Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:244
    Members:0
    Total of:244 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Ľ Ľ Television Configuration

KV32HS500 ISF Calibration? Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 2,067
    Last Reply: February 24, 2003, 3:49 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    swisssy | pwalker | Jeff_Lam | Weaseloid123 | dacaine |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV32HS500 ISF Calibration?
    pwalker

Posted: 2003-02-05 19:14

I am considering purchasing the KV32HS500 and would like some advice about correcting the common pitfalls of the WEGA TV's. I currently have a 27FS100 but I'm returning it due to the horizontal lines not being level. When I adjust the bottom horizontal line to level using the "tilt" feature, the top line is off. I looked at the 32HS500 in the store and noticed some bowing of the image along the bottom.

My question is would ISF calibration solve some of these issues? I guess it would be worth the money if after it is done everything was displayed properly level and straight.

Would welcome any comments you have about the above TV and adjusting the picture.

Thanks! Phil

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-05 19:55

I think most of the Wega tvs experience some geometry problems out of the box. Just from some brief reading on this site, I have seen lots of messages regarding service menu corrections to the geometry.

I just had an ISF calibration done on my KD-34XBR2. It was pretty good to begin with. The calibration made it better (with the exception that the guy wasn't sure how to adjust the pin cushioning, which he is going to help me to do after I found the right codes).

But, the calibration is expensive. For me, it cost $610 for geometry plus red push correction. This is in the Bay Area, CA, though where everything seems to be a bit more expensive. Good luck.

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-06 12:33

dacaine,
    I hope you got a lot more than just geometry and red push done for that price.

Who did your calibration?

I hope it was Robert Busch or Robert Jones(Mr Bob). They are the two of the best in the area and probably the country. Robert Busch was one of the original ISF guys and studied right along side of Joe Kane.

For that price I hope you got everything done... Grey Scale, Geometry, Convergence, Focus, etc...

Weaseloid123

Posted: 2003-02-10 17:56

Just did some geometry and red push corrections on my KV 32 HS500. I used the service manual and the Avia DVD. I found that things have improved and now I have a truer looking image. The geometry is not perfect but it's as close as I can get it without getting a service tech to add magnetic strips to adjust the beam. Still a slight misconvergence at the left and right edges but a Sony service tech friend of mine says it is well with in the limits of Sony. For those who are interested, this was my first time doing a service manual adjust and it is not really that hard as long as you go slow and write down every inital value as well as you new settings incase you make a mistake. I only dealt with Vert and Horiz geometry and red push so not too much can go wrong. Right now my overscan with theAvia DVD is 4% all the way around. Anyone have a suggestion on how low it should go?

BTW I'm looking into getting the ISF cal done but the guy is from out of town so it's going to cost me.

[ This message was edited by: Weaseloid123 on 2003-02-10 18:02 ]

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-19 14:52

Jeff-

I did get all that you mentioned below and I did use one of the people that you mentioned. The $610 included the standard stuff (gray scale, geometry, convergence, etc.) red push travel. I thought it was a bit pricey, but I figured I'd give it a try.

I thought the guy did a nice job, but was a little displeased that he didn't know that much about the KD-34XBR2. This caused him to have me run out to Radio Shack to get some attenuators to correct red push because he initially thought that it couldn't be done in the Service Menu. Later, he found the correct settings and I returned the Radio Shack stuff. Also, he wasn't able to correct some of the geometry problems because he didn't know the right settings. He told me that it is the customer's responsibility to provide the service manual and asked whether he told me this when we set up the appointment. He hadn't.

While he was working, I searched the Internet and found a link to the service manual from this site. I printed off portions (the whole thing was 200 pages), but he didn't really spend too much time looking at it. Later, I reviewed the manual and was able to do some final tweaking and adjustments myself. (He did give me some pointers over e-mail to make these adjustments, but hasn't stopped by to check the results even though I asked him to.)

The tv does look better now, but I would have been much happier if he had studied the service manual (or at least had told me to have it) before working on the tv.

swisssy

Posted: 2003-02-19 15:54

I have had the HS for about 4 months and have been very happy with it. Initially I had a unit that had to be returned because of arcing. I haven't seen this problem discussed a lot so I assume it is rare.

As for ISF:

I opted not to get an ISF because of two reasons:

1) There isnít one close and travel would cost me as much as the TV
    2) I am adventurous and donít mind tinkering in the service menu (Cautiously of course Ė write it all down!)

My out of box was a bit to dark or to bright depending on the setting, so I used standard for the first 25-50 hours until I decided it was time to AVIA.

Geometry is the only problem I have been unable to cure. I donít however, believe it is probable to get a perfect grid, so slight variations at the edges are inevitable. Normal viewing never shows the problems except on 16x9 there is a slight downward slant to the extreme right of the picture upper limit. Not sure it is correctable and the normal viewer would never notice if I didnít point it out. Again, I donít believe a perfect grid is probable. If you get one, thank the DV Gods. An ISF might do better than I have, but I donít think they will cure it.

If you have the money to spare go for it. Otherwise I would invest the money somewhere else in your system.

-----------------
    Peter

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-21 16:42

dacaine,
    Had to have been Mr. Bob then right? He is very expensive and also suggest's you buy the mannual before the calibration. That surprises me very much that it seemed he didn't know what he was doing as far as geometry goes as he is one of the premier ISF techs around. Although he does speciallize more in RPTV's.

He quoted me $450 travel for my 32HV600, red push would be $100 more, This would run me at least $650-700. Good thing I already know how to fix it.

Anyway, Robert Busch quoted me $350 including travel and includes color decoding (red push). I may go with him. Also, Gregg Loewen will be in the area in the summer for a Runco confrence of some kind. I'm trying to decide who to use. Both will be close to the same price which will be much cheaper than Mr. Bob.

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-24 15:49

Jeff-

I'd prefer not to say which individual I used on this forum, but I was generally happy with the result (after a bit of further tweaking myself).

I'd be interested in finding out more about what you've done with your set as I'm not sure what was done exactly to solve the red push issue on mine. If you want to discuss further, I'd be happy to be a bit more candid (
    (Email Address will not display unless member has 100 posts or is a Premium Member, see the great benefits premium member have by clicking here)
    ).

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.