Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:247
    Members:2
    Total of:249 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP3.2 min
    ShadowLord0.1 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

Loud popping sound from Sony STR-DA5500ES receiver? Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 5,191
    Last Reply: January 7, 2010, 3:24 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    ajglass | AaronB | Balaclava | duketbrd88 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Loud popping sound from Sony STR-DA5500ES receiver?
    Balaclava

Posted: 2010-01-06 14:42

Last week I purchased a brand new Sony STR-DA5500ES  receiver. A loud popping sound comes from the speakers every time I power down the receiver with the TV powered on. If I power down the TV first I get no popping sound. The connection to the TV is via HDMI. The TV speakers are not being used. Is there a problem with the receiver or is this normal. I checked all my connections and they are fine.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

ajglass
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-01-06 20:57

Are you turning the receiver off or putting into "sleep" mode? Are you using a power conditioner?

I have the same receiver set up in a similar fashion to yours and encounter no such problem.

Balaclava

Posted: 2010-01-06 23:08

I’m putting the receiver in “sleep” mode using the remote. The only power conditioning I have is a surge protector. It is very strange when I power off (sleep mode) my TV. The sound from the receiver mutes for about 3 to 4 seconds before coming back on. I find it strange that the TV would have such an effect. The TV is only being used as a monitor and only connected to the HDMI output of the receiver.

fficeffice" />> >

I have read only good reviews about the 5500ES but it has not worked well for me. I have had other puzzling problems with it. At one point I set the HDMI to direct connect to the output. When I did that and accessed the onscreen menu the output picture and sound would flash on and off with terrible crackling in both picture and sound. It would last for at least 10 seconds before becoming stable. It would then do the same thing again when turning off the menu. Is that normal?

> >

I also had the HDMI output image freeze once. At first I thought it was my HD cable box and I turned it off. The frozen image stayed on the screen. After I removed power from the receiver the HDMI output didn’t work at all. I then reset and cleared the memory as per the manual and it started working again.

> >

I bought it at the Sony Style store and told them about the problems. I told them I wanted to exchange it for another receiver and they said to use it a little longer and see if it works better. They said if there is a problem they would have to see the problem first and then send it in for repair. I really don’t want it repaired. This thing was defective from day one. They also said I have until January 16 to return it for a full refund.  I may just have to do that.

duketbrd88

Posted: 2010-01-07 08:29

i would first try new HDMI cables, make sure you can return them. If that doesn't help i would return the receiver for full refund, then buy a new one when you get your full credit back. That way your not getting your brand unit repaired, if that is the problem. I would also try a different hdmi port on your monitor, you could have a bad hdmi port on your monitor. It could also be a bad hdmi port on your cable/sat box. Try component cables and rca or optical from your cable/sat box and see if you get the same problem. It's a process of elimination and a pain to narrow down the problem. try putting the hdmi cable from your monitor straight to your cable box and use the optical out to to your receiver. you may have to change settings and you don't need expensive optical or hdmi cables, just decent quality. What cables are you using? make sure they have the HDMI trademark lable on them. If all else fails, return the receiver before your time is up, if your not happy with it. You can always buy another one, but once your time is up your stuck sending it in for repairs. i hope some of my tips help to narrow down the problem. Mike

duketbrd88

Posted: 2010-01-07 12:48

Is there another cable box in the house that you can try, just to rule out the cable box as a potential problem? Make sure you have a good grounded outlet and the surge protector is ok. Try plugging the receiver directly into the wall.

AaronB

Posted: 2010-01-07 15:24

Try changing the HDMI audio setting on the receiver from TV+AMP to AMP ONLY.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.