Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:244
    Members:2
    Total of:246 users
    MemberLogged
    claudio0.1 min
    Maxxwire15.1 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

DA4ES Front left channel clipping off at low volume... Dashboard
    Replies: 3 | Views: 3,215
    Last Reply: November 18, 2009, 7:58 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | The-Ish316 | SCHAustin |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author DA4ES Front left channel clipping off at low volume...
    SCHAustin

Posted: 2009-11-15 01:09

Hello all...I have had a DA4ES for about 5 years now and have always loved the unit.  I recently upgraded to a new TV, so I had to reconfigure my receiver cabling, move its' position, etc.

Upon hooking everything back together, I noticed the my front left speaker channel wasn't producing any sound unless I crank the volume WAY up (like to 10 db or so...). Once I get it to produce sound, I can then lower the volume to a normal level, but I have to do this every time I turn the receiver on these days.

The speaker connection is fine, but I must have fried some resistor when I moved the unit.

Anyone have any ideas of what might be the culprit?  Is there an easy fix/ part to replace that I can DIY?  I have a decent repair technician in town I can send the unit to, but I am hoping I might be able to fix it myself.

TIA,

SCHAustin

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-11-15 18:39

Welcome to Agorquest!  You  probably blew a left channel output transistor, which usually takes out a resistor that acts like a fuse.  The left channel output transistors are IC 502 and IC503.  Check R526 in the vicinity of the output transistors.  If the value is >> 33 ohms, one of the two transistors is shorted and must be replaced as well as the resistor.  Also check R524 and R525.  If the value of either is >> 10 ohms, the resistor needs to be replaced.  Its a good thing that these resistors are in the circuit as they mitigate the consequences of a shorted output transistor.

The-Ish316

Posted: 2009-11-15 23:00

Wow, jehill. Seems that are pretty familiar with this stuff. You always amaze me with your know how. I sure hope I never need your help in this way, but very thankful to know that you're there for us.

Curious though, rather than use resistors as fuse, why not use a fuse? It would be easier to replace, right.
    DenMar

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-11-18 19:58

The advantage of using resistors is that you can determining the current through the resistor by measuring the voltage drop across it and then applying ohm's law (I = E/R).  I looked at the schematic closer and see that the 33 ohm resistors are not identified as protective resistors.  Instead, they determine the bias applied to an output transistor pair.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.