Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:165
    Members:0
    Total of:165 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Auto 16:9 on KV-36HS500 Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,977
    Last Reply: February 6, 2003, 10:03 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | Jeff_Lam | Jazman | rocketcity | m5332 | SEVEK |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Auto 16:9 on KV-36HS500
    m5332

Posted: 2003-01-18 11:22

Is their any way to turn off the 16:9 enhanced mode on a 36HS500? When certain wide screen DVD's (Lord of the Rings for example) are played on my NC655P player the picture is "oversqueezed" so that the black bars are double their normal width which leaves a very small vertical viewing area. The player is connected to the TV by component connection to Video 5 on the TV. The 4:3; 4:3 PAN; and 16:9 settings from the player do nothing to change the picture area. Changing from progressive to interlaced also no effect.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Jazman

Posted: 2003-01-23 15:27

I feel your pain. While I have been posting the same question to this forum, I have been unable to get an answer. Basically, I have not found a way to turn it off (including what I can decipher from service mode).

The good news is this, a new DVD player will probably fix your problem. I am not familiar with the model of DVD player you're referring to. I have an old JVC and, no matter the DVD, it was sending the signal to the TV to go to widescreen mode. A new DVD player (I of course got a progressive scan, which I will also say made a world of difference in image quality) made the problem go away.

rocketcity

Posted: 2003-01-28 14:37

Are you sure the TV is doing this? I noticed that LOTR is presented in 2.35:1, while some widescreen formats are 1.85:1. The 2.35:1 has a thinner vertical viewing area than the latter ratio.

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-01-28 15:43

I am with rocketcity about LOTR, though you may still have a different problem.

The LOTR DVD is anamorphic, so the TV should do the anamorphic squeeze to retain the correct prespective. There's really no such thing as "over squeezed".

However, I've heard of some Sony TV's squeezing an non-anamoprhic picture. Now, that IS a real problem, but that is not the case here.

-Ray

Jazman

Posted: 2003-01-30 20:04

I believe I mis-read the original post. The widescreen version of LOTR is in 2.35:1 format. This will create wider bars on the top and bottom than usual. In fact, if you had a widescreen TV, you'd STILL have bars on the top and bottom because the screen is 16:9.

SEVEK

Posted: 2003-02-04 09:50

It helps to have a dvd player with a ZOOM.
    I minimize the oversized horizontal lines by experimenting with the zoom on the 4:3, 4:3 scan, and 16:9 modes, and pick the one that produces the least distorted picture. Also, try to buy the FULL SCREEN versions of dvds
    where available to avoid your problem. [*]null

Jeff_Lam

Posted: 2003-02-05 12:41

DO NOT BUY THE FULSCREEN VERSION!!!

Buy widescreen always! NO OAR NO SALE!!!

Unless of course you like to lose 40% of the picture and when you get a 16x9 TV which will be standard within years to come you will have 40% picture loss and black bars on the sides.

Widescreen only!!! Utilize that 16x9 enhanced mode the way it should be used. Set your DVD player to 16x9 and the 16x9 enhanced mode to auto and just enjoy.

SEVEK

Posted: 2003-02-06 22:03

Jeff Lam may be right regarding full screen dvd
    for 16:9 TVs. The question posed here is for a 4:3 TV which should accomodate full screen dvd better than a wide screen format.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.