Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:236
    Members:0
    Total of:236 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KV-34XBR910 Power Problem Repair Guidance Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 1,984
    Last Reply: July 8, 2011, 3:44 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | BobF | mbt_junkyard | PSMatt |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-34XBR910 Power Problem Repair Guidance
    PSMatt
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-06-29 22:26

Hey all!! First time posting here and first off, THANK YOU so much for all your postings regarding power problems on various models.

I have a KV-34XBR910 that started having this problem about 6 weeks ago. When I go to turn on the set, I get the degauss noise, but the TV doesn't kick in. At first I only had to hit the power button on the remote a couple of times and the TV would come on. Now I'm up to about 20 to 30 times for the TV to come on. I'm afraid to turn it off after reading a few posts where members weren't able to get their sets back on.

Also, the last time this happened after pressing the power button on the remote, the TV did blink three times before not staring, not sure if that helps.

Thanks to so many folks here I think I've discovered a possible solution which is to replace the MCZ3001D ICs off the D Board.

>>I have a couple of quick questions before I get started.<<

1. This is my first time soldering an IC. I have a motherboard from a dead PC that I can practice on. My question is can you use any soldering iron? I really don't want to spend a bundle just in case this doesn't solve the problem. I've seen soldering kits for around $15.00.

2. Is the MCZ3001DB a suitable replacement for the MCZ3001D? When I check the schematics of the D board the part is listed as MCZ3001D.

Thanks for your help!

[ This message was edited by: PSMatt on 2011-06-30 12:28 ]

BobF

Posted: 2011-07-03 11:13

1)  Many people have replaced these ICs with inexpensive soldering irons.  You will want one with a fine tip.  I used a temperature controlled soldering station but those cost $50 and up.

2) Yes, the MCZ3001DB is a suitable replacement.  There has been speculation that the "DB" variant is an improved version of the "D" model.  But I haven't seen confirmation of that.

mbt_junkyard

Posted: 2011-07-03 11:26

@BobF One of the PSU designers from Sony BCN-TEC (Barcelona, Spain) did confirm to me that the MCZ3001DB is an improved version of the original one.

That was in the time I was involved in solving problems in KV-xxFQ86x TV's, which use the same IC.

I've also tried to ask Shindengen for datasheets of both components, but to me they never answered any email message, even when sent from a Sony corporate email address.

BobF

Posted: 2011-07-03 11:33

• Member Quote

On 2011-07-03 11:26, mbt_junkyard wrote:

@BobF One of the PSU designers from Sony BCN-TEC (Barcelona, Spain) did confirm to me that the MCZ3001DB is an improved version of the original one.

That was in the time I was involved in solving problems in KV-xxFQ86x TV's, which use the same IC.

I've also tried to ask Shindengen for datasheets of both components, but to me they never answered any email message, even when sent from a Sony corporate email address.

Thanks for the update.  (I think you might have mentioned that previously but I had forgotten that!)

PSMatt
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-07-03 11:46

Awesome! Thanks for the response. The chips should arrive in the mail Tuesday or Wednesday. I was feeling a little trepidation about doing the repair myself until I called a local "Sony Platinum" repair facility. They wanted $300.00. The upside was that this was a flat rate which included a technician coming to my place to do the repair. Still, I'm confident that I can tackle this myself, in great measure thanks to your detailed overview of your own experience.

PSMatt
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-07-08 14:11

Ugh! Installed both MCZ3001DB and still the same problem. Power on, I hear the degauss then nothing. Try it again, and just a little click. Any suggestions?

[ This message was edited by: PSMatt on 2011-07-08 14:32 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-07-08 15:44

Make sure that everything has been reconnected to the board and visually inspect your work for solder bridges or other possible errors.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.