Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:196
    Members:1
    Total of:197 users
    MemberLogged
    ag1386.9 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

question about hdtv and my 36xbr800 Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 1,833
    Last Reply: January 30, 2003, 8:00 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    aca12 | mootie | kmmd | Jazman | johnyr |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author question about hdtv and my 36xbr800
    aca12

Posted: 2003-01-20 13:54

I just got the TV last week and signed up for digital cable. I find out when I get the box that it isn't a HD box and that they need to come out and install it. So I am having them come out to hook the box up. Now my wife doesn't like watching things in a 16:9. With the HD box will everything be in 16:9? Or can the TV display it in 4:3? The box TW uses is the Scientific-Atlanta's Explorer 3100HD. Thanks.

kmmd

Posted: 2003-01-20 17:13

Hello and congrats on your new XBR aca12!

After doing some research, that SA box (3100 HD) that TW uses will be able to decode all HD signals when they are available. These signals will automatically be detected by your XBR and will be shown in the 16:9 enhanced "window." They will be either 1080 interlaced or 720 progressive. (All I can say is that your jaw will drop when you see the PQ! I recently connected my SAT-HD200 sat. receiver, and I am amazed with HD Net's 1080i picture. ) As for most other stations, they should be in 4:3 format for now. However, some local channels of NBC and CBS(among others) are presenting some shows in HD in widescreen format.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

[ This message was edited by: kmmd on 2003-01-20 17:23 ]

mootie

Posted: 2003-01-22 01:31

Here's how you fix the problem with the wife. Keep her away from the HDTV part of your system. Attach the svhs output from th back of the explorer and a separate audio feed (assuming you're going digital to a receiver for your audio, if not, just split the l,r analog outputs) to its own input on your tv. YOU can watch HDTV where you've connected the component outputs, for example output 1, and SHE can watch everything in 4:3 on Vid 2, or whatever. It works for me.

Jazman

Posted: 2003-01-23 15:35

I have the 3100HD box from TW as well. I'm not sure where your area is or if your situation is the same as mine. However, I suspect it is.

All stations coming through the component outputs will be cropped to a 16:9 format, even if the show being broadcast is 4:3. However, you can use the other outputs to improve the situation. The high definition channels will only output on the component outputs.

Here is how I hooked mine up:

I hooked the component outputs to the HD component inputs of the set and the digital audio output to my receiver which I labeled HD. I use this mode strictly for widescreen HD programming (which is amazing by the way. The playoff game on CBS yesterday was like I was sitting in a skybox in the stadium).

I hooked the SVIDEO output and the RCA audio outputs to a different channel on my receiver (as if it was a completely different device) and labeled it as TV. While this does not give me a digital picture for my locals, it does give me a full size picture.

So, this allows me HD video and digital audio when the programming benefits it.

Good luck,
    Keith

johnyr

Posted: 2003-01-24 06:27

I also have a scientic atlanta 3100HD hooked up to may 40xbr800, using a s video connection and a composite connection for HD programing. while the hd picture is very good the s video picture is worse with the 3100hd than it was with my old digital cable box, why is that and is there a fix. also someone mentioned watching football on cbs was that on CBShd or could you watch it in hd on regular cbs because they were broadcasting in hd. the reason I ask this is because I don't have cbshd in my area yet. thanx.

Jazman

Posted: 2003-01-30 20:00

Re: CBS Playoff game... that was HD.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.