Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:182
    Members:0
    Total of:182 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

What Cables for 40XBR800 Dashboard
    Replies: 19 | Views: 3,370
    Last Reply: March 23, 2003, 4:31 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    paulaceto | NOVAwhiteTypeS | kmmd | Freddy1 | jay_winter |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author What Cables for 40XBR800
    Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-04 15:57

I just got the 40XBR800. What cables will give me the best picture? S-video,component,or digital coax? I also have the HD200 and an Integra 7.3 receiver.

paulaceto

Posted: 2003-02-04 16:23

Component cables will give you the best picture if that output is available (usually only on DVD players but there may be some cable boxes that provide them). The next best is S-Video (VCR or cable box). Bypass the receiver altogether for the video. Note that digital coax is used for audio.

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-04 20:27

I forgot to mention the DVD player(Integra DPS-8.3). Ok, so I Bypass the A/V receiver(video) and go straight to the TV. This from the DVD player and the sat. receiver?

kmmd

Posted: 2003-02-04 21:18

Hi Freddy1! Welcome and congrats on your new XBR!

I also have the 40XBR800 and SAT-HD200. I agree with paulaceto in using component cables for your DVD player and bypassing the receiver. For my satellite receiver, I use the supplied DVI cable into Video 7. I've been happy with the picture, and I haven't tried the component cable outputs even though I have a set of Monster M1000CVs lying around. (I'll try it one of these days.) However, I do recall an earlier post that the DVI and component cables yield pictures of equal quality. I am also considering this DVI cable:
    Monster Cable M500DVI
    Has anyone tried this cable yet?

Anyway, I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-04 23:36

Thanks guys! Ok, so DVI from the sat. receiver to the T.V. and component video from the DVD player to the T.V.. This leaves the Audio part. How about optical from the sat. receiver to the A/V receiver and digital coax from the DVD player to the A/v receiver?

paulaceto

Posted: 2003-02-05 05:58

SHHH! You're opening up a big can of worms that was quietly closed recently. There are those who swear digital coax sounds better and there are those (like me) who swear there is no difference between coax and optical. For more on this discussion, see:
    http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1599&forum=51

[ This message was edited by: paulaceto on 2003-02-05 10:52 ]

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-05 10:43

Paulaceto, sorry about opening that can but the reason I said that was because the Sony HD200 only has digital optical out(no coax). While the DVD player(Integra DPS-8.3)has both optical and digital coax outputs. I guess I can run both optical out to the receiver and put the lid back on that can.......what do you think?

paulaceto

Posted: 2003-02-05 10:53

There is no reason why you can't. I run optical myself.

kmmd

Posted: 2003-02-05 12:10

Hello again!

Oh no, the cat's out of the box...again. j/k

Freddie1, you're correct in saying that the HD200 has an optical output only for surround sound purposes. I recently acquired the Audioquest Optilink 4 cable, thanks to Maxxwire, and like it very much. However, you must remember that this cable will really shine when there are surround signals (such as some movies and shows on HBO, Showtime, HDNet, etc.). Otherwise I also have regular analog interconnects (Transparent Music Link Supers) directly connected to the TV. (You may also connect a set directly to your receiver, but this will only provide two channel audio.)

As for your DVD player, you can use the digital coax or fiber optic. I'm sorry Paul, but I'm a digital coax fan myself. I am currently using PS Audio's Digital xStream cable and find it to be phenomenal for home theater purposes. But again, it is a matter of taste...coax or fiber optic.

Perhaps this may be a good time to experiment Freddie1. Since you have to use fiber optic for the HD200, why not try a digital coax from your DVD player to receiver and swap the cable with your fiber optic cable on the satellite receiver? (Please make sure that you can return the cable that isn't to your liking.) This way you can do your own in-home test!

Please let us know how it goes! Enjoy!

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-05 13:15

KMMD, thats a good idea. I can try that. As far as cables go(here we go with that can of worms again) Im on a limited budget and was looking into "Bettercables". Whats the word on those????

kmmd

Posted: 2003-02-05 14:08

Hi Freddy1,

I've heard good things about Bettercables. I've also heard good things about Ultralink. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

paulaceto

Posted: 2003-02-05 14:29

Here it is right from the horse's mouth (at Dolby):

18. My DVD player has two digital outputs, one optical and one coaxial, and my Dolby Digital decoder has both kinds of inputs. Which should I use?

Under most conditions, optical and coaxial digital connections work equally well. Under some rare circumstances, however, coaxial cables, particularly very long ones, can pick up radio frequency (RF) interference generated by household appliances, or nearby high-tension power lines or broadcast towers.

If cost is a consideration, start with coaxial, which is less expensive. If you then hear RF interference, you can try relocating the cables, moving your components closer together so you can use shorter cables, or, if all else fails, changing to costlier optical cable. If cost is no object, using high-quality optical cables from the outset is probably your best long-term choice.

Note: some DVD players and Dolby Digital decoders have either a coaxial or an optical connector. Be sure that the units you purchase both use the same type.

Go to http://www.dolby.com/tech/co.br.0103.DDFAQ.html#q18
    and check it out.

Freddy1

Posted: 2003-02-05 16:41

Thanks Paul, Ive been to the Dolby Digital site many times(very informative site). Im gonna try both ways. I was just curious as to the brand "bettercables" and what was your thought on them. Ive read goos reviews on them and they seem reasonably priced. My local Hi-end store carries "Transparent" but their pretty costly. Im gonna watch mostly movies and dont consider myself an audiophile. But I dont mind saving my money to spend on something if it's worth it.

kmmd

Posted: 2003-02-05 17:04

Thanks for the post Paul...very informative.

As for the Transparent cables, Freddy1, they're good, but I believe that you have to get into their Ultra line of cables and up before you get a decent sounding cable. You can definitely get much more for less. Personally, I owned 1 meter Transparent Premium Digital Link and Reference coax cables. Both were outdone by the PS Audio Digital xStream which has stayed in my system.

Since I have some free time in the next 2 days, I'll try connecting the Audioquest Optilink 4 fiber optic cable in place of the PS Audio coax from my Pioneer Elite DV-09 DVD player to B&K pre/pro. I'll also try using the Monster Cable M1000CV component cables in place of the DVI cable. I'll post my thoughts later.

paulaceto

Posted: 2003-02-05 17:19

Since you asked, I think any coax or optical cable that isn't crap will be just as good as the $200 cable. Since you are in the digital domain, if it works at all, it's as good as it will ever get. if you're interested my technical reasons, follow the thread I mentioned on the previous page. It's 9 pages long and filled with conflicting views. If you notice, I'm one of the few who backs-up his thoughts with techincal facts. For my own system, I bought the low-end Monster cables just to see what all the hype was about. I have to admit, they are sturdier than the generic stuff.

[ This message was edited by: paulaceto on 2003-02-05 17:21 ]

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.