Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:255
    Members:0
    Total of:255 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

TA-N9000ES In Protect Mode Dashboard
    Replies: 19 | Views: 10,424
    Last Reply: September 3, 2011, 9:27 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | jttar | parney | Mr_Mod | mykyll2727 | David_S | gwbishop | AndyGo |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author TA-N9000ES In Protect Mode
    jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-09 21:35

Hello gentlemen,

Sorry to report that my minty TA-N9000ES amp has decided to take a vacation. It worked just fine Saturday night but Sunday the stand by light was flashing and the amp is in protect mode.

I tried removing the speaker wire and low level input cables one at a time in hopes I would find a problem with wiring but even after everything was unplugged and disconnected the stand by light just blinks when the amp is powered up.
    Naturally, I opened up "the hood" and took a look inside but didn't see anything obvious. I know that often this is caused by blown output transistors.

I lugged it to a local electronic repair shop, a mom/pop shop that has been in the same location for 50 years.  It will cost me $60 US to get it diagnosed (felt it a fair price) and I await to hear what has gone bad. I will post back when I find somethig out in hopes that it may help other owners of this wonderful  5 channel amp.

Joe

parney

Posted: 2011-05-09 22:02

Sorry to hear that hope it is something minor.My SAE 2100 preamp died on me last week so I know how you feel even though its just in my garage system it still sucks.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-09 23:55

Joe- Sorry to hear about your TAN9000ES Power Amp. I hope that it will be up and running again soon!

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-10 20:56

Thank you parney and Maxx. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

Got a call from the electronics shop this afternoon and the tech said that one or more transistors for one of the channel's output were bad. He is going to test them all and replace all that are needed. Estimated cost is $225 USD and he said it will be a week or more for his to order in the parts and install them. I gave him the go ahead right away. 

I will post back to this thread after the repairs are complete with the details.

Joe 

David_S

Posted: 2011-05-10 23:49

It is good to hear that you can get your N9000ES amp repaired without much difficulty.

You are also fortunate to have a local repair shop that can handle the repair.  This avoids the risk of shipping damage.

-----------------
    TA- E77ES E80ES E1000ESD E9000ES
    TA- N77ES F555ES, ST-S730ES
    RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
    STR- DA4ES DA3100ES (2)DA5700ES (2)GX10ES
    DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
    CDP-X303ES, CDP-M555ES
    MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-11 00:53

Joe- Averaged over the lifespan of your TA N900ES this repair bill represents less than $25/year for upkeep which is quite a bargain indeed!

~Maxx~

-----------------

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-11 21:10

• Member Quote

On 2011-05-10 23:49, David_S wrote:
    It is good to hear that you can get your N9000ES amp repaired without much difficulty.

You are also fortunate to have a local repair shop that can handle the repair.  This avoids the risk of shipping damage.

Hello David_S,

Your not kidding. I am fortunate to have a local repair shop less than a couple of miles from my home. Especially because the amp weighs 50 plus pounds and of the horror stories we have heard with shipping disasters. Less chance of any damage with me carrying it to and from the shop.

Joe

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-11 21:34

• Member Quote

On 2011-05-11 00:53, Maxxwire wrote:
    Joe- Averaged over the lifespan of your TA N900ES this repair bill represents less than $25/year for upkeep which is quite a bargain indeed!

~Maxx~

Nice way of looking at it Maxx. I agree with your logic. It cost me $60 for the diagnosis which I felt was a real fair price and when the tech called and estimated around $225 I didn't hesitate to tell him to go ahead with the repairs. Having to invest $300 into this 11 year old 5 channel amp was a no brainer for me. I was happy not to be in the position of having to decide if I should put the money into this amp or invest in another one.

On a side note, the tech remarked how clean the amp was inside and out. I told him that is how much I value my components. Twice a year each piece gets taken from the rack, the lid removed and cleaned inside and out. That is the same time that I use those wonderful cotton swabs you gave me with Caig's Pro Gold on all the contacts.

Joe

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-13 03:00

• Member Quote

On 2011-05-11 21:34, jttar wrote:
    • Member Quote

Twice a year each piece gets taken from the rack, the lid removed and cleaned inside and out. That is the same time that I use those wonderful cotton swabs you gave me with Caig's Pro Gold on all the contacts.

Joe

Joe it was while using those cotton mini-swabs that I got at the recording studio to apply Pro Gold (now known as Deoxit Gold) that I learned a very important lesson in that not only did the swabs get the dirtiest when cleaning the AC Plugs and Outlets, but I learned through experimentation that  most of the sonic improvements I was getting from using Pro Gold were derived from cleaning the AC Plugs and Outlets and cleaning the other low level signal contacts made much less of an impact.

~Maxx~

-----------------

gwbishop

Posted: 2011-05-17 22:20

jttr
    That's a normal problem that happens to the TAN. There are 2 strange 1 ohm resistor/ fuse that will blow after a while on the TAN. I fixed both of my TANS about 5 years back - problem happened to the second one within a month of the 1st one. I have the service manual and found the repair procedure on the web and did it myself and both worked afterward(WWOOOOHOOO!)
    Getting to them is a pain but the actual repair is fairly easy. Hopefully your repair shop replaced both of them not with the same part but a 1 ohm resistor. If the problem happens again you know they did not.
    Best of Luck
    Sincerely
    Grant

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-05-18 20:22

Hello Grant,

Thanks for the input. That would explain why the amp worked fine when I shut it down one day and the next day was in protect mode. The repair shop did say that they would test all the resistors and replace as needed.
    It has been around ten days since I heard from the repair shop so I am going to give them a call tomorrow to ask how it is going.

Thanks for the wishes,
    Joe

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-06-21 20:55

Finally! After almost 6 weeks my 5 channel amp is back into my system and sounding great.  
    The tech replaced 4 transistors in the center channel output. Actually, they look more like gnats then an electronic component. Really tiny  as you can see in the poor quality cell phone picture. The delay was that the tech I brought it to would use only genuine Sony parts and the transistors were on back order from Sony so we had to play the waiting game.

The tech also said that the amp was running on the warm side so he calibrated the bias on each channel. To be perfectly honest I cannot tell any difference in sound and I don't know if it feels cooler then before but it is definitley running cooler than the TA-N90ES.

Joe

[ This message was edited by: jttar on 2011-06-21 22:28 ]

David_S

Posted: 2011-06-22 01:22

Good to hear that your N9000ES is up and running.

That looks like a surface mount transistor.

IMO the delay is worth it, knowing the tech used original parts.  At least the N9000ES should perform to specs when original parts are used.

-----------------
    TA- E77ES E80ES E1000ESD E9000ES
    TA- N77ES F555ES, ST-S730ES
    RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
    STR- DA4ES DA3100ES (2)DA5700ES (2)GX10ES
    DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
    CDP-X303ES, CDP-M555ES
    MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690

mykyll2727

Posted: 2011-06-22 02:32

Joe_I'm glad to hear your N9kES is back and working properly. May it continue to do so for a very long time!!!_mykl

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-06-22 06:05

• Member Quote

On 2011-06-21 20:55, jttar wrote:

The tech also said that the amp was running on the warm side so he calibrated the bias on each channel. To be perfectly honest I cannot tell any difference in sound and I don't know if it feels cooler then before but it is definitely running cooler than the TA-N90ES.

Joe

Joe- Your transistors should also last longer with the bias adjusted correctly.

~Maxx~

-----------------

... The Sony DB 930 Legend Continues

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.