Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:165
    Members:0
    Total of:165 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Digital manual tuning on Sony Bravia KDL-32V4000 Dashboard
    Replies: 4 | Views: 9,768
    Last Reply: June 22, 2010, 8:28 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | walkad |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Digital manual tuning on Sony Bravia KDL-32V4000
    walkad

Posted: 2010-06-13 08:23

I've just discovered this website - just in time to preserve my sanity, I hope!

The TV can't find the channels on Auto Tuning and on Manual Tuning it can find them but not store them!!

The TV has HDMI connections to Sony Hard Disk Recorder SVR-HD900 and to Sony DVD player DAV-DZ570.

The external antenna with masthead amplifier goes to the HDR and an RF lead goes from HDR to TV.

With this setup the TV can't  find any  channels when I use Digital Auto Tuning.

When I use Digital Manual Tuning, the TV can find the channels but when I have completed the process and then choose any channel, it tells me "Channel XXX is not tuned".

Connecting the antenna direct to TV, it finds all channels using Auto Tuning and displays them correctly when chosen. But when the antenna is connected via the HDR, the problem returns. This means I can only use the tuners in the HDR but not the tuner in the TV.

I found somewhere else a suggestion that the HDMI connection could be the culprit, but no reason given as to why this is so.

Any clues/sugestions would be much appreciated.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-06-20 12:57

Welcome to Agoraquest!  The HDMI connections have nothing to due with your issue.  I assume that the HDMI connections are FROM, not TO the
    Sony Hard Disk Recorder SVR-HD900 and to Sony DVD player DAV-DZ570.

Usually, the RF output from a component is a single channel, such as 3 or 4.  If this is the case, the TV must be tuned to that channel and the tuner in the component providing the RF output must be used.  All channels are converted to the single channel.  The TV only "sees" the single channel.

walkad

Posted: 2010-06-21 00:04

Many thanks, jehill, for your succint reply.

Yes, the HDMI is connected FROM recorder TO TV, and FROM DVD player TO TV.

The RF signal (from external antenna with masthead amplifier) goes firstly to the HDR, and then from HDR to RF input on TV.

But with both components out of the action (both turned off but still connected), I can't tune the digital channels on the TV.  Yet the analogue channels can be tuned and saved to programme positions. So the TV set is "seeing" the RF input which is coming via the HDR and successfully saving the channels.

With the HDR turned off but with the RF connections still in place, I try to tune the TV using the "Set Up / Digital Auto Tuning" screen.  This results in the message "No stations found. Check antenna connections".

So I try the "Digital Manual Tuning" screen.  This results in the stations appearing in ghost form behind the tuning screen as I process each station.  Having gone through the process of choosing the programme positions for each station and saving the settings, I then exit the SET UP screens and move across to "DIGITAL" where I can see each channel listed as an icon.

But when I press the centre SELECT button, I get a black screen with the channel name at the top (and it even flashes the name of the programme showing currently on that channel) but says underneath "This channel is not tuned".

BUT I know the channels ARE tuned, because if  I simply  disconnect the external antenna from the HDR and plug it directly into the RF input on the TV, all the digital channels perform perfectly  and are found in the positions I placed them.

So it obviously has something to do wth the antenna connections.  On the back of the HDR there are 4 RF sockets: AERIAL IN, AERIAL OUT and 2 marked RF THROUGH which are bridged with a short lead.  The external antenna is plugged into AERIAL IN and the AERIAL OUT goes to the TV.  Is this where there's an error? Or do I need some sort of antenna splitter so the TV gets a direct RF feed instead of coming via the HDR?

Totally mystifying, frustrating and inexplicable!!

What am I missing?

Thanks again for your help.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-06-21 17:50

Try connecting to one of the RF THROUGH outputs.  I am puzzled by what the difference could be between the AERIAL OUT and RF THROUGH outputs.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to troubleshooting information for the SVR-HD900, so I can't look at the drawings to see what the difference is.

walkad

Posted: 2010-06-22 08:28

Success!!

Thanks, jehill, for your suggestion about the RF THROUGH sockets.  It solved the problem but in the weirdest way.

The RF THROUGH sockets are one male and one female. So I tried connecting the lead from the TV to the female plug but no result, except that the TV would no longer see the channels even during the digital setup as it would before.

So then, with the TV still turned on, I replaced the TV lead in the AERIAL OUT socket and went to reconnect the short loop lead to the female RF THROUGH socket and surprise!! surprise!! - the TV momentarily  burst into life showing the digital channel that was programmed earlier.  But as soon as the plug from the TV was pushed further into the socket, the TV went blank again.

But as long as the outer (earth) part of the plug was touching the earth part of the socket, the TV worked perfectly with all digital channels operating as normal. It is still operating with  this weird half-connection setup.

So while the problem is solved - sort of - I have no idea why it is operating in this strange mode.

Can it have something to do with the masthead amplifier which is injecting voltage into the RF lead where it comes from the wall socket? (I only installed a masthead amplifier because the picture on digital channels was breaking up occasionally and I presumed it was because the signal was weak. The gain on the amplifier is set quite low but it has improved the breakup problem.)

Mystifying and mysterious!!  Any clues as to why this solution works?

Thanks again for your very helpful suggestion.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.