Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:212
    Members:1
    Total of:213 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP2.9 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Ľ Ľ Television Troubleshooting

blinking lights (7) KV32HS420 Dashboard
    Replies: 8 | Views: 3,490
    Last Reply: February 20, 2011, 12:39 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    BobF | JoJo7 | selvan777 | CathyJ |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author blinking lights (7) KV32HS420
    selvan777
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-08-01 13:04

HI,

I've searched and read much here about this issue and have come to the conclusion that the odds are that I too need to replace the 2 chips (MCZ3001D) on the D-board as a first attempt to DIY repair this beast.  Especially so with an estimate of $169 from a trusted shop I've used for 15+ years now.

All I need now is help locating the chips and perhaps some detailed tips getting the job done.

Thanks
    Selvan

selvan777
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-08-06 11:04

Thank you John for the two files (E28041743-topfailures.pdf & E28041743.htm), I do see both the IC's there.

How about some additional support getting the task done correctly, please. I'm all familiar with ESD precautions, so no worries there. But are there specific details? Like do I need to completely remove the d board first? If so, should all connectors be unplugged or do certain ones require cutting? Not being a tv tech, I don't really know what the right questions are. Are there special techniques to apply in getting the job done?

Thanks,
    Selvan

BobF

Posted: 2010-08-07 09:20

The ICs are clearly labeled on the D-Board so locating them shouldn't take you too long.

Removing the entire D-Board can be a problem because of an often difficult to disconnect wire that runs from the yoke-mounted C-Board to the Flyback (FBT).  A better solution may be to rotate the D-Board up into its "Service Position". You shoud be able to do that without disconnecting the wire to the FBT. 

When I repaired my KV-36XBR400, I slid the entire lower chassis out of the TV and I cut the FBT wire and spliced it back together to complete the repair.

Alll of these topics are covered extensively in this forum although it may take a lot of reading since everything is scattered in different threads.

But one of the best threads is the "XBR400 Dead!" thread:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1121&forum=34&start=0&select_page_number=1

And there's another very helpful one over on AVSforum.com:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=928945

Good Luck!

Bob

selvan777
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-08-07 10:24

Thanks Bob,

Fact is I haven't even opened my KV32HS420 yet, am waiting till the MCZ3001DB chips arrive. Upon doing so, perhaps all this will make better sense to me. Thanks for narrowing down the search for with those two links but I see that they both quote the XBR models, please confirm whether or not it also applies to the HS model line like my KV32HS420.

Thanks a bunch,
    Selvan

BobF

Posted: 2010-08-07 19:27

I believe that the basic advice and strategies will all apply to the HS line, But I can't confirm that independently.

Good luck!

Bob

JoJo7

Posted: 2010-08-16 20:21

Bob and Selvan,
    I used the advice and strategies and replaced the two mcz3001db ics on the D(large PCB) and my KV34HS510 has been working great for the past 8 months. Mine was flashing 4 then 5 and sometimes 7. Would not turn on - no audio or video. It was intermittent for a long while before failing completely.
    Thanks for the info. What are those High Voltage regulators?

Keith

selvan777
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-08-16 21:06

Thanks for sharing, Keith.

I'm ready to dive in but am still waiting on a friend to help place this beast on my dining table. I like that little touch on the high voltage...

selvan777
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-08-23 19:24

It'd done, but for $120+my 2 chips...

There's no way I coulda done it! Took the cover off, relaxed a couple harnesses, lifted and pulle out the plastic board with the DZ & AY boards screwed on and saw that both IC's solder ends were located directly in-line/above with some of the plastic the boards were screwed into.

Meaning to say that the only way I could access the solder was to unscrew and remove the DZ (or the DZ & the AY) board. Maybe I'm wrong but that to me looked like I had to disconnect all kinds of wires to free the board(s) up.

CathyJ
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-02-20 00:39

Itís done:  Total cost $11.99

I put the chips in my TV, and it has worked great ever since.  I got my chips for Ebay.  The shipping took a long time, but the price was right.  I put the sockets in, and got a spare set. Now if it ever goes out again, I wonít have to take the board all apart, I can just pop out the chip and plug in the new ones.

Here is a picture of the board and the chip location.  I removed all the cables form the board except the red and white one form the capacitor.  There was plenty of room with the cable on to turn the board over and work on it.

In this picture, you can see that I used sticky numbers to label all the cables I had to disconnect.  I also took close up pictures before I started messing with it for future reference in case I needed it.

Also in this picture you can see two of the clips that hold the boards together.  There are two more towards the front.  This picture is towards the back of the board.  I had a bit of a time trying to figure out how to remove them.  You will have to pry them a bit, one side will swing up, it is hinged.

Getting the capacitor cable off the back of the TV picture tube was a bit worrisome too.  I had to pull a bit hard, and was worried about breaking it.  Once you get it unhooked, be sure to ground the capacitor so you donít get shocked.  I did this by touching a piece of insulated wire to the capacitor wire, then touching the other end to the ground prong of a grounded receptacle.

Getting the cover off the TV and getting the board loose took more time than getting the old chips removed and the new ones installed.  It looked a bit overwhelming, but once I took the dive, it wasnít to bad at all.

Ebay Chips form here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-MCZ3001DB-MCZ3001D-MCZ3001-IC-18-PIN-SOCKET-/260731944198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4d5bd06

I love it when a DIY project works out!!!

[ This message was edited by: CathyJ on 2011-02-20 00:41 ]

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.