Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:238
    Members:1
    Total of:239 users
    MemberLogged
    eldo4720.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Television Configuration

Do I need HDTV tuner or Set-Top box if...??? Dashboard
    Replies: 4 | Views: 1,400
    Last Reply: March 23, 2003, 4:34 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    NOVAwhiteTypeS | n_plasma | Jeff_Lam | Sasha68 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Do I need HDTV tuner or Set-Top box if...???
    Sasha68

Posted: 2003-02-17 14:44

I got SONY HDTV Ready KV-36xbr800 Pro-Scan and SONY DVP-NS715P with progressive scan dvd player.
    I am very pleased with a quality of DVD. Unfortunately my area doesn’t have digital cable and I am not ready to get satellite now. I am a DVD person.
    1) Please tell me if I NEED TO BUY hdtv tuner or sony set-top box to get better quality from my DVD player on my TV and why……( I am using component connection and progressive scan mode on TV and DVD ) Can I get 1080i quality from DVD on TV and how???
    2) How can I know or where can I check that magic numbers (480, 720 and 1080)
    Sorry, guys I get confused in that ocean information.
    Thank you, for your help.
    Happy New Year!!!
    Sasha

n_plasma

Posted: 2003-02-17 14:55

Connect your DVD player directly to your TV using component cables (not composite cables!). This will give you the best quality.

Most progressive DVD players can put 480p. Just put your DVD in progressive mode, and it will do this. I don't think there are too many DVD players that can do better - i've heard of 720p from a DVD but don't know anything about this.

HDTV will give you a better picture, up to 1080i. But DVD won't be this good, though it will be better than standard definition (analog or digital) cable.

Incidentally, digital cable is not the same as high-definition. Cable companies are pretty misleading about this.

Your TV may have a display button which will show you what type of signal it's receiving. Then again, it may not (mine does).

good luck,

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-17 16:15

An HDTV receiver has nothing to do with DVD.

What you need to do is:

Go into the DVD player menu and set it to 16x9 output. Go into your TV's menu and set the 16x9 enhanced mode feature to AUTO.

This will give you the best possible resolution for DVD.

To use progressive scan you must use component video cables. Make sure they are connected propperly to either input 5 or 6 with the red blue and green cable (component video). Enable progressive scan on the dvd player.

You can check to make sure you are in 480p by going into the service menu on your TV, or if it does that flicker thing when you turn on and off the progressive scan on the dvd player. You can also check to see if the "advanced" video setting is grey (disabled). This means you are in 480p.

Sasha68

Posted: 2003-02-17 16:33

Quote:

On 2003-02-17 16:15, Jeff_Lam wrote:
    An HDTV receiver has nothing to do with DVD....

Thank You.
    Sasha

[ This message was edited by: Sasha68 on 2003-02-17 16:34 ]

NOVAwhiteTypeS

Posted: 2003-03-23 16:34

my cable company provides a HD Digital cable box , so no need for an expensive HD Tuner , now there talking about a HD Digital Video recorder too.

so Tivo + HD tuner + Digital cable box all for 13.99 a month

-----------------
    TV: 40XBR800
    Reciever: STR-DE875
    Speakers: SA-VE525
    DVD: DVP-NS715P
    VCR: SLV-N55
    Remote: RM-AV3000
    Digicam: MVC-CD200

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.