Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

    Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

  • Sponsors




    Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:259
    Members:2
    Total of:261 users
    MemberLogged
    claudio0.0 min
    jehill0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

    Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

     Inbox
    Log in to check your private message


      
    Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables
      
    STR-DA7100ES and new HDMI board Dashboard
    Replies: 18 | Views: 10,415
    Last Reply: December 27, 2011, 11:37 am

    View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | Mr_Mod | SonyCIS | SNY4ME | submariner | siebelink1 | Fluggo |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author STR-DA7100ES and new HDMI board
    Fluggo

    Rank: Sony Fan


    Joined: Sep 28, 2011
    Posts: 5
    From: Sweden

      Posted: 2011-09-28 13:54

    Hello<br />I own a STR-DA7100ES receiver and like it alot. I have read all threads I could find about the problem with XV Colour via HDMI. My amp does not support XV Colour as it is on firmware 1.11 and according to other threads this needs to be 1.12.<br /><br />Im looking for info about which amps needs the HDMI board replaced and which only needs the firmware upgrade as Sony says that they dont have the HDMI board anymore. Does anyone here know more about this?<br /><br />I found what I believe is a HDMI board here at partstore.com and have mailed them with questions about it.<br /><font size="1"><br />Mount C Board S Assembly Hdm</font><font size="1"><br /></font><font size="1">Part #: <br />A-1126-993-A</font><br /><br />Regards / Alex


       


    SonyCIS

    Rank: Sony Aficionado


    Joined: Apr 19, 2005
    Posts: 142
    From:

      Posted: 2011-09-29 11:53

    partsstore.com lists lots of things they will charge you for but not send.. some little  resistors are one thing whole boards ,i.c. 's and such ehmmmmmmmmm...better put hand on arse for a while...unless they verify part, and can double down that it is really avail..


       
    Fluggo

    Rank: Sony Fan


    Joined: Sep 28, 2011
    Posts: 5
    From: Sweden

      Posted: 2011-09-29 12:42

    Im still waiting for a response on my DA7100ES. The repaircenter said they would talk to Sony about a refund or trading the amp in for something newer like the DA6400ES.

    As I understand it the DA6400ES while having more bells and whistles than the DA7100ES is not nearly as good as an amp as the DA7100ES. I have also read all the discussions (I think) about the newer ES amps is not as Hi End as they used to be. Any idea about why they are back to analog amps ? Is it just down to saving money ?

    I would really like to know what you guys had done in my situation but I think im gonna keep the amp which I was fortunate to find new and unused just a month ago


       
    SonyCIS

    Rank: Sony Aficionado


    Joined: Apr 19, 2005
    Posts: 142
    From:

      Posted: 2011-10-11 11:59

    maybe purchase converter hdmi switcher,run all thru that  and rs-232 or ir repeat or make a custom event to trigger the switcher to sw the input for all your hdmi..


       
    submariner

    Rank: Sony Addict


    Joined: May 03, 2008
    Posts: 214
    From: UK

      Posted: 2011-12-06 05:48

    • Member Quote

    On 2011-09-29 12:42, Fluggo wrote:
    Im still waiting for a response on my DA7100ES. The repaircenter said they would talk to Sony about a refund or trading the amp in for something newer like the DA6400ES.

    As I understand it the DA6400ES while having more bells and whistles than the DA7100ES is not nearly as good as an amp as the DA7100ES. I have also read all the discussions (I think) about the newer ES amps is not as Hi End as they used to be. Any idea about why they are back to analog amps ? Is it just down to saving money ?

    I would really like to know what you guys had done in my situation but I think im gonna keep the amp which I was fortunate to find new and unused just a month ago


    I went through all this - it was a nightmare as mine would only pass 1080i - which made it useless as the main controller for my system.  Fortunately Sony UK were fantastic and tried the software upgrade, which I understand is really tricky you need a 'jig' for this. Apparently the jig is in short supply I think only 2 in Europe. I was gutted to find the software upgrade did not take with my original board.  Sony then got a new HDMI board from Japan [I think] and it worked!!!
    IMO it would be worth hunting for one of these HDMI boards because once sorted I think it is a fantastic amp for the money.  The fact it can accept 7.1 LPCM means it doesn't need all the fancy codecs to decode stuff like DTS HD MA etc. - so it's kind of future proofed.
    Sony initially offerred me one of their new range as a swap out, but agreed it was no where near the SQ or power [just pick one up and you will feel the difference].  Touch wood mine has been flawless for over a year.  They told me it was very unlikely that these fantastic digital amps would make a comeback as they were "prohibitively" expensive to make.  So I feel justified that I persevered to get it sorted.
    One caution be aware that if you are playing a bluray player with HD MA, if you stop the bluray you can get a small 'pop' noise - nothing one can do about it - so I just press the mute button at the end of the film. It doesn't happen on pause so it is workable - even the wife learnt pretty quickly.  For my ears the only like for like replacement I found was a bank of Bryston amps - 6 channels 6,000 = $9,000 and you still need a decent front end processor!
    Good luck finding the board.  I I found one of those HDMI boards and could get hold of an unused 7100ES I'd buy them just as a backup!
    I always wondered if my HDMI board blew up could it be repaired?


       
    Fluggo

    Rank: Sony Fan


    Joined: Sep 28, 2011
    Posts: 5
    From: Sweden

      Posted: 2011-12-07 13:07

    When did you get this HDMI board that was upgradeable ? I Talked to Sony here in Sweden who said in October that this HDMI board was no longer availible.

    I have the firmware update myself (the files) and the instruction on how to build the jig,so I just need the newer rev of the HDMI board.


       
    Mr_Mod
    Premium Member

    Rank: Sonyphile


    Joined: Jan 13, 2004
    Posts: 405
    From: Singapore

      Posted: 2011-12-08 02:16

    can you post instructions on how to build the jig


         
    submariner

    Rank: Sony Addict


    Joined: May 03, 2008
    Posts: 214
    From: UK

      Posted: 2011-12-09 11:26

    • Member Quote

    On 2011-12-07 13:07, Fluggo wrote:
    When did you get this HDMI board that was upgradeable ? I Talked to Sony here in Sweden who said in October that this HDMI board was no longer availible.

    I have the firmware update myself (the files) and the instruction on how to build the jig,so I just need the newer rev of the HDMI board.

    I think it was about 2009. At the time there were some supply issues, if I remember correctly, they were worried that they might not have stocks even then.


       
    SNY4ME
    Premium Member

    Rank: Sony Legend


    Joined: Nov 13, 2005
    Posts: 879
    From: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

      Posted: 2011-12-11 20:31

    I've just given up on the idea of my 7100ES ever handling all the video upgrades via HDMI.

    I will run the low quality stuff like DVD from my 9100ES and 1080i from my Cable DSTB. Otherwise I will just connect directly to my TV via HDMI and using either Toslink or 7.1 Analog for audio.

    I really can't stand all the changes they keep making to HDMI, ever since day one.

    Lyle


       
    siebelink1

    Rank: Sony Buff


    Joined: May 07, 2009
    Posts: 20
    From: holland

      Posted: 2011-12-21 11:35

    <DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">can you post instructions on how to build the jig also for me ?

    I want to update it by my own.
    I've  looked for the jig and it will cost 120,- incl. shipping to the netherlands .
    A little bit expensive if you ask me

    </DIV>

    [ This message was edited by: siebelink1 on 2011-12-21 11:37 ]


       
    siebelink1

    Rank: Sony Buff


    Joined: May 07, 2009
    Posts: 20
    From: holland

      Posted: 2011-12-21 11:39



    Can you also do the update throu the RS232 port ?


       
    jehill
    Premium Member

    Rank: Sony Senior Advisor


    Joined: Mar 13, 2003
    Posts: 14283
    From: Sewell, NJ

      Posted: 2011-12-22 13:13

    I just discovered something very interesting in reviewing the STR-DA7100ES service manual.  There is an  HDMI POWER board, but no HDMI board!  The HDMI circuitry is on the ILINK board, part number A-1126-993-A.  The part may be purchased for $391.31 at www.andrewselectronics.com and $430.44 at www.hermanelectronics.com.  These are the sources listed at https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/index.jsp.  Unsure if they ship outside the USA.  The following notes apply:

    NOTES ON REPLACEMENT OF ILINK BOARD
    New part of flash memory (IC3001) on the ILINK board cannot be used.  Therefore, if the mounted ILINK board is replaced, exchange new flash memory (IC3001) with that used before the replacement.

    NOTE OF HANDLING THE ILINK BOARD (Part No. A-1126-993-A)
    When the ILINK board is replaced by a repair for a fee, throw away the ILINK board after obtaining consent of not returning of the ILINK board to the customer. When throwing away the ILINK board, be sure to throw away after destroying IC3205 and IC3208 physically with the hammer etc.

    [ This message was edited by: jehill on 2011-12-22 13:20 ]


       
    submariner

    Rank: Sony Addict


    Joined: May 03, 2008
    Posts: 214
    From: UK

      Posted: 2011-12-25 22:25

    • Member Quote

    On 2011-12-22 13:13, jehill wrote:
    I just discovered something very interesting in reviewing the STR-DA7100ES service manual.  There is an  HDMI POWER board, but no HDMI board!  The HDMI circuitry is on the ILINK board, part number A-1126-993-A.  The part may be purchased for $391.31 at www.andrewselectronics.com and $430.44 at www.hermanelectronics.com.  These are the sources listed at https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/index.jsp.  Unsure if they ship outside the USA.  The following notes apply:

    NOTES ON REPLACEMENT OF ILINK BOARD
    New part of flash memory (IC3001) on the ILINK board cannot be used.  Therefore, if the mounted ILINK board is replaced, exchange new flash memory (IC3001) with that used before the replacement.

    NOTE OF HANDLING THE ILINK BOARD (Part No. A-1126-993-A)
    When the ILINK board is replaced by a repair for a fee, throw away the ILINK board after obtaining consent of not returning of the ILINK board to the customer. When throwing away the ILINK board, be sure to throw away after destroying IC3205 and IC3208 physically with the hammer etc.

    [ This message was edited by: jehill on 2011-12-22 13:20 ]

    Hi Jehill
    Very interesting, does it say anything about different rev levels of that ilink board as I understood the early 7100ES's could not pass 1080p but the later ones could. I was definitely told they had to change my board even explained it was a push in job not soldered.
    I'm interested in buying a back up 7100Es if I  know I can get the board to pass 1080p, but I'd hate to buy another unit and an ilink boead only to find it would n't take the latest firmware update.

    Also interested what is this 'jig' - is it some software code or a physical piece of hardware?
    Regards Peter


       
    jehill
    Premium Member

    Rank: Sony Senior Advisor


    Joined: Mar 13, 2003
    Posts: 14283
    From: Sewell, NJ

      Posted: 2011-12-26 11:25

    I am pretty sure that I have the last revision of the STR-DA7100ES service manual, Ver. 1.3 2005.12.  The only thing that the last reversion did was add the part number for the ILINK board, so, I believe that it is safe to assume that the part number that I provided is the latest.  A "jig" is a hardware device.  I suspect that the one required is nothing more than a special RS-232 cable with a couple of leads reversed.


       
    jehill
    Premium Member

    Rank: Sony Senior Advisor


    Joined: Mar 13, 2003
    Posts: 14283
    From: Sewell, NJ

      Posted: 2011-12-26 12:03

    I just found other information from Sony referring to both a RS-232 cross-cable (what I was thinking of) and a test jig.  I am unsure of exactly what the test jig is, but I am sure that it is a piece of hardware.  Also, if the HDMI controller version (firmware) is 1.2 or greater, no update is required.  I would be willing to bet the the ILINK BOARD part number that I provided includes the latest firmware, but I can't I can't guarantee it.



       
    This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )


    Advance Features
      
    Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page


    All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.