Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:166
    Members:2
    Total of:168 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire48.8 min
    SONYESP0.2 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Ľ Ľ Television Troubleshooting

Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 Standby Led Blink 8 times Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 19,206
    Last Reply: October 18, 2013, 8:22 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | om1978 | sushkini | armendane |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 Standby Led Blink 8 times
    om1978

Posted: 2012-01-10 12:01

Hi, this

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 approximately after 6 months of use one night there was a thunderstorm and the phone line burned down the network card in my laptop and the modem and my (connected by ethernet cable to a router), the other day I turned on my TV (that night was off but connected by ethernet) and the following occurs:

Shows the Sony logo lights and sound on, then put a black screen (with backligth) and so takes 30 seconds and turns off and on again it does 4 times and then completely shut down and display the standby LED blinking 8 times.

I have searched many places the meaning of the 8 blinks in some places say it is the flyback on other sites is the sound, I guess it's the card that BATV is the one connected to the network card, even if I turn on and light of the router port connected to the TV is turned on.

I tried a power reset power button (to power on) top arrow hold click and release power button and nothing happens I also tried to enter the service menu and nothing the only text that shows the TV is the Sony logo. Try also boot with a flash drive with the firmware but I guess if I do not see the menu much less going to update the firmware. The TV before damaged automatic updates and was connected directly to a router, I had a ups so I do not think it is for the line voltage.

On Ebay I found the card very cheap BATV but not if you buy it because I'm not sure that is. I've been offline for over a month (I hurt the November 7, 2011 has been two months now) and I connected and still the same.

Of course it takes you guarantee that you buy from amazon U.S. and the warranty does not cover it in my country and the Sony service is almost as expensive as the same TV.

Here I made a video with the TV behavior

I would appreciate any information or assistance. thank you very much.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2012-01-10 14:47

For the KDL46EX720, 8 blinks, pause, 8 blinks, etc. of the red standby light means WDT (watchdog timer) as described below: 

SUBJECT: 8 Blink Error Code

SYMPTOM:

1. TV shuts down with an 8 blink error

2. 008 error code not in the service SELF CHECK list

3. 103 error code registers 8 blink error is in SELF CHECK list

CAUSE::

8 blink could be caused by one of the following issues:

1. Software Issue

2. Network Issue

3. Skype Login Issue

4. Incompatible USB Device Plugged Inserted

5. Defective Main Board

8x blink code is mainly used during TV software development. Look in TVís service SELF CHECK for error code history and notice at the bottom of the list WDT (Watch Dog Timer) error codes, in particular notice 103 HOST_WDT.

Every time 3 errors are registered in the SELF CHECK screen the TV will shut down and activate an 8x blink pattern on the Red Standby LED.

SOLUTION:

To Troubleshoot perform the following steps in the order shown:

1. Step 1

a. Disconnect All Inputs to the TV

b. Cycle AC Power (unplug the power cord)

c. 8 blink still occurs, go to Step 2

2. Step 2

a. Completely Reset TV using Remote Control

b. While Pressing and holding Arrow Up, Press and Hold TV Power Button (on side of TV) and then Release Arrow Up

c. 8 blink still occurs, go to Step 3

3. Step 3

a. Check for latest Software Version through Network Connection or Reference Library

b.
    Connect and Configure TV Network Connection

c. Using Remote Control Press HOME > Settings > Product Support > Software Update

d. If TV is not network connected go to Reference Library and Download Latest Software for the
    Specific Model and Install using a USB Thumb Drive.

e. 8 blink still occurs, go to Step 4

4. Step 4

a. Replace Main (BATV) Board

om1978

Posted: 2012-01-10 15:04

Thank you very very much for your reply. In fact I have made ​​every step minus step 4 to replace the BATV board. Step 3 I can not do the only thing that shows me is the Sony logo, I can not go to any menu.

Now a question, the BATV Board used by my tv is used by several television models. On eBay selling BATV Board models that correspond to my TV but belonged to a different model of TV, if I replace my board for one of these will work or I have to find one that have the same firmware that my tv.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2012-01-11 15:11

The Sony part number for the BATV board is A-1814-572-B.  If the boards that you are looking at have that part number, they should work.  Otherwise, no.  You may purchase the part for $169.88 at  https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/index.jsp. Use the Part Number search to locate the part. To access the Part Number search, click any accessory category and wait for the next page to appear. A new search option will appear at the top right. Click the down arrow to select the Part Number search.

However, there is no guarantee that BATV board replacement will correct the problem.  The instructions that I provided are for a qualified service technician.

om1978

Posted: 2012-01-11 15:44

Ok, thank you very much for your reply. I'll get the card and then buy it.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2012-01-12 15:39

I hope that its the problem.

sushkini

Posted: 2012-10-26 01:32

Hi
    I have a Sony Bravia 46HX820 purchased less than a year ago. It has the same problem where the TV restarts 4 times and then the red light starts blinking 8 times.

Were you able to solve the problem with your TV?

armendane

Posted: 2013-10-18 08:22

Hello Friends,

i have a sony model KDL-40EX725 and this have the same problem "8 blinks after 3 resets when ai turn on the tv", this steps can resolv this problem?

thanks for all.

Ricardo

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.