Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:235
    Members:1
    Total of:236 users
    MemberLogged
    eldo4720.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Standard settings on 40XBR800 Dashboard
    Replies: 18 | Views: 11,066
    Last Reply: July 14, 2003, 11:15 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Jeff_Lam | ralfo | Freddy1 | Rcpilot_971 | renibats | woody1 | andykn |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Standard settings on 40XBR800
    Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-05 22:06

Sorry if this is an age old question but..here goes. On my 40XBR800, On standard format, what settings will give me the best picture? In numbers please(1-64)not percentages. Thank you..........

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-06 12:25

All settings will vary from set to set so my best settings may not work so well with your set but should get you fairly close.
    I have a Sony 32HV600.

I use PRO, Warm, SVM off.

picture ~22/64
    Brightness ~35/64
    Color ~33/64
    Hue 32/64
    sharpness ~26/64

Keep in mind these can vary by DVD player also. Best thing to do is get a calibration DVD like AVIA or Video Essentials to calibrate these settings.

I use interlaced for DRC and palette setting of 65 reality and 45 clarity.
    (this will vary with input source), If you have progressive DVD, these DRC options will not be available to use.

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-06 12:32

Thanks Jeff, Im gonna try those settings now. Does anyone out there have a 40XBR800 with some settings, just in case Jeff's settings dont work out due to it being a different set(not sure if it matters). Thanks....

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-06 12:41

Did you disable the red push?

You will need to do that too. But if you are not familiar with the service menu, Be very carefull!!!

Here are the instructions from my reply to a previous thread:

Quote:
    You don't want to go playing around in the service menu if you don't know what you are doing. If you decide to change anything you need to write down all the values first just in case. If you make big mistakes you can ruin your TV.

To get into the service mode make sure the TV is off, on the TV's remote press [display] then [5] then [vol +] then [power]. The set will turn on with a lot of green numbers and letters on the screen. You are now in the service mode. Be extremely careful in the service mode!

The first thing you want to do when you get in the service menu is get familiar with it.
    Use [1] and [4] on the remote to scroll up and down by single items, use [2] and [5] to scroll up and down by group, and use [3] and [6] to change values of the item. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING YET UNTIL YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THE SERVICE MENU AND YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN THE ORIGINAL VALUES FOR EACH REGISTER YOU PLAN TO CHANGE!!! [Muting] then [Enter] will save the setting into memory.

Once you are familiar with the service menu you should fix the red push.
    On my 32HV600 I fixed it by using group 2170P-4. Once you find this group, scroll up and down by single item using [1] and [4] till you find RYR, RYB, GYR, and GYB. Use [3] and [6] to change the value of the register.

I changed:
    RYR from 8 to 15. (red)
    RYB from 9 to 15. (red)
    GYR from 9 to 11. (green)(may vary a little)
    GYB from 6 to 10. (green)(may also vary)

press [muting] then [enter] to write into memory, this will save it.

I also changed LRGB in group 2170P-4 item #31.

This controls the on-screen display intensity/brightness. I found this to be far too bright for my contrast(picture) setting which I set at under 40% to keep things from getting washed out and also to prevent burn in. Keep your contrast low!!!
    Anyway I found it very difficult to calibrate and found things too bright with the display on the screen so I toned LRGB down to 0. This helped a lot. If you keep your contrast(picture) high you may not find the on screen display too bright. If you have your set calibrated at the proper contrast level you will find that the display is far too bright. Tone it down.

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-06 16:12

Thanks Jeff, very informative response. Im new to this and apprehensive about going into the service menu mode although it doesnt sound to bad as long as Im careful. If I screw up or dont feel comfortable about something, can I exit the menu and all the default modes be re-instated automatically? Also, is going into the service menu a normal and regular thing with XBR owners? Thanks.............

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-07 09:43

Jeff, just did the Red Push. Exactly how you explained. Thanks. Any other tips? I just got the TV(40XBR800) a few days ago and Im trying to get the best picture out of it.

Rcpilot_971

Posted: 2003-02-08 12:48

Hello
    I just got a 36XBR800 a month ago and I do not see the red push you guys are talking about is it only on the older models or maybe I don't know what am looking for I am new to this my old tv was a 27in and it was 15 years old so this new 36XBR looks great to me but reading this post makes me wonder if it could look better

Thanks Tim

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-08 15:56

Tim, this mod will work on your TV, I just did it to my 40XBR800. Just follow Jeff's instructions and you'll be fine. My only tip is that when you perform the mod, first put the TV on an input(video1,video2,video3,etc..)NOT in use. Also, in order to get to the service menu, you have to press a few buttons ending with the "POWER" button. You have to press the buttons kinda quick or else it wont work. Thats it, good luck.......

Rcpilot_971

Posted: 2003-02-08 23:23

Ok thanks Feddy1

when you did the mod did you see a big difference in the picture Im not sure what I'm looking for

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-09 01:10

From what I've read it's a popular mod for our sets. Try it out and see if it suits your taste. You can reverse it if your not happy. I did it and was pleased with the results. Warmer, softer picture. Just make sure you follow the instructions exactly, if your not sure about something, just turn off the set and start over. When you get it right, press mute and then enter to store your changes into memory. Like Jeff says, write down the numbers where your set is at now(mine were exactly like his) and then make the changes. If your not satisfied, you can put them back to the factory settings.

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-10 18:53

Sony and many other brands are notorious for having too much red in the picture. Especially if you are using the "Warm" setting which is the NTSC standard and should get you close to D6500K temp. I know alot of you don't understand all that stuff and to tell you the truth I don't understand all that stuff either but I do understand quite a bit. Anyway, if you don't have a calibration DVD, I highly suggest getting one to get the best possible picture out of your TV on your own (without professional calibration). When this is done you should see very very red fleshtones and the red will look over driven. We call this red push. Almost all the TV mfrs have this on their sets. Best way to test this is play a good film based DVD (such as 5th element superbit or similar). You will notice the skintomes look sunburnt, overly red and unnatural. Go into the service menu and try the red push fix. You will definitelly notice a difference. You can do the adjustment while playing the DVD.

Now you can turn up the color level and the other colors jump out and become more vibrant. Those of you that don't see red push probably have they color setting very low which hides the red push but also dulls out the other colors.
    My color setting is set 1 bar over half way. Before I fixed the red push this made the picture way oversaturated with red.

Do the tweak yourself and if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-10 21:49

Thanks again Jeff!!! Gonna bring up the color now and see what happens.

woody1

Posted: 2003-05-21 17:49

Jeff,
    I am not asking about calibration. I know how to do that as I have taken the courses and have all the calibration equipment to adjust the colors without having to use just the DVD things. My question is about the DRC adjustments. I just upgraded from the KV-36XBR400 to the KV-40XBR800. All I need to know is what settings of the DRC V1 comes closest to the DRC settings of the 400 so that I don't have to make all the adjustments. Thanks very much! Woody

woody1

Posted: 2003-05-21 19:07

Jeff, Also did your suggestions on the red push..did it without even using the Avia or Video Essentials or my calibration equip. Went by your numbers. Works super compared to factory settings. It truly does bring out more detail on the other colors. Woody

ralfo

Posted: 2003-05-23 10:07

MODE= STANDARD
    PICTURE= 19/64
    BRIGHTNESS= 42/64
    COLOR= 32/64 (50%)
    HUE= 50% (default)
    SHARPNESS= 47/64
    COLOR TEMP=WARM (NTSC)
    Clear Edge VM = OFF
    DRC MODE=CINEMOTION
    DRC Palette=Custom1 CLEARITY=1 and REALITY=1
    16:9=AUTO

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.