Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:172
    Members:0
    Total of:172 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Sony KDS-R60XBR2 Optical Block self install Dashboard
    Replies: 42 | Views: 23,516
    Last Reply: July 15, 2013, 3:35 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | jehill | ArmyGuy | SonyListens | tnrmblr | knil | Archathema | massari | lmiles | chino210 | kdonaghy42 | beezman | mkojak | willy41 | moegillknee | DSeely | scottw | sbyrd | PHILosipher83 | 57vetguy | ageng939 | vereman | GoldenEarsEyes |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony KDS-R60XBR2 Optical Block self install
    knil

Posted: 2010-11-15 12:57

I have been looking around and have not found any information on the optical block install for an XBR2.  Is it similar to the XBR1 model.  I notice a little differnce in the configuration (UHF and cable coax input locations)  Any information will be helpfull.  I have the bad OB on the above model and I am going to attempt the self install since I am out of the warrenty period.  

knil

Posted: 2010-11-23 15:10

Well I decided to go ahead and tackle the TV and see if I could get the Optical Block out and sent off to Tri State Module since my replacement offer from Sony came in (KDL-55HX800).  The XBR2 model is slightly differnt from the XBR1 model in that it seems like more of the electronics are integrated into the main electronics block (which makes it easier).  The XBR2 seems to have an upgraded fan cooling loop that involved  intake and return plumbing around the lamp.  I had trouble getting the OB and lamp houseing out since there was an addition screw holding the lamp hosing to the TV that is only accessible by using a stubby phillips screwdriver to access it in the main lamp housing.  Overall the XBR2 seemed a little easier to disassmble than the XBR1.  With my replacement TV set up I had nothing to loose by putting my 5 years of electrical engineering degree to use by seeing if I could get the OB out of this TV.  If I broke it, it was going to be put out on the curb, if I fix it, then it was destin to the bedroom where it will not incure the extended hours of use that it did in the living room (hopefully this will help get me more than 4 years of use out of the refurbed unit).  I will update this after I get the refurbed OB back in the TV.  I took alot of pictures alone the way to help give me some guidance as I tackle the reinstall.  Hopefully this may help some of thoses that are trying to do the self install on this model.

knil

Posted: 2010-12-06 18:33

Feeling lonely in this thread, kind of talking to myself I guess.  Either I have this in the wrong spot of the forum, or you need the premium memebership to draw attention.  Either way, I just wanted to update the thread with my final resolution.  I got the refurbed optical block back from Tri State Module and just finished putting it back in the TV.  My hat goes off to Tri State Module, the TV is running like new again with no green Tint.  I almost want to put it back in the living room entertainment center since I had that unit custom built for the XBR2 and the 55KDLHX800 that Sony sent me to replace the defective XBR2 does not fill the gap.  I am in love with the picture on the HX800 and the 3D is awsome, so I think I will do some black skirting and maybe put a pedastal to prop the HX800 up a bit to compensate for the gap.  If anyone else is trying the self install on the XBR2 and run into any problems, hit me up on this thread and I would be glad to share any lessons learned that I had with my experience.  Overall I am very satisfied.  I did this myself and practically ended up with 2 new TV's after taking Sony's replacement offer and having my optical block refurbished.

KNIL

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-12-07 10:36

Hi,

You have the the post in the right spot. The rebrub from Tri State Module is a good idea. I was going to write that there is great instructions in the Frequently Asked Questions in the forum. Great job on replacing the optical block.

The refurb from Tri state is the best way to go. I think the refurb optical block is about $300 compared to getting an repair place where they charge about $900.

knil

Posted: 2010-12-07 21:19

Thanks claudio, I got alot of great info from this blog and probably would not have been able to attempt the self install without the wealth of info on this blog.  The TV has been back in action for about a day but my wife started noticing blue patches in the right corner of the TV when it would transition to commercials (i.e. on black backgrounds).  I started looking closer and sure enough there are 2 blue blobs in the right corner of the TV.  The thing is that they are not at all obvious when regular color type shows are on, but if you watch close enough you will notice them in any dark scenes. From what I have read, the best I can tell is that I have gone from the green tint issue to what appears to be the blue blob onset.  I take it that it is not typical to have faint blue spots appear when dark blacks are on the TV.  I took a pic with my camera and I have email them to tri state to see if this will be covered under the 6 month warrenty.  I assumed when they refurbed the OB that they replaced all the color filters (I believe the green tint is from a bad blue filter, I guess blue blobs are probably a result of a bad green or red filter).  It seems odd that I would have the blue blob issue so quickly after having the unit refurbed.  I will keep this thread updated with what I hear back from Tri State.  I can see why sony is working to put the defective OB issue behind them since there seems to be a real issue with the rear projections models manufactured with the LCOS tech.  With that being said, I have not seen a TV come close to looking better than the 55 inch HX800 model that they offered me as a compesation to the defective XBR2 TV.  I am still a huge sony fan even through this rough patch, I only hope tri state will fix this issue under the current warranty. Thanks again for letting me use this forum to tell my adventure, :-)  

Knil

[ This message was edited by: knil on 2010-12-07 21:37 ]

[ This message was edited by: knil on 2010-12-07 21:38 ]

knil

Posted: 2010-12-07 21:46

Atempting to post a pic of the blue patches

Archathema

Posted: 2010-12-15 10:01

knil did tri state module reply to your email? I was looking at sending them my optical block on my XBR2 and came across your thread. Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: Archathema on 2010-12-15 10:03 ]

knil

Posted: 2010-12-15 10:56

Yeah, Tri State has been a great resource and I highly recomend them.  When I sent it in for the first repair and reinstalled it the green tint issue was fixed.  The light blue blobs that I was seeing must have been dust or something that got into the block during shipping.  When I sent it back they called me and said they could not see the blobs in it when they hooked it back up to a test set, but they did notice it was slightly out of line.  They were going to realign it and send it back.  They said my particular light engine for my XBR2 model typically goes bad by showing the greenish tint and does not typically exhibit the blue blob issue.  THey said they see the blue blob issues with older models.  So they were a little confused by my email when I was saying that I was seeing blue blobs, but they took it back for free warrenty check out.  They have been a great resource, and if you have any issues tearing into your TV set to get to your Optical Block just hit me back on this thread and I can try to help you out.  Since I have torn into my TV twice I am actually getting pretty good at taking it apart, LOL.

Knil

Archathema

Posted: 2010-12-16 06:39

Much appreciated. I've been hanging on to my XBR2 with hopes on having the optical block fixed. My hope is for around $300 I can get 2-3 more years from the set which should be possible as it won't get heavy use. I'm currently looking at tackling this after the first off the year as I'm currently in the middle of another project. Again thanks and I might take you up on the help in a few months.

Archathema

knil

Posted: 2010-12-18 23:19

No problem Archathema.  Just got the Optical Block back from Tri-State and reinstalled it on Friday.  No problem at all to report with the set, Looking good and looking forward to getting some more years out of the set, it is refreshing to see the picture on the looking sharp again with the new lamp installed.  Made out real good by taking Sony up on their replacement offer and tearing into the old 60 inch XBR2 set to have the optical shiped off for repair.  Really enjoying the 3D content on the new 55inch HX800 set and having the old XBR 2 up and running in the bedroom.  Now that it has been moved to the bedroom and relieved from it's high use living room duties I hope to get about another 8 years out of it.  Glad to finally have some closer on my TV adventure.  Thanks for allowing me to share my experience.  Again, anyone needing help with trying this Optical Block repair through Tri State themselves just let me know if I can help with any questions you might have in regards to taking an XBR2 model apart, I would be glad to share any lessons learned that I have had by taking mine apart twice.

Later,
    Knil

massari

Posted: 2010-12-19 00:12

DAMIT, how do i put my pictures in here??

I just can't seem to get them in here any help please.

It is asking me for a URL from the pictures but they dont have such a thing.

HEEEEEELP

knil

Posted: 2010-12-19 16:58

I was unsuccessful trying to post pictures in here as well.  I tried a few post up, but it did not seem to link them in.  Sorry to not be of any help, maybe someone else can chime in that has had better success.

Knil

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-12-20 18:53

You need to click the "Advanced Reply" button then the fourth button from the left in the bottom row "Upload your own Photo" and observe the width, height and size restrictions.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

lmiles

Posted: 2011-02-21 07:34

Knil

I'm in the process of removing optical block in my XRB2 and I could sure use some of your pics.  Could you please e-mail them to me at
    (Email Address will not display unless member has 100 posts or is a Premium Member, see the great benefits premium member have by clicking here)
    .  I started taking the set apart based on the google article but that set is nothing like XBR2 and I would rather not re-invent the wheel.. 

lmiles

Posted: 2011-02-21 07:36

Knil
    I can't post e-mail address plainly so let me try it crypticaly..  lw_miles  is the first part at a popular search engine yahoo so I'm sure you can fill in the blanks..

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.