune in the 2 different channels correct?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Help ;/

[ This message was edited by: SmokeyInc on 2003-03-01 19:05 ]

SmokeyInc

Posted: 2003-03-01 19:06

Bump ;/

-----------------
    Enlightened: ffs you newbs are killing me here
    Newbie: We can't kill you, we are on your team...DUH!
    Enlightened: sigh

Good Ol' UT

SmokeyInc

Posted: 2003-03-02 18:21

Come on people, save me!!!

-----------------

Good Ol' UT

jay_winter

Posted: 2003-03-03 09:00

SmokeyInc: It's your DirecTV box... don't you know what comes out of it? And if you know of some way to get two different channels out of it at the same time, there's a whole BUNCH of folks out here who'd like to know how!

dacaine

Posted: 2003-03-03 19:39

The only directv stbs that I know of that have two tuners built-in are the directivos, i.e., the directv tuners with tivo built in.

Otherwise, you are correct in assuming that you will need two directv boxes to use twinview with two different directv channels.

Even if you could view a channel using two different outputs (S-video and composite, for example) at the same time, wouldn't you still be viewing the same channel? I think the answer is yes unless your directv stb has two different tuners. As I mentioned, most don't. Even if you had one that did (which is unlikely unless you have a directivo), you would need to have two different lines coming into your stb from the dish and the dish would have to have a dual lnb. Without some extra equipment, you can't run one line from your dish to your box and use it to feed two different tuners.

SmokeyInc

Posted: 2003-03-04 00:47

dacaine, Thanks for the clarification. Don't know what I was thinking in regards to using multiple outputs, (ie...same channel will be broadcasted) Also made me aware that PIP is merely marketing hoop-lah.

Thanks.

-----------------

Good Ol' UT

sledgmb

Posted: 2003-03-06 10:23

only hooplah if you're only using a directv stb. oh, and the directivos do have 2 tuners, but only 1 output as far as i know.

but twinview is an awesome feature for me. i play xbox and play online a good bit. sometimes in sports games people will put the game on pause rather than lose the game. they hope you'll get frustrated and just quit the game. well, with twinview, you can just go back to watching television (since it's on a different input into the tv) while keeping tabs on the status of your pauser. VERY cool feature for this problem.

but alas, i have regular old cable, so twinview works there too.

good luck,
    sledgmb

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.