Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:180
    Members:0
    Total of:180 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

Bass and Treble KHZ settings Dashboard
    Replies: 13 | Views: 8,473
    Last Reply: February 24, 2003, 2:05 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    paulaceto | rkkwan | Maxxwire | hodge | godrob | Farre |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Bass and Treble KHZ settings
    godrob

Posted: 2002-12-17 06:10

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me what settings I should use for the Bass and Treble KHZ options on my Sony STR-DB780 ?

Any help would be appreciated.....

paulaceto

Posted: 2002-12-17 06:55

The bass and treble settings are the frequency breakpoints of the low and high pass filters, respectively. There are no "correct" settings. Start with the settings at the middle of the adjustment range and set them according to your taste. The results will depend on the room you are in. For example, a room with lots of hard surfaces will sound bright (enhanced highs) so you would lower the treble setting.

godrob

Posted: 2002-12-17 07:13

Great. Thanks for your reply.

In your opion, would you consider it worth while playing with these settings or is it best to leave well alone. I suppose what I'm really asking is will I notice any improvement.

[ This message was edited by: godrob on 2002-12-17 07:16 ]

paulaceto

Posted: 2002-12-17 07:56

By all means, set them for your enjoyment. However, a fanatic would play a frequency sweep and measure the sound level with a meter to adjust for a flat response (all frequencies at the same sound level).

rkkwan

Posted: 2002-12-17 11:47

My suggestion is "Don't mess with it". Unless you have a clear and significant in the way your system sounds, what you're doing is more likely to distort the sound. [Well, or unless you do what Paul says, i.e. measure sound level at various frequency with test tones, and carefully adjust each band.]

-Ray

godrob

Posted: 2002-12-17 11:52

Ok.

Any idea what the defaults are ? I don't really wan't to reset all my settings back to the factory defaults unless I have to.

rkkwan

Posted: 2002-12-17 12:00

As long as the levels are at 0 dB (i.e. no increase and decrease), it doesn't matter what the frequencies are left at.

-Ray

paulaceto

Posted: 2002-12-17 12:01

There aren't really any defaults. The closest thing to a default is the middle of the adjustment range.

godrob

Posted: 2002-12-17 12:10

Thanks Guys.

I wanted to increase the Bass (DB) a fraction, just for a bit more depth. From memory as I'm not at home at the moment. My setup is as follows:

Bass (DB) +2
    Bass (KHZ) 250

Treble is at zero I think anyway.

Any thoughts ?

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2002-12-17 16:34

Remember the good old days when Sony equalizers were frequency adjustable down to 18 hz.? The Sony TA-E1000 ESD had this capability along with variable Q settings. Ah! 1990- those were the good old days!

If we could agree on a basic starting point of 20 hz. for the low end, bass frequencies cover three octaves:

20-40 hz. low bass
    40-80 hz. mid bass
    80-160 hz. high bass

The next octave 160-320 hz. would be considered low midrange and not bass.

I realize that there are bass settings in your equalizer from 100-1000 hz.. I agree with Paulaceto that you should use the setting that sounds best or measures best for you. All I am trying to point out is what the parameters for bass frequencies are.

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

hodge

Posted: 2002-12-20 19:34

My advise is put it on 2 channel stereo and put in one of your favourite audio cd`s and have a play with the bass mid and treble. Also have a play with the frequncy responces and then you can actually start to here what they do, but personally after half an hour of testing i found the frequency range best on the default settings. But i tend to have my bass on +8 as i like lots of punch to the soundtrack with mid on around +5 which stops the mid from getting drowned out without sounding to harsh and treble on around +8 which again brings out far more detail than if you have it left on 0. Try and see for yourself, also try using the on screen display as it shows you an equaliser bar as well.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2002-12-21 04:48

Do you know where the equalizer got its name? It was designed to "equalize" the acoustics of your listening room to obtain a flat frequency response.

I bought my first 24 band 72 frequency paragraphic equalizer and real time frequecy spectrum analyzer 22 years ago. After 20 years of trying to use this rather expensive equipment to make my Audio System sound right I still wasn't totally happy with it.

I finally decided to fix the acoustics of my listening room instead of altering my Music and Movies to suit the room.

I bought 96 sq. ft. of Auralex 2" pyramid Studio Foam from a local Pro Audio shop. I put it up on the wall behind the speakers and at the first reflection points on the wall beside each main speaker.

The results were fantastic! The sound no longer bounces around the room time smearing itself, but rather is diffused into the surface of the 3,456 foam pyramids allowing me to hear the sounds comming directly from my speakers without interference from reflected sound comming from what used to be the bare walls of my listening room. It took me a while to adjust the foam pannels just right, but now when I play a well recorded CD its like being in the room with the musicians!

I tried for years to alter the Music to suit the room's acoustic inadequacies and I spent thousands of dollars on equipment hoping to achieve this goal without success. I've had this Auralex Studio Foam up for about two years now and the $200 I spent on it has turned out to be an excellent investment and the gateway to Musical enjoyment without equalizers or tone controlls getting in the way.

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

godrob

Posted: 2002-12-23 04:03

Thanks for your advise guys.

Farre

Posted: 2003-02-24 14:05

I have possesed the DB780 for two days. I have been considering myself a SONY fan, but I am not sure after this. The sound is questionable. Too flat.
    Regarding Bass and Treble kH options, the only explanation that makes sense is that you boost sounds/frequences below specified bass or above specified treble figures, with bass and treble knobs.
    It is at least interesting to hear what low and high frequences are imortant in the sound with this feature.
    I appeciate Maxxwire’s appreciation of the sound.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.