Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:232
    Members:1
    Total of:233 users
    MemberLogged
    jwakefield0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Television Troubleshooting

IMPORTANT: Sony Optical Block/Blue Blob Issue Update Dashboard
    Replies: 48 | Views: 35,604
    Last Reply: July 12, 2010, 4:10 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | jttar | send2web | rlawsha | slinke | Pandora | Barbblack | sevaen | jonlong9491 | HickoryNC | kgary2010 |
    This thread topic spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author IMPORTANT: Sony Optical Block/Blue Blob Issue Update
    claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-02 00:51

Recently I have been seen more and more posts on the Optical Block/Blue blob issue that is happening to the Grand Wega TV sets. Many people including myself have this issue and have not been able to get it fixed. Mainly due to it being out of the warranty period even the extended warranty. I have spoken to customer service who basically state that since it's out of the extended warranty there is nothing they can do. Well, it looks like things have come to the boiling point with consumers. Now there is a pressure for Sony to act with more and more angry customers who post to this and other website forums.

Now NBC news has devoted a good size segment to this issue on their "Call to Action" segment.

Below is the story on "Blue Blobs Block TV Set"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLATHE, Kan. --Television sets across the country are turning blue and their owners are red with anger over this expensive repair.

Newer television sets display vivid pictures and color. So, imagine how distracting it is when those colors get distorted.

Tony Otrosko never expected to make the news. He just likes watching it. That's why he built a custom cabinet for his $3,700 LCD projection set.

His investment is fizzling out after just four years.

"I expected this thing to last until I was well to a point where I couldn't see," Otrosko said.

It's not his sight that's going, but the TV optical block is fading. It's causing blue dots and blue lines to pop onto the screen. As more and more dots appear, Otrosko finds himself counting dots rather than focusing on his favorite TV program.

"I'm at the point where I tape my newscasts because I miss most of the news watching the silly dots appear all over the place," Otrosko said.

It's a problem happening all over the United States.

Web sites are full of consumer complaints about blue and green blobs for all kinds of Sony makes and models. When the blobs and complaints began popping up, so did class action lawsuits.

Sony temporarily extended the warranty on some sets, but Otrosko's isn't covered right now.

Sony's offered him a few deals on other sized sets, but Otrosko has refused their offers leaving him with a $1m000 dollar repair bill.

"I would have a big hole in here unless I recreate the woodwork around it and I'm not ready to surrender this one. It's only four years how can you throw away a TV set after four years?" Otrosko asks.

We called Sony Electronics, and the company is willing to pay for 100 percent of the repairs and Otrosko accepted this offer.

"I was lucky enough to ask for your help," Otrosko said.

Video can be seen at: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/content/cfa/story/Blue-Blobs-Block-Out-TV/DZ-ffjxNekab5cSOUMxNzw.cspx?articleID=551809

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a response from Tim Brison Senior Vice President Sony Electronics Service Platform from a mass email. I recommend people to email Tony and let them know about your Optical block issue. Also, let him know that you found it from Agoraquest. The more people we can get to email, the better chance we all have on getting our units repaired.

To our valued customers:

Thank you for sharing your service experience with us. I oversee Sony Electronics' service operations, engineering, product compliance/safety and quality, and the Customer Information Services Center in the United States, and I have to tell you that we all take a lot of pride in customer satisfaction and your input is always much appreciated. Our customer service representative, Tony, has been looking further into each case brought to our attention. For those Grand Wega customers who are out of the limited warranty period, Sony is offering the following options: - A discount on the repair cost of the TV's optical block, or - A new replacement TV for a significantly discounted price. If you have not been offered either of these accommodations please let us know, so that Tony (TonyAtSony@am.sony.com) can follow up with you personally.

Customer satisfaction and product quality and reliability are very important to Sony and we stand behind the quality of our products and services. The various accommodations offered to Grand Wega customers who are outside the current limited warranty period are just an example of our commitment to customer satisfaction. We continually post service updates on our customer support web site at http://esupport.sony.com and our community forums here at http://sonyelectronicscommunity.com/... so check back regularly for new information.

Sincerely,

Tim Brison Senior Vice President Sony Electronics Service Platform

Here are several threads which are several pages deep on this issue

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26237&forum=34

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32480&forum=34

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33190&forum=34

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32978&forum=34

Update #2
    There is now Facebook group on this, if you search for "I Have a Defective Sony TV", it will appear. Become a Fan for that group to get updates on this issue.

[ This message was edited by: claudio on 2009-12-02 01:13 ]

[ This message was edited by: claudio on 2009-12-02 01:13 ]

slinke

Posted: 2009-12-02 01:27

I have made a few posts in this forum, but this seems like an appropriate point to provide another link to my comprehensive informational web site on Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems. Sony is forcing its customers into a corner, essentially asking them to write-off ~$2,000-$10,000 TV purchases after only about 1 to 5 years of usage. I can tell you that Sony Customer Support is not your last option. I ended up taking them to small claims court over my 2004 Grand WEGA, and I recently received a sizable judgment. As unfortunate as this is, litigation seems the last best hope.

I also recently posted a message in this forum about a new warranty extension alert from Sony on all of their 2007 models. You may want to add it to your "Sony Alerts" section.

[ This message was edited by: slinke on 2009-12-02 01:28 ]

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-02 02:34

Hi Slinke,

Great information on your website. Also, in a few days we should have some major updates on this issue.

Below is some information from Slinke's website.

Optical block and related problems by TV model

Grand WEGA blue blobs, blue haze, blue stain, blue band, and blue star pattern (yellow or green haze or stain in some cases for 2005+ models)

The precise cause(s) of the colored visual anomalies on the Grand WEGA models have not been made public by Sony. They tend to start as diffuse blobs, haze, stains, or bands, and once they become evident, they tend to move around and spread across the entire screen over the course of a few weeks to months. They likely tend to be bluish in color, because the LCD assembly (the LCD panel itself, as well as adjacent filters and associated parts) that produces "blue" is subject to high heat levels and/or is particularly sensitive to certain wavelengths of light produced by the projection lamp and/or dust. One speculative, but plausible, theory is that the filter(s) associated with the blue LCD must absorb the highest energy wavelengths of light (red through green), converting them into heat, which then directly damages the filter(s) and/or is conducted to associated parts and damages them. In any case, the parts are subjected to slow degradation due to heat and/or light, which may be further exacerbated by exposure to dust and the "burning" of dust onto the over-heated parts.

The blue haze can be transiently more intense in areas with brighter static images (resembling burn-in), and some who have dismantled their optical blocks have reported that the orange-colored filter/plate associated with the blue LCD panel shows visible signs of degradation, and that swapping this filter eliminates the haze. These observations provide further evidence that light exposure (or the conversion of certain wavelengths of light into heat) is at least one factor in the development of the blue anomalies. The LCD assemblies for red and green are likely virtually identical to the blue one (other than the color of the associated filters), but they probably undergo slower degradation.

The blue star pattern is probably a more severe case of degradation that likely represents "stuck pixels" (permanently activated) due to direct damage to the blue LCD panel that arises from chronic over-heating. The pixels can appear blue or white. Similar to the blobs and haze, the star pattern tends to expand over time to more and more pixels. Another, perhaps rarer, visual anomaly is a static ring or circle of color in the middle of the TV, which may have a somewhat different cause than the blobs or haze.

All of these anomalies tend to appear after about 6,000 to 10,000 hours of usage. This can take approximately 1 to 5 years, depending on the daily usage of the TV. It is also possible that leaving the TV on for prolonged periods can accelerate the degradation.

While the 2003 and 2004 Grand WEGA models tend to have primarily blue visual anomalies, as described above, there is some evidence that the 2005 and 2006 Grand WEGA models may also exhibit anomalies in the yellow, orange, or brown spectrum, in some cases.

[ This message was edited by: claudio on 2009-12-02 02:35 ]

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-02 09:59

So checking with other members. After they email Tony, they get the following email.
    Seems that they give a discount on the repair cost or a new replacement TV at a discoutned price.  Not sure why they are giving a discount, they should cover the entire cost and how much of a discount off a new tv?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thankyou for sharing your service experience with us. I oversee SonyElectronics’ service operations, engineering, product compliance/safetyand quality, and the Customer Information Services Center in the UnitedStates, and I have to tell you that we all take a lot of pride incustomer satisfaction and your input is always much appreciated.

Ourcustomer service representative, Tony, looked further into your caseand has confirmed that your TV is out of the extended limited warrantyperiod that was designed to accommodate both parts and labor.

As a Sony Grand Wega customer that is out of the extended limited warranty, you are being offered two options:

- A discount on the repair cost of the TV’s optical block, or

- A new replacement TV for a significantly discounted price.

Ifyou have not been offered either of these accommodations please let meknow, so that Tony can follow up with you personally.

Customersatisfaction and product quality and reliability are very important toSony and we stand behind the quality of our products and services. Thevarious accommodations offered to Grand Wega customers who are outsidethe current limited warranty period are just an example of ourcommitment to customer satisfaction.

We continually postservice updates on our customer support web site athttp://esupport.sony.com and our community forums athttp://sonyelectronicscommunity.com/forum so check back regularly fornew information.

Sincerely,
    Tim Brison
    Senior Vice President
    Sony Electronics Service Platform

Barbblack

Posted: 2009-12-02 11:32

I also received the email from Tim Brison.  The reason Mr. Brison's offer is of little value is that all the optical blocks in the Grand Wegas have an inherent defect. They will fail--with the often-described blue blobs, star fields, and yellow and green anomolies--in 1 to 4 years. Mine was replaced after 2 1/2 years, and it is again failing in about the same amount of time. Even if Sony replaced the optical blocks at no cost to the owners (which they are not offering unless you sue them or have a television consumer reporter contact them on your behalf), THEY WILL STILL FAIL prematurely, because they are defective and Sony has no fix. Sony will offer no guarantee on the replacement parts.

Sony's offer to SELL affected Wega owners a highly-discounted "replacement" TV is usually for a smaller model at a price that is the same or even higher than they can purchase it for at another on-line retail site like Amazon.com. (In my case they offered me a 52"...8" smaller than my current set.) Be clear: Sony is not offering to "give" anyone a free replacement TV.

Sony is doing this so they can appear to be making a fair and generous offer to the Wega owners.  But when you analyze what they're actually offering, it is insulting and irresponsible. After being stonewalled by no fewer than seven different Sony representatives, culminating in the same, deceptive and tired offer from Mr Brison, I have filed paperwork in Massachusetts small claims court (I own a 60" Grand Wega that I paid over $4K for in November, 2004).

[ This message was edited by: Barbblack on 2009-12-02 11:39 ]

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-02 12:05

Hi Barb, I totally agree with you. In several threads, we have members who were offered a discounted TV. Maybe $400 to $500 off the cost but the the cost was the actual retail price. And when you remove the $500, it was still higher then Amazon or even Best Buy. Which makes no sense. They even sometimes charge shipping when several other places ... See Moreoffer it for free. What they need to do is say the replacement TV is XXXXX and it's $500 (maybe $400) with free shipping to regain consumer's confidence.

sevaen

Posted: 2009-12-02 19:18

I am in the same boat.  I have taken a vow to never buy another Sony product ever again, nor recommend them.  I am even going as far as to bash their name to everyone I know.

I have a Sony KDF60XS955 with a big ol blue blob at the bottom.  Lets make these SOBs pay for their lack of care for loyal customers.

• Member Quote

On 2009-12-02 11:32, Barbblack wrote:
    I also received the email from Tim Brison.  The reason Mr. Brison's offer is of little value is that all the optical blocks in the Grand Wegas have an inherent defect. They will fail--with the often-described blue blobs, star fields, and yellow and green anomolies--in 1 to 4 years. Mine was replaced after 2 1/2 years, and it is again failing in about the same amount of time. Even if Sony replaced the optical blocks at no cost to the owners (which they are not offering unless you sue them or have a television consumer reporter contact them on your behalf), THEY WILL STILL FAIL prematurely, because they are defective and Sony has no fix. Sony will offer no guarantee on the replacement parts.

Sony's offer to SELL affected Wega owners a highly-discounted "replacement" TV is usually for a smaller model at a price that is the same or even higher than they can purchase it for at another on-line retail site like Amazon.com. (In my case they offered me a 52"...8" smaller than my current set.) Be clear: Sony is not offering to "give" anyone a free replacement TV.

Sony is doing this so they can appear to be making a fair and generous offer to the Wega owners.  But when you analyze what they're actually offering, it is insulting and irresponsible. After being stonewalled by no fewer than seven different Sony representatives, culminating in the same, deceptive and tired offer from Mr Brison, I have filed paperwork in Massachusetts small claims court (I own a 60" Grand Wega that I paid over $4K for in November, 2004).

[ This message was edited by: Barbblack on 2009-12-02 11:39 ]

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-03 18:18

Honestly,  I will still buy Sony products. Love their products like my VAIO. But they really screwed this situation up. They should have been ahead of this issue and paid 100% repairs or given a good credit portion towards a LCD replacement. Now they seem to back track from their extended warranty which ended last year and trying to make amends by giving 50% repairs towards the repair bill or a small discount towards a TV. I'm hoping they step up either pay 100% of the repair or give a good size credit towards a new LCD. I still believe in Sony that they will come through after all their slogan is "Make believe"

[ This message was edited by: claudio on 2009-12-03 18:19 ]

jonlong9491

Posted: 2009-12-03 19:16

I have the same issue with my Grand WEGA KDF-E42A10 which first manifested after about 3 years and just a few months after replacing the $200 lamp.  Sony Support professed to know nothing.  After writing them, Sony corporate offered an oh so "generous discount" of about 7% of a new LCD set.  SONY has made millions selling these defective sets and the problem has existed over a range of its products that employ the same technology.  SONY no longer makes these sets.  There are several major class action lawsuits pending, including one here in California.  I told SONY "no sale" since I felt it inappropriate to reward SONY with yet another sale where it profits from its own defective products.  I would have accepted SONY's offer if it had offered a 7% discount from its cost -- i.e., so that SONY would not profit from passing on a defective product to an unsuspecting public.  I will NEVER AGAIN buy a SONY product and I own and have owned quite a few of them.  SONY does not support its products.   I have a VAIO computer and several years ago had a similar problem with SONY support when the "restore discs" didn't work and SONY refused to replace them -- I had to buy a whole new operating system.   SONY SUCKS!

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-03 23:11

Another TV segment regarding the Optical Block this time on Local 12 WKRC Cincinnati.
    Looks this television issue is starting to pick up steam in the media.

Video of the TV segment can be seen here

http://www.local12.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=43196@wkrc.dayport.com

Summary of the segment.

An Oxford woman falls victim to a problem that's plagued certain Sony TV sets. But she complains Sony told her its free repair offer has now expired. So, she turned to Local 12 Troubleshooter Howard Ain for help.

Barb Bailey bought her 55-inch Sony tv set back in 2004. She paid more than $3000 for it and was surprised when things started going wrong this summer. "All of a sudden the blue dots started showing up on the screen and we called Sony to ask them what it was, what they thought it was, and they said its called the color optical block which is a $700 part."

Bailey says when you pay for installation, the cost jumps to more than $900. She checked on Sony's website and found she isn't the only one with this problem. "It just says a very limited number of Sony TV's may exhibit a blue patchy shade of dots on the screen after a period of time because of this issue is due to the optical block in the television and service will be required to resolve."

The blue dots are all over the picture screen and the picture itself has pretty much lost its color, it's almost just black and white. "Here it comes showing right here that there were problems with the television and we just feel that Sony didn't notify us."

The Sony web site says free repairs were offered until last December, but Bailey didn't have the problem till recently.  Her wish? "Just to have our tv fixed and the repairman said the color block should have never went out of the TV. That's a part that should not go out on a TV."

So I contacted Sony which agreed it had a problem with some of its Vega TV sets and now offered to replace that color optical block for Bailey at no charge. It's also offering to give her a credit toward the purchase of some new sets if she prefers that instead.

Pandora

Posted: 2009-12-03 23:38

Okay ,so I watched 2 Sony Wega customers with the optical block problem. I am experiencing the same problem . The only way to get Sony to fix the optical block is to go to your local tv channel? I will never buy another Sony product. I just want mine fixed at no charge. I have talked to several people at Sony all I ever get is its my problem to fix. One sony analyst had the nerve to tell me my tv doesn't have that particular problem!  I do own the 2005 KDF-55WF655 Grand Wega $3000,00 piece of junk. I will continue to check Agoraquest for updates in hopes that Sony will come to their senses and replace all of our optical blocks free of charge.
        I'm not going to hold my breath. Sorry to be so negative but I am very upset.

Pandora

Barbblack

Posted: 2009-12-04 12:33

Visit http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612#/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?v=wall
    It's a site for all the Wega owners who have fallen victim to the defective optical block and Sony's utterly infuriating "customer service". An effective mobilization of resources is taking place there.

Pandora

Posted: 2009-12-06 22:29

I emailed Tony , a week ago and still no reponse. Im getting absolutely no where with this blue blob problem. I would appreciate any help from anyone.

Thank you,
    Pandora

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-12-07 09:07

Hi Pandora,

I sent Tony an email as well last Thursday and haven't heard back. Going to send him another email this week if I don't hear from him

Pandora

Posted: 2009-12-07 13:19

Hi Claudio,

Thank you very much dear. As a senior citizen with limited funds I am appauled with Sony's behavior. Do you think they will make things right with the rest of their customers?

I also own a Sony Video camera. I would like your opinion Claudio on if it would be beneficial for me to replace my blue blob tv (which is in the middle of my screen) and can't watch anything , or buy another tv? You can bet I won't buy another Sony .

Thank you Claudio for any help you can provide for me,

Linda

This topic thread spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.