Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:226
    Members:0
    Total of:226 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Calibration of KD-34XBR2 Dashboard
    Replies: 8 | Views: 1,680
    Last Reply: March 3, 2003, 8:18 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Jeff_Lam | importspeed24v | dacaine | julianandrews |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Calibration of KD-34XBR2
    dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-05 16:17

I had my 34XBR2 calibrated the other day and the guy who was doing the calibration could not find any setting in the service menu to vertically bow the horizontal line. He suggested that there was no way to do this on the 34XBR2, but wasn't sure. Using the Video Essentials disk, you could (most noticeably at the bottom of the screen) see that the picture bent somewhat from the center towards the left and right bottom corners. I believe this is called "pin cushioning."

Does anyone know whether this can be adjusted and if so what code is used to do the adjustment from within the service menu?

(The guy was able to do pretty much everything else from converging the set, to fixing other geometry problems, to eliminating the set's red push.)

[ This message was edited by: dacaine on 2003-02-05 16:17 ]

julianandrews

Posted: 2003-02-05 20:22

The adjustment that you are looking for is called VPIN.

It can be found under:

Device Name Item Name
    2150D-1 6 VPIN

I hope this helps..

Julian

-----------------

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-05 20:28

Thanks. That was my suspicion after looking at the KD-34XBR2 service manual, but I wasn't sure whether I also would need to play with UCP or LCP (#s 7 and 8 respectively in CXA2150D-2). My guess is that I don't since the rest of CXA2150D-2 appears to relate to horizontal pin adjustments to the vertical lines.

[ This message was edited by: dacaine on 2003-02-05 20:28 ]

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-19 14:55

Just an update for anybody who might find this useful. I ended up tweaking a whole bunch of things including VCEN and VPIN (both in 2150D-1). I also played around a bit with the horizontal bowing of the vertical lines (2150D-2) and the dynamic convergence. It's pretty much set now, but took several hours to get just right. Following the service manual, approx. pp. 15-34, was a big help.

importspeed24v

Posted: 2003-02-27 13:45

Where can one find out how to remove the red push from the 34XBR2? I have the service manual and find it difficult to understand. I want to remove it. I saw somewhere that someone said to just change the AXIS to 0. Is this correct?

dacaine

Posted: 2003-02-28 00:58

I wish I could tell you, but the ISF Calibrator did this. I didn't play with it at all and I'm not sure what needs to be adjusted. Best I can suggest is to take a look at the service manual (although I don't think it provides enough explanation to tell):

http://service-asc.sel.sony.com/SonyESI/pdf/99659160.3/manual.pdf

importspeed24v

Posted: 2003-03-02 18:02

dacaine,

I got the manual and all and I can not seem to find the control to do so. Its not really apparent, but I would still like to do it. Did you see a big improvement after the ISF calibation? i have been thinking about doing this, but I want to get a better DVD player before doing so. Any comments or suggestions? Also, what was the cost of the ISF Calibration? Thanks for all your help!

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-03-03 13:53

Red Push should be AXIS or AXPL. Try these and see if it helps with the red push. Write down your original settings!!!

BTW, the newer sets (XBR800's) use RYR, RYB, GYR, and GYB, for red push.

[ This message was edited by: Jeff_Lam on 2003-03-03 13:54 ]

dacaine

Posted: 2003-03-03 20:18

As I look back at the notes that the ISF Calibrator made from my calibration, it appears that his red push adjustments were much more complicated than just adjusting the AXIS setting, which is there for the 34XBR2.

Also, there aren't any settings RYR, RYB, GYR, and GYB as far as I can tell. Jeff, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see these in the service manual. I saw corrections made to a number of different settings to adjust red push.

I guess bottom line is that I think you pretty much need a calibration or a knowledge of several menus worth of settings to fix red push and get the best color possible from the 34XBR2.

The calibration likely costs anywhere between $350 and $700 depending on where in the country you are and who the calibrator is.

After calibration, I do notice a difference. In addition to geometry corrections, which have given me more screen area, I think the color reproduction is much improved. This is probably is the result of fixing gray scale, convergence and red push. I notice more detail in the dark areas, more natural colors (e.g., people's faces are not so red), and more vibrant blues and greens (also, I think, because the picture is less red overall).

On the other side, the set is pretty good to begin with. It does have some red push, but it isn't terrible in the movie-warm setting.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.