Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:171
    Members:0
    Total of:171 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

strda3es volume control problem Dashboard
    Replies: 8 | Views: 3,217
    Last Reply: June 11, 2010, 2:13 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    AaronB | nightmare | ES_RevengeII | LJensen |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author strda3es volume control problem
    LJensen

Posted: 2010-06-07 19:53

I purchased a str-da3es on ebay.  Hooked it up and the volume is cranked up. I can't turn it down.  When I use the remote I can hear a motor turning, but the volume doesn't change.  Any one now how to fix this, maybe something broke in shipping and I need to solder something. If it's broke and I need a new part where would I get the parts.  Any help would be appreciated

AaronB

Posted: 2010-06-08 10:26

can you adjust the volume manually, i.e. does the volume knob move, and if so, does it affect the volume setting?

LJensen

Posted: 2010-06-08 10:37

I can move the knob manually. It does not change the volume. It turns smooth. It doesn't feel like anything is broken.  When I turn the knob nothing changes on the lcd screen. No numbers on the lcd screen change letting you now where the volume is at or how much it has changed. The same thing happens when I use the remote only I can here a motor turning when I try to change the volume.

nightmare

Posted: 2010-06-08 12:56

Perhaps this will be of some help (you'll need to take off the front to verify the following):

The volume board's connection should be flush with the display board like in this picture:

and if that looks fine, check to make sure the ALPS piece isn't damaged. The clips on the front of it should look like this:

AaronB

Posted: 2010-06-09 13:51

If the volume is stuck at max, then I would suspect that the "DGND" signal (see pictures by nightmare) may be faulty (not connected). Check this. There may be a bad connection, cold solder joint, etc. at any point. Find where DGND connects to the pot and check that there is a low resistance between that leg of the pot and the chassis (powered off and unplugged please!).

LJensen

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:49

Thanks for the posts. It will be this weekend when I can get into it. I'll let you now what happens.

ES_RevengeII

Posted: 2010-06-09 21:02

That's why it's good that they changed the volume knob to a "rotary encoder" which is not an analog pot, in receivers from that DA4ES and onward.  Of course I have a DA7100ES with a defective rotary encoder that is currently in the shop for the volume control anyway, LOL.

I guess in the end, either one can have problems.  But I think it's safe to assue the non-motorised, non-positional, encoders are more reliable than the old motorised analog pots...

LJensen

Posted: 2010-06-11 13:50

My volume board is sitting flush with thedisplay board and my alps peice looks fine. Any other sugestions. Could something internal in the alps piece be broken.  Im guessing that is the motor I heard spinning, when I tried to adjust the volume with the remote control.

LJensen

Posted: 2010-06-11 14:13

I powered it up again. When I adjust the volume with the remote the knob turns slowly. The DB numbers on the lcd screen doesn't change as the volume knob goes up or down.  When the knob get to its end position there is some strain on the motor.  I ran it up and down a few times. Once the DB moved from 13 to 12 now it is stuck on 12, no matter what position the volume knob is in.  When I was doing all this I didn't have the speakers hooked up I just had power to the reciever. How do I tell if the volume control knob has malfunctioned.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.