Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:258
    Members:0
    Total of:258 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

HDBaseT to replace HDMI cables Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 2,723
    Last Reply: September 6, 2010, 5:41 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | The-Ish316 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author HDBaseT to replace HDMI cables
    The-Ish316

Posted: 2010-09-03 20:31

According to an article on PCWorld.com, HDMI is likely going to have some competition and may be on its way out.  An I would say, "Glad to hear it!"  I'm just not too sure how much better HTBaseT will be considering the size of the wires being used.  How can such small wires be better than the larger ones?  Then add power inside the wire bundle.  With some of the high end folks taking great pains to separate power from audio, how would this be high quality?  

I have had the same concerns with HDMI (without the power bundled in).  Do you think that quality is being sacrificed for the sake of convenience?  I am all for convenience, but...  Then, don't get me started on wireless HD connections...

'nuff said,

-----------------
    DenMar
    Sony STR-DA4ES, BDP-S1, DVP-NC600, KDL-52XBR9 HDTV, TC-WR6655S dual tape, SLV-676UC, & Athena AS-F2 & AS-C1 speakers; CSW Surrounds; HDR-SR12 & GV-D200; Explorer 8300

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-09-06 01:17

• Member Quote

On 2010-09-03 20:31, The-Ish316 wrote:
    Do you think that quality is being sacrificed for the sake of convenience?

This has been the business model for A/V gear for decades!

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

The-Ish316

Posted: 2010-09-06 08:37

I suspect then, that the only solution to this concern is to mod the hardware.  Yikes!  That sounds like that could get very expensive.  I am enjoying the audio of my blu-ray player via the multi-channel inputs.  I have less control, but it seems "cleaner" somehow.  (I'm not sure how else to describe it)  

Has anyone taken apart an HDMI cable to see what lies within it?  I'm curious.  I've seen the innards of an RJ-45 Ethernet cable and know that those wires are TINY.  Considering the size of the HDMI cables and the bulk of the insulation, I'm guessing they are tinier.  Or is the signal a jumble of digital info that's encoded/decoded at either end?

Another thought: how big are the leads inside our A/V gear to the connectors leading out of our A/V gear?  I'm guessing that they usually are also pretty small.  How might this affect the quality of the signal?  When I upgraded to higher gauge speaker wire, I experienced a vast improvement in sound quality.  Could fatter "pipes" all the way through the path create even more improvement?  

-----------------
    DenMar
    Sony STR-DA4ES, BDP-S1, DVP-NC600, KDL-52XBR9 HDTV, TC-WR6655S dual tape, SLV-676UC, & Athena AS-F2 & AS-C1 speakers; CSW Surrounds; HDR-SR12 & GV-D200; Explorer 8300

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-09-06 15:39

The size of the wire can be important especially when it comes to speaker wires, but the kind of wire used for a conductor and its conductivity are far more important to overall performance and sound quality. For example I had the internal wiring in my Power Amp replaced with Pure Copper wire with Teflon dielectric and the result was a huge improvement over the OEM wiring which was extra long for easy assembly.

As far as improved quality Ethernet wires for the emerging HTBaseT equipment is concerned Denon came out with the Denon Link AK-DL1 2 years ago and although it is way overpriced at $500 there are sure to follow even better built higher quality HTBaseT interconnects at much more affordable prices if HTBaseT ever does become accepted by enthusiasts who are concerned about getting improved levels of performance from their SOTA gear.

~Maxx~

-----------------

The-Ish316

Posted: 2010-09-06 15:49

Thanks, Maxx!  I really appreciate the exploded view of the Denon cable and the explanation yo offered on the difference upgraded connections make on the inside of components.   I just don't know what "SOTA gear" is.  Is that referring to the brand of turntable makers?

-----------------
    DenMar

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-09-06 17:41

SOTA is an acronym for State Of The Art which is where the High End Turntable maker derived its name from.

Denon has been using this 8 wire interface for some time and they have developed some very high quality gear that uses it, but it has yet to be seen whether or not it is widely adopted in the industry.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.