Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:181
    Members:0
    Total of:181 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Confused on 16:9 enhanced Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 2,227
    Last Reply: March 3, 2003, 10:42 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Jeff_Lam | sandorbond | markster | 191145 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Confused on 16:9 enhanced

Posted: 2003-02-22 22:57

I set my DVD to output in widescreen and progressive mode on and my TV is set to 16:9 Auto but if I switch 16:9 to on it crunches the bars even more, is that how its supposed to work? Not sure of the proper setup here.

Sony KV-36HS500

Thanks in advance

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-24 13:27

It's possible your TV does not auto squeeze a progressive signal but only an interlaced one.

Make sure you are set to 16x9 output on your DVD player. You should see it autosqueeze when you play an anamorphic DVD. It's very important that you use an anamorphic DVD or one that says "enhanced for 16x9 televisions" on the back cover.

Test in in interlaced mode first. If it works propperly, try it again in progressive scan. If it does not squeeze (picture will look tall and thin) then you have a problem. Your TV does not autosqueeze a progressive signal. You will have to do it manually or set up a macro on a capable remote to do it in one press of a button.

My 32HV600 does it automatically with my panasonic CP72 PS player. I was afraid it might not as I have heard that the 4x3 sony RPTV's do not but it does so I am releived. Mabe the HS models differ from the XBR as my HV is basically the XBR.

What player do you have?

Posted: 2003-02-24 15:47

I have a phillips 724 pro scan. I dont think my tv is auto detecting it. When in pro scan it will come up with black bars but when I manually put it in 16:9 I seem to get another smaller set of black bars or slightly grey bars and the picture gets slightly smaller vertically. It looks great. But is this what should happen.

I tried output in interlace and the same thing happens, so should I always turn on 16:9?

Thanks for the reply, as I just bought the tv friday

Mike

markster

Posted: 2003-02-24 20:56

Its ok man that how it works .U get a better pic but it is a bit smaller.

sandorbond

Posted: 2003-02-28 22:42

unless the DVD is "anamorphic" the actual picture is 4:3 and your DVD player should be set to 4:3, and the TV to auto.

THe only way to really get a full resolution 16:9 image is to view only anamorphic DVD's

Sandor

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-03-03 13:59

Sandor,
    The TV displays the same picture on non anamorphic DVD's wether the player is set to 4x3 or 16x9. There is no need to switch back and forth if you have the 16x9 enhanced mode on your TV.

sandorbond

Posted: 2003-03-03 22:42

Yes it will switch automatically but, the image is not really the same. If the DVD is non-anamorphic, the TV will stay in 4:3 mode, and in effect you are only using 2/3 of the pixels to display the image. 1/3 is wasted on black bars. If the DVD is anamorphic, the TV automatically switches to 16:9 but in doing so, the full resolution of the television is used to display the 16:9 image, in effect greatly increasing the resolution of the image.

Sandor

[ This message was edited by: sandorbond on 2003-03-03 22:43 ]

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.