Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:203
    Members:1
    Total of:204 users
    MemberLogged
    Mr_Mod1.7 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index DVD

NEW DAV Series Firmware Dashboard
    Replies: 44 | Views: 16,778
    Last Reply: September 27, 2004, 10:35 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    SharkyMark | n_plasma | Tiny_Turtle | Trump3 | jannes1 | gcyber | scurvy | Warp2Search | DS | gsdev | kinto | Pmartin | jehill | Jero | Vax | Ogiers | The_KELRaTH | ohotos | DeepBlueXL | bleekerm | jtinkess | dvdchips | Mr_Mod | JeanLoo | hippo13 | Unom |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author NEW DAV Series Firmware
    DS

Posted: 2003-03-04 06:06

Hi,

I notice you mentioned that SACDs' are now properly recognised. I have an S880 on V1.24 and it does not recognise SACD at all. I spent hours on the phone with Sony and in the end the only thing they can suggest is to send out an engineer. Maybe they will just upgrade to V1.30.

Does SACD now play? and can you see any extra menu's e.g. select between PCM or SACD?

Thanks,

Pmartin

Posted: 2003-03-08 11:24

Quote:

On 2003-02-28 08:40, kinto wrote:
    had the 880 for a week and noticed a delay after an hour or so in the same spot on "oceans eleven". I assume this is "moving between" DVD layers.

Does this firmware revision (1.3) fix this or do I have a duffer..or is this an "undocumented" feature of the 880...and advise appreciated.

you may guess..I'm hot on putting words in quotes.

null

I am also experiencing the same effect between 1hr and 1hr 15 mins on virtually all DVD's on my S550.The picture freezes and the audio cuts out for a fraction of a second. I don't know what firmware level I'm running but am also wondering if an upgrade will cure this very annoying problem ???

Jero

Posted: 2003-03-22 10:56

I have the following problems with my Sony DAV-S880 DVD player during DVD playback. After a while (about 1 hour) watching a DVD I hear a ticking sound. When I stop and resume the movie the problem seems to be solved. But after a while things get worse: it looks like the movie pauses time after time. When I whant to use the remote controll in the DVD menu I don't see the cursor! The menu does work but with no cursor. The only solution is to shutdown and restart the DVD player.

I have the following questions:
    1. Does someone know how to solve these problems?
    2. Are these problems related to a bug in the firmware software?
    3. Can a firmware update be performed without any hardware modifications, e.g. is a software update possible on my DVD player (see version information below)?
    4. Does someone know where to get the firmware update?

version information:
    IF con 1.07
    Sys con 1.25 (0720)
    Front end ver 1.17
    Rom revision 1.24

Thanks,
    Jerome

[ This message was edited by: Jero on 2003-03-22 10:58 ]

SharkyMark

Posted: 2003-03-22 11:13

@Pmartin

The stopping of sound and picture has to do with the fact that the player has to change from one layer on the DVD to another.
    There is nothing wrong with your equipment. My DVP-S9000ES does exactly the same.

Jero

Posted: 2003-03-23 03:27

Quote:

On 2003-03-22 11:13, SharkyMark wrote:
    @Pmartin

The stopping of sound and picture has to do with the fact that the player has to change from one layer on the DVD to another.
    There is nothing wrong with your equipment. My DVP-S9000ES does exactly the same.

My option is that cann't be normal behaviour. Before the DVD player stops playing completely I see the 'Dolby Digital'-light on the front panel blinking. I see a fixed screen an hear no sound, it looks like I pressed the pause buttin (but I didn't). Besides after that I don't see a cursor in the DVD menu. This can't be normal operation?

n_plasma

Posted: 2003-03-23 22:28

that's normal. it freezes for 1-2 seconds before continuing. the subtitle issues are a problem, but the freezing isn't.

Jero

Posted: 2003-03-27 01:24

Quote:

On 2003-03-23 22:28, n_plasma wrote:
    that's normal. it freezes for 1-2 seconds before continuing. the subtitle issues are a problem, but the freezing isn't.

Hi n_plasma,

If I play the DVD in my computer's DVD-player then the movie plays smoothly without any interuptions. Do you mean that this is normal operation of the DAV-S880?

One single time the DAV-S880 frooze the movie and didn't resume anymore, I had to use the stop button. Afterwards the DVD-menu didn't work properly because the cursor didn't appear. Does this sounds familiar to you? What can I do against it?

Thanks,
    Jero

n_plasma

Posted: 2003-03-27 18:44

The pausing between layer changes is normal in many DVD players, including the DAV series.

As for freezing and not continuing, that's not normal. It may be a problem in the DAV model; however, and whether Sony has a fix for that I don't know. I don't know much about fixing that one, sorry!

Trump3

Posted: 2003-03-29 17:51

Hi,

Does anyone know if upgrading my firmware will affect my DAV880's capability as a multi region player?

Also, is it true that all DAV880 with 1.24 firmware can't not read SACD? I don't have any SACD to test.

Anyone can verify the above? Thanks.

Vax

Posted: 2003-04-06 01:52

Trump3
    Posted: 2003-03-29 17:51

Also, is it true that all DAV880 with 1.24 firmware can't not read SACD? I don't have any SACD to test.

----------

I think my DAV S880 has the 1.24 firmware, and I've try with 2 SACD (offers with the DAV) and the two works perfectly.

[ This message was edited by: Vax on 2003-04-06 01:53 ]

Ogiers

Posted: 2003-04-15 11:49

I'm thinking if buying a DAVS 550 - do you think a retailer could tell me if the one I might buy has the "firmware v1.30"? And how could I check this in the shop?

I really cannot be bothered with sending stuff back, and would rather buy something else than go through returns trauma.

Thanks

-----------------
    Cardinal

Trump3

Posted: 2003-04-18 06:52

Quote:

On 2003-04-06 01:52, Vax wrote:

I think my DAV S880 has the 1.24 firmware, and I've try with 2 SACD (offers with the DAV) and the two works perfectly.

[ This message was edited by: Vax on 2003-04-06 01:53 ]

Vax, thanks for the info.

I am thinking of upgrading my firmware to 1.30. Recently the subtitles keep disappearing half way thru a movie.

ohotos

Posted: 2003-06-02 10:44

I just set up my brand new DAV C770 yesterday. Mine has revision 1.24 and is close to perfect:
    -DVD playback: perfect, very slight delay (nearly unnoticeable freezing) during layer change
    -CD playback: perfect
    -MP3 playback: perfect
    -SACD: didn't have a disc to test yet
    -SVCD: didn't test yet

Overall I am very happy with the unit so far, I was somewhat worried about buying it by previous posts but I just went for it and it prooved to be the right decision.
    The power is more than correct for a 20sqm room.

Jero

Posted: 2003-06-09 06:49

Quote:

On 2003-04-15 11:49, Ogiers wrote:
    I'm thinking if buying a DAVS 550

According to my information a DAV-S550 cannot read CD-R media. Are you sure you want to buy this?

Greetings,
    Jero

gsdev

Posted: 2003-06-10 00:22

Jero,

I have a DAV S550 it works well with CD-R & CD-RW disks. Also i have tested it with SACD & MP3 they all work. My version is 1.24

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.