Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:202
    Members:0
    Total of:202 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Double Image, Horizontal stripes, SONY Bravia KDL-46V4100 Dashboard
    Replies: 24 | Views: 51,528
    Last Reply: August 1, 2013, 11:44 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Skytrooper | jehill | massari | kmackddd | tyfghter | budm | gregm227 | gb3 | Wooward | Alfonse | Floofey | KCliff999 | TVBroke | dhoshi | GForce |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Double Image, Horizontal stripes, SONY Bravia KDL-46V4100
    massari

Posted: 2010-12-19 00:36

Hey there everyone, how you doing?

I have a problem with my SONY Bravia KDL-46V4100 TV,
    the screen has double images and Horizontal lines,
    this happens everytime i turn it on, it goes away after 15 minutes.

I was curious if anybody knows how to fix it without me having to spend to much money??

Oh and by the way, i don't have any warranty on it  

Here are the pictures,

PLEASEEEEE  HELP  MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kmackddd

Posted: 2011-01-04 08:46

i have a similar issue:
    Sony Bravia LCD KDL 46V4100 has distortion with flickering and double images also occasional ghosting on startup that automagically disappears after 5-10 minutes or thru manual manipulation of the tv (bending and lifting the edges of the frame). its only 2 years old. youtube video of issue is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJq6jqP8bYY . i believe this is either a tcon issue or the panel. i'm hoping tcon so i can replace it, can anyone confirm? thanks...

seems like many people with this model have a similar issue. curious as to what causes this to go away after 'warm up' period.

tyfghter

Posted: 2011-02-09 15:36

I was given this TV from someone who was getting rid of it because it was broke. It had the same problem that they could not get to go away. I followed what kmackddd did and got it to work. Turned it on for 10 or so minutes and then did the screen manipulation. One hand on bottom right corner and other on top right, kind of tilting it forward and it went away. Now I just leave the TV on and let it go to the Directv screen saver. I have only had it a few days but the info here helped me get it working. For me it's good because it was free, not for my friend though. Also I am curious if someone has found a permanent fix, this doesn't seem need replaced but that there is some seal on the screen or something that could be fixed. I previously had a old 19in TV so to me this is awesome. When I leave for multiple days I will turn it off and then go through the workaround when I get back. kmackddd, thank you for posting your info on here. Seems you were the only one I found that had the screen manipulation down. People were calling me a genius for fixing it but I told them it was someone online, so thank you.

Now had I bought this TV, I would be pretty ticked off.

David

budm

Posted: 2011-04-26 13:06

T-CON board problem.
    Learn more here:

SONY T-CON: E40951307-TCON Troubleshooting 10-22-09_OPTfficeffice" />>>

>>

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25276757/E40951307-TCON-Troubleshooting-10-22-09-OPT>>

>>

PDF download: http://www.mediafire.com/?zzjygannjty>>

Failed TV and Monitors pictures: http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/budm>>

gregm227

Posted: 2011-06-11 18:48

did anyone correct this problem,other than letting it warm up and manhandling the thing ?? is it the t-con or i was told it was the backlight inverter. the t-con replacement seems fairly straightforward. has anyone done this? please give me some advise before my wife tosses me and the tv out....thanks

budm

Posted: 2011-06-24 12:10

T-CON board. Backlights inverter board is for generating the lights only.

gregm227

Posted: 2011-07-06 10:23

thanks...i'm gonna try to replace it myself.

gregm227

Posted: 2011-07-13 16:00

thanks... the new t-con stopped the double image problem and wasn't too hard to do thanks to your web sites. problem now is the right side of the screen is kinda haywire. color won't match up. the good news is sony will replace the lcd panel on kdl 46xbr4 made in 2007, till oct 2011,even if it's out of warranty . I found the info on this site.

gb3

Posted: 2011-10-30 20:04

I've got a Sony Bravia LCD KDL 46S4100 - and just started with the same type problems (banding, ghosting, then everything OK after 10 mins or so).
    From what I gather, some corner stress technique works (I couldn't find kmackddd's original solution that tyfghter referred to, but I'll try tilting it.

Curious about the T-CON fix that budm provided. The document refers to a 46W4100 and not a 46S4100. Anyone know whether that means I have a model for which there is no T-CON solution?
    Thanks.

Alfonse

Posted: 2011-11-09 23:46

I fixed this problem with a pencil(!), believe it or not.  My son's KDL-32L4000, about a year old,  developed similar vertical lines after it warmed-up.  It also exhibited the double-image problem... 2 pictures offset by a half-inch vertically.

I developed the habit of troubleshooting low voltage circuitry by pressing a moistened finger on chips and components for particularly difficult problems.  It identifies overheated components, finds floating inputs to chips, and 'nudges' things that are operating on the edge.

Poking around the TCON board this way identified a floating voltage problem in the lower-left corner of the board.  The moistened finger trick corrected the picture immediately, so I knew what the problem was, and roughly where.  These surface mount components are verrry small, it's very hard to isolate a single component.  In this case it was not necessary.

The components that responded were RF-1 through RF-6 outlined in the photo below.   I believe these are inline RF chokes that feed the nearby IC. There are accompanying resistors and capacitors nearby, but it was clearly the chokes that responded.  The moistened finger test indicated that at least one in the group was open, AND that whatever they were feeding was a high impedance input.  My finger provided the missing connection.

I considered soldering jumpers across each choke, but I've done more damage than good soldering surface mount boards.
      But I could duplicate the moist-finger with ordinary pencil lead, which is the same stuff resistors are made of, by simply making a heavy pencil mark across the top of each of the chokes.  Although it made a high resistance connection (~70Kohms), it was more than enough to pass the required voltage along to the IC.  That's the beauty of CMOS circuitry, input resistances are incredibly high.

Problem solved.

Given the number of problems these sets exhibit, my guess is that Sony got a bad batch of surface mount components that had internal bonding problems.  Whether it was limited to chokes or included resistors and capacitors I don't know.  This set did not exhibit any failed or cold solder joints, another common problem indicated by flexing or pressing on a circuit board.

In any case, I highly recommend the moist finger approach for any of the 'wifty' problems, those that drift over time, or after warm-up.  Of course it's not to be applied to areas where high voltage is present for obvious reasons.  But on things like tuners and CMOS digital circuits it works wonders.  Worked for me.
    Good luck!

Alfonse

Posted: 2011-11-10 10:02

BTW- After browsing the layout of the board further I see the nomenclature for resistors and caps includes a secondary character. This means that RF1 thru RF6 are more likely resistors than chokes (RF is old nomenclature for chokes). In any case the fix worked, the diagnosis stands, and the pencil remains mightier than the soldering iron!

Skytrooper

Posted: 2011-11-10 14:36

Alfonse, I admire your trouble shooting techniges. Intermittent failures are the worse thing to diagnose. Looking at the components that you "leaded", I think that I would re-solder them. I repaired a lot of 2 way radios output stages by re-soldering.

Also, my KDL-52XBR4 has a vertical line a few inches in from the left & right sides. They go away after the TV is on for a while. I will live with this til things get worse.

Alfonse

Posted: 2011-11-12 01:39

Skytrooper- I was scared to death to get an iron anywhere near it.  The only iron I trust for that small work died last year and a replacement is $400!

I have a good heatgun, it's big, but I have a nozzle that would probably work.  You use air for the small SM parts?

I was damned lucky on this one, a little graphite did the trick.  If I had soldered I'd have really screwed it up.

Skytrooper

Posted: 2011-11-12 09:50

I have a Weller iron, which is temperature controlled by which size tip you put in it. I use a very small tip at 700 Deg.

Also the solder I have is very small in diameter.

My eye sight is excellent at close ranges with my glasses off. I was the envy of the other techs. in our radio shop because of this. They would have to use magnifacation and special lighting and I still could out see them !

Wooward

Posted: 2011-11-15 14:04

There's a lot of good info here. I'll try the wet finger trick to see if I can isolate failures in my TCON board.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.