Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:183
    Members:0
    Total of:183 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KV-40XBR800 blow dryer method fix Dashboard
    Replies: 16 | Views: 8,201
    Last Reply: January 27, 2012, 1:17 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    BobF | Ironhead17 | withalligators | kex | macanante |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-40XBR800 blow dryer method fix
    withalligators

Posted: 2010-08-05 14:13

Howdy,
    I've come across a KV-40XBR800 for sale in my area.  This is a television I always wanted to own (but never wanted to carry).   However, the current owner states that he needed to hit the backend with a blow dryer for a while before it will start.  I've done some research on this and found that it is something of a common problem but I cannot find a repair linked to it.  Is this actually some kind of humidity "fuse" preventing turn-on?  Or is it actually some faulty part affected by humidity?  Is it the commonly  failing IC MCZ3001D on the D board?  If not, is there a fix for it?  Could I install an electrical cooling fan over the area in question?  Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Alex Mason

[ This message was edited by: withalligators on 2010-08-05 14:14 ]

Ironhead17

Posted: 2010-08-05 15:33

I believe you've contradicted yourself. I don't think it would be resolved by cooling the part that works occasionally by heating it. Spend some time reading BobF's post. You'll find your answer here I'm sure, just do your homework.

withalligators

Posted: 2010-08-05 16:49

I get what you are saying, and sure a heated element with a fan to dry an area would work better, but wouldn't a small fan on all the time the unit is on also move moisture off the part in question?  Again, I'm only as familiar with the problem as I've been able to read about on teh interwebs, and I'm only suggesting ideas in hopes that someone with more knowledge will chime in.  I will seek out this BobF post you speak to try and learn more. 
    Thanks,
    Alex Mason

Ironhead17

Posted: 2010-08-05 21:01

Now, I'm no technician by any means, but I believe the hair dryer trick utilizes the heat to help the IC function properly.

BobF

Posted: 2010-08-06 13:01

Alex,

Yes, the hair dryer trick has been discussed previously.  I think a temperature change can sometimes allow a marginal component to function properly. 

A very common source of Sony power on problems is a failed or failing MCZ3001D IC.  There are two of these on the D-Board of the KV-40XBR800 and many people have replaced these.  I replaced two to fix my KV-36XBR400.  Search this forum for "MCZ3001D" to learn all about this along with DIY tips.  The ICs only cost about $6 each but there is soldering and desoldering involved.

Personally I wouldn't buy a KV-40XBR800 unless it was working perfectly.  They are incredibly difficult to move and the blow dryer trick may stop workng at some point.  These older CRT sets can often be found for dirt cheap prices so I would keep looking.

withalligators

Posted: 2010-08-06 13:55

Howdy again,
       I've read up on the IC failure in the forums.  From what I gather thats a seven or six blink code that usually illuminates that or something else on the D board?  I got a message back from the seller saying it has six blinks, but I'm having them check again, and to see if it emits a different number after a pause.  Also, this TV is so cheap it practically is free, which is the only reason I am considering it.  Really, picking it up and moving it is going to be the hardest part.  They seem to come up more and more infrequently for sale otherwise I would just wait.  Provided there are no stairs to move it up or down, I think I will give it a shot, buy some sockets for the IC, and try to find some DB versions to pop in there.  Unless I can be convinced to not bother.  Otherwise I will update as help is needed or as status changes.  Thanks,
    Alex
    Also, anyone know where there is a schematic, or is the board labeled well enough that I can follow the numerous tutorials?  

BobF

Posted: 2010-08-06 14:30

Alex,

If you haven't moved one these these TV before, be prepared for a shock.  They are incredibly heavy and they are also awkward to lift.  They are very "tube-heavy". My KV-36XBR400 only weighs about 220 pounds and just lifting it up into my entertainment center with another guy was a challenge.  The KV-40XBR800 is about 300 pounds and you might need three fit people to lift it.

If you can't fix it you'll have to move it twice.

Practically free is great but be sure to factor in what your time and trouble are worth.  I love to see these fantastic TV get rescued from landfills but just be sure that you know what you're getting into.

The blink codes only point to likely problems with the TV.  So the problem could be something on the D-Board or even on another board.

The boards and the MCZ3001D ICs are labeled clearly so you won't need a schematic

Good luck!

Bob

withalligators

Posted: 2010-08-06 15:14

Bob, 
    That's what I was trying to get at.  The TV is only 50 bucks, but it's an hour away.  This means; 20 bucks or so in diesel in my pickup, plus 2 hours driving, who knows how long moving it (it took me 1.5 hours to move a 36fv300 100 feet and up into my truck by myself) out of the house, and another chunk of time getting it into my apartment (times 2 or 3 depending on how many guys I can take with me.  Then taking it with me where ever I move.  It is however, the largest CRT screen ever made, and of good quality (until you have problems).  The more I think about it, the more I am apt to pass until one comes along that hasn't failed.  It seems like these sonys either never have issues, or they have repeating problems.  But it would make a heck of a monitor for a mame cabinet.

BobF

Posted: 2010-08-06 22:26

Alex,

One particular problem to look out for with the KV-40XBR800 is a localized greenish discoloration in the picture.  Search this forum and the internet for "green glob" or "green blob" for details 

withalligators

Posted: 2010-08-07 01:47

Howdy again,
    I know about the "practically unfixable" green blobs.  This owner says the picture is immaculate.  She even said that when she plugge it in to test how many blinks there were for me, it just turned right on and the screen was fine.  It does sound like the IC unit from what I've read but who knows. 
    Thanks again,
    Alex

kex

Posted: 2010-09-18 11:31

I have had a 40XBR800 since 2003.  Recently it started acting up by not turning on.  We get six blinks of the standby LED.  Sometimes there is 7 blinks.  I have also seen 2 blinks and 4 blinks.  BUT if we leave the unit unplugged for about 8-12 hours, it will turn on.  At first, it would turn on after off overnight when I plugged it in.  Now it will not turn on if I plug it in but will turn on soon after I push the power switch.  When it has been on for a short time but gets turned off, it will not turn on again for 8-12 hours (though that's not exact.)  Seems as though a capacitor gets charged up and won't discharge for hours.  I don't think it's heat related because after leaving it unplugged overnight, I have tried to turn it on and then off again to see the diagnostics but it won't start a second time even if it was only on for a short while.  After leaving it off overnight, I restarted it and have left it on for about a week now with no obvious deterioration in the picture or audio, and no blinking of the standby LED, no smells, no smoke.  I did remove the batteries from the remote so no one (including me) would absent mindedly turn it off.  We also run a Wii and Netflix with the XBR.  The unit has been on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) almost continually since we first bought it.

BTW, I just watched a PS3 repair video on youtube in which a ps3 was "repaired" with a heat gun.  The author implied that the heat gun helps the solder to "reflow".   The surface mount wave soldering I have seen involved the entire board floating on a lake of molten solder, so "reflowing" the solder with a heat gun seems unreliable at best.

My first XBR was a 27" that lasted 10 years.  I sold it for $125 when I moved in 1995.  I did not use a UPS on that TV.

[ This message was edited by: kex on 2010-09-18 11:43 ]

BobF

Posted: 2010-09-18 14:56

kex,

My KV-36XBR400 had similar intermittent power up problems.  Eventually, I couln't get it to turn on at all.  In my case, The problem was due to one of the two MCZ3001D ICs on the D-Board.

There's a good chance that your 40XBR800 has the same problem.

Bob

BobF

Posted: 2010-09-18 15:14

kex,

My KV-36XBR400 had similar intermittent power up problems.  Eventually, I couln't get it to turn on at all.  In my case, The problem was due to one of the two MCZ3001D ICs on the D-Board.

There's a good chance that your 40XBR800 has the same problem.

Bob

withalligators

Posted: 2010-09-18 19:35

Do what BobF says, it's a simple and cheap fix, and probably will solve the problem.  If not, then you have not wasted much time or money. 
    Also, the PS3 heat gun fix is notorious for having a short life span, I wouldn't reccomend doing any of this to a TV.  Search around on the forum, there is an excellent walkthrough by Bobf, Jehill, and sholliday. 

kex

Posted: 2010-09-19 15:03

BobF, withalligators

Thanks for the input. If it dies on me, I'll try that solution but right now I'm not that desperate.
    The heat gun solution is not acceptable but I may try it on a computer motherboard some day since I recently tossed a $180 motherboard with a bad south bridge chip. I'll check out the walkthrough, too.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.