Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:197
    Members:1
    Total of:198 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire82 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

KV-40XBR800 pixelation? Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,897
    Last Reply: February 20, 2003, 10:40 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Jeff_Lam | sandorbond | spud | Ken6217 | jirvin007 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-40XBR800 pixelation?
    spud

Posted: 2003-02-17 19:17

I've had my KV-40XBR800 for a couple of days now and I'm very pleased. My only question so far is: what settings can I try to minimize some of the pixelation (might be the wrong word but "grainyness", etc.) from my DirecTV receiver?

I'm running a decent s-video cable directly into the tv and some channels look better than others. I applied the red push adjustment others have talked about and didn't really notice much difference.

The DVD playback, as expected, is stunning but I watch about 75% satellite and 25% DVD so.....

Any insight, tips much appreciated!

Thanks

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-18 12:45

It's mostly the "garbage in... garbage out" syndrom. The satellite signal isn't perfect and the bigger TV's just blow it up even more. Not much you can do about it.

Try adjusting the pallete setting to 1,1 for reality and clarity under advanced video settings. Try different patllete settings and see if you can help it at all.

How close do you sit? Maybe you are too close.

sandorbond

Posted: 2003-02-19 19:51

The problem is that DirecTV changes the compression rate of different channels, so depending on what you are watching and when, the quality may look very different. Most upper tier programs, HBO, PPV, etc, get a larger slice of the bitstream and therefore look better.

Sandor

spud

Posted: 2003-02-19 20:25

I just tried a little experiment: I hooked up a monster composite cable on video 3 and a monster s-video on video 2 - both coming from my hughes Directv receiver. I'd heard that using the comp. cable would allow the comb filtering in the TV to kick in and could "smooth out" some of the blockiness. I noticed no difference in pixelation but did notice the colr was more vivid with the s-video cable. So much for that theory.....

Ken6217

Posted: 2003-02-19 20:45

I am trying to decide on the KV-40XBR800. I have read a lot of the posts regarding pixelation. Unfortunatelythe stores that I went into were using a HD source so I could not get a good idea of how the tv will look with Direct TV. Is the problem THAT BAD? I will be sitting 10 - 11 ft away. Would the 36" set be better or should I just go with the 36" analog set (KV-36FV300). I am replacing my trustworthy 32 xbr2.

I had a bad experience with my old 65" Mitsubishi HD set and it was great for DVD and Hi Def but was horrible for watching satellite. I couldn't even read the numbers on the back of football jerseys.

I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Ken

spud

Posted: 2003-02-19 22:43

As a new (3 days) owner of the xbr40 I have to admit I'm surprised by the pixelation on certain channels. However from what I've read this is not an issue with the tv but rather the quality of the directv signal. It's also not consistent - the hbo and pbs channels have a stunning picture. Viewing distance also impacts the degree of pixelation you see - anything beyond 8-10 feet

I think going to anything smaller would probably lessen the pixelation effect but I don't regret getting the xbr40 - especially when watching dvds

spud

Posted: 2003-02-19 22:46

I didn't really comment on "how bad" it was earlier. I would classify it as noticeable, but not horrendous. It certainly isn't so bad you couldn't read numbers on jerseys.

jirvin007

Posted: 2003-02-20 10:40

I've had mine about a week now, sit about 12 feet away, and I must say I'm very depressed about the DISHNetwork signal and it's compression. However, this isn't the TV's fault.

I'm thinking about switching over to the Co-ax to see if that makes any difference.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.