Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:228
    Members:0
    Total of:228 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KV-32HS500 6 or 7 blink Dashboard
    Replies: 3 | Views: 2,358
    Last Reply: February 5, 2011, 9:36 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    BobF | buckeyeodes |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-32HS500 6 or 7 blink
    buckeyeodes

Posted: 2011-01-05 16:20

First I want to thank everyone who has provided insight into how to repair this issue.

About a month ago, our 7 year old KV-32HS500 which was purchased new, would not always come on.  When it would not power up, the standby light would blink either 6 or 7 times.  I went to Sony's website and on-line chatted with a support person who had me try the same routines in the operating manual to try to get it running that I had previously tried.  The last of these options was to unplug the set for a minute and then try.  When plugging it in, it popped like it was starting but again failed to power up.  She then said I needed a repair and recommended and provided contact info for a local repair shop.

Over the next week, the TV would start every other day or so.  On one of these occasions, I left it powered on all the time and turned off the cable box to stop the video feed.  That worked for a few days until a power blip shut the TV off and I couldn't restart it.

During this time period, I contacted the repair shop and others and they wanted $50 to $75 just to haul it away to diagnose.  They offerred to apply this charge to the repair, but gave me no idea what that total cost would be but most likely over $200.  I decided to order a new TV.

I discovered this website and found reference to BobF's many links to replacing the two IC MCZ3001DB to fix this issue. I also found a note to use a hair dryer for 2 minutes into the lower right side of the set (facing the tube) to get it restarted.  The hair dryer worked and I kept the TV powered on until the new TV arrived.

Now, instead of throwing the KV-32HS500 away, I'm ready to try to fix and keep it because the picture is outstanding.  I continue to explore this site for info on this issue.  I am a retired engineer and have never done any soldering work before but am willing to give it a shot to salvage the TV.

BobF's post, http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1121&forum=34&start=80&select_page_number=9, provides a great overview.  Is there any more recent info available?  Any help or suggestions for someone like me who is new to soldering?

[ This message was edited by: buckeyeodes on 2011-01-06 10:53 ]

buckeyeodes

Posted: 2011-01-06 13:01

I continue to explore this site and I've also been exploring youtube for videos on soldering/desoldering to eductate myself on how to do this.  Does anyone have a link to a youtube video or a good set of photos showing someone replacing the MCZ3001DBs?  I've also been searching and unable to find a link to a service manual for this set.  Does anyone know where that might be available?

buckeyeodes

Posted: 2011-02-05 16:08

Success!  I found another forum that discusses this issue in depth.  I strongly recommend it.  At the moment, there are 48 pages there and I read them all.  Take good notes, look at the pictures posted there and good luck!  I replaced the two ICs that are common to this issue this afternoon and the TV fired up first time!  Here is a link to that site:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=928945&page=48  

BobF

Posted: 2011-02-05 21:36

• Member Quote

On 2011-02-05 16:08, buckeyeodes wrote:
    Success!  I found another forum that discusses this issue in depth.  I strongly recommend it.  At the moment, there are 48 pages there and I read them all.  Take good notes, look at the pictures posted there and good luck!  I replaced the two ICs that are common to this issue this afternoon and the TV fired up first time!  Here is a link to that site:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=928945&page=48  

Congratulations on your successful repair!  Isn't that a great feeling?

And yes, that thread on AVS is an excellent "one-stop" source for repair information.  I've posted links to it on this forum.  I've also posted in that AVS thread as "RobertF".

Bob

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.