Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:224
    Members:0
    Total of:224 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » DVD

NEW DAV Series Firmware Dashboard
    Replies: 44 | Views: 16,776
    Last Reply: September 27, 2004, 10:35 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    SharkyMark | n_plasma | Tiny_Turtle | Trump3 | jannes1 | gcyber | scurvy | Warp2Search | DS | gsdev | kinto | Pmartin | jehill | Jero | Vax | Ogiers | The_KELRaTH | ohotos | DeepBlueXL | bleekerm | jtinkess | dvdchips | Mr_Mod | JeanLoo | hippo13 | Unom |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 3
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author NEW DAV Series Firmware
    The_KELRaTH

Posted: 2003-06-10 03:21

My S550 has 1.24 and as well as reading CDR it's fine with DVD-R media too.

Jero

Posted: 2003-06-10 06:33

Quote:

On 2003-06-09 06:49, Jero wrote:
    [quote]
    On 2003-04-15 11:49, Ogiers wrote:
    I'm thinking if buying a DAVS 550

According to my information a DAV-S550 cannot read CD-R media.[/quote]

Sorry, I made a mistake. I was referring to the DAV-S300 (instead of DAV-S550) which is certainly not capable of reading CD-R media (see earlier posts in this forum).

Greetings,
    Jero

bleekerm

Posted: 2003-12-03 05:03

The DAV-S550 Firmware story continues.....

I'm just another client with a firmware version of 1.07
    With all the subtitle end CD-start problems.

What is the latest tested Frimware release for my set ??
    I'm about to return the unit to Modern Electronics for repair.
    Hopefully they will push SONY to install the latest version.

To be continued....

DeepBlueXL

Posted: 2003-12-05 06:25

Hey guys!
    I have the DAV-S 888 nearly the same like 880 but with active Sub.
    Hmm i never had problems or even noticed a layer change..
    I think you should enter the Service In Menu and let the DVD set the correct settings for DVD-Single, Duallayer...
    I have the 1.36 Software version...and had no problems..
    greetz!

dvdchips

Posted: 2004-01-11 18:13

This is the email I have just sent out to all my DAVS550 / 880 / 888 Multiregion upgrade customers ...........

If you have IF Con Version 1.07 or lower then you should certainly be thinking about contacting your supplier to get a firmware upgrade.  You could give the subtitle problem as the reason you require an upgrade. See the link below for more information on the firmware problems.

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5192&forum=50

If you have a firmware version higher than IF Con 1.07 and lower than IF Con 1.24 there dont appear to be any major problems however you may still feel you would like an upgrade if you are within the warranty period.

You should however be aware that Sony may refuse to upgrade the player for free on the grounds that you have modified it , also the player may return from the service centre as Region 2 and you will then of course need the remote again.

In the case of you needing the remote again we will provide this at the much discounted price of £10 by clicking on the link below.

[ link removed for obvious reasons ]

The reason we have taken an interest in this subject is that three customers complained to us about their machines resetting to Region 2 at some time after using the upgrade remote. Upon investigation this would seem to only happen on units with IF Con Version 1.07 or lower and then it only happens when you play a disc ( Sony or Columbia Tristar ) that has the Jacket_P folder on it. This folder holds Mpeg2 images and these are displayed while the disc is in Stop mode on Sony DVD players. Examples of discs with this folder on them are Spiderman , Bad Boys 2 region 1 and Michael Jacksons Number Ones Region 2.  There may of course be others so if you have IF Con 1.07 be aware that playing a disc with one of these folders could reset it.

Basically what it comes down to is that these players were released with very buggy firmware and it seems this is what is causing the problems , there is nothing wrong with our Multiregion upgrade when applied to a reliable machine but we try to help our customers whereever possible.

Regards

Steve
    www.dvdchips.co.uk

JeanLoo

Posted: 2004-02-05 16:46

Well!
    I've bought a DAV S-550 in Sweden where I live.
    It was last year and I'm afraid the warranty will soon be over.
    As mentioned in this topic I noticed this freezing of the movies that happen sometimes during a couple of seconds. Not so serious, but let's say... unpleasant, for a so costly machine. I also noticed some potential troubles in the subtitles, but I'm not sure.
    My questions are:
    should I go to the shop before the end of warranty period, describe the findings here above and ask them for an upgrade? How to convince them that the warranty shall apply? How to manage then that they upgrade it to V1.30? Sombdy could share a similar experiment?
    Your advices are welcome!! 

Mr_Mod
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-02-06 06:11

I have access to the firmware for these players for the US market, I dont know what the differences are with the US and Euro models . I also dont know how the firmware is loaded into the player either, if there is interest i can place somewhere if there is someone whom can host them

Tiny_Turtle

Posted: 2004-02-06 07:29

Hej Jean och välkommen till Agoraquest!

I think you definately should take it to the place you bought it before the warranty period is over. Your player is producing errors which is something you shouldn't have to accept. Whether or not they would like to try something besides upgrading the firmware first should be up to the service shop. Where did you buy it?

/Tiny Jakobsberg

-----------------
    STR-DB930 (w/ RM-LJ304), DVP-NS900V, MDS-JA20ES, CDP-CX220, KV29-FX20, SLV-SE70, DSC-P120 (512MB), MZ-E909 (w/ MDR-EX70SP), CMD-Z5

gsdev

Posted: 2004-02-09 20:28

An update on my DAV S550, my firmware is 1.24. Something new came up. Menu's do not work for SVCD's. I have a no name DVD player and in that the MENU's work fine for SVCD's.

I have some home movies which i converted from VHS to SVCD with MENU's & chapters but they dont show up with the DAV S 550. The "PBC" is not detected with SVCD's

Could someone please check if they work with firmware later than 1.24, or is this a permanent problem in all sets, even with ver 1.3x.

Your feed back will help me alot

Thanks.

jtinkess

Posted: 2004-02-20 16:20

Has anyone been successful in getting their DAV-C990 repaired? My machine has the skips, they changed the optical pickup and that didnt help.

the tech at the local sony repair shop, said that was the only tech note on that unit. He also mentioned that sony are very hard to deal with.

I showed him track 15 of LOTR-TTT, i think it be during layer changes, it seems to lose it on long disks.

my rom version was 1.24 and the if version was 1.07-- i forget the others. And naturally it came off warranty last month

I told him he needs to find 1.3, i dont 1.24 has the bugs out of it yet.

Any help appreciated,

james

jannes1

Posted: 2004-02-27 14:25

Mr_Mod

Can you send me the firmware that you have.  I am also in the US and I would like to see if I can get it loaded.

Thanks,
    jannes1

hippo13

Posted: 2004-09-23 18:14

Hi!

I know its a while since the last post, but if anybody can send me the latest firmware for my DAV C990 or a link it would make my weeks dealing with Sony Canada and getting nowhere almost worth while.

My current version is IF: 1.07, syscon 1.24

Thanks,

James

(Email Address will not display unless member has 100 posts or is a Premium Member, see the great benefits premium member have by clicking here)

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-24 17:03

Version 1.46 of the firmware is included in Service Bulletin E18220679, last updated on 1/12/2004, "Subtitles randomly appear when watching a DVD".  I cannot provide you with the files, but your local authorized Sony service center should be able to install it.  If the firmware can't be installed, meaning that you have a write-once ROM, it will be necessary to order a new ROM.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Unom

Posted: 2004-09-27 05:41

Hi!
    here is another One with "freeze" problems on my DAVS 550. It usually starts after palying for abaut 1-11/2 hour, it freezes and is not possbile to restart yuou have to turn it off. I have the following firmware:
    If con ver       1.10
    SYScon ver     1.30
    Front end ver  1.17

1. could someone sort out the diffrent fimware versions?
    2. what firmware version would be appropriate to use?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-27 10:35

No service bulletins have been issued on the DAVS550 to date. This indicates that there are no firmware upgrades.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 3
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.