Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:234
    Members:1
    Total of:235 users
    MemberLogged
    jwakefield0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Sony Grand Wega KDF-55Xs955 green continuous blinking and powering off Dashboard
    Replies: 12 | Views: 10,764
    Last Reply: August 7, 2011, 11:49 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | jehill | SCN | network45 | Maelstrom_Prime | ky_mama |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony Grand Wega KDF-55Xs955 green continuous blinking and powering off
    SCN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-04 21:44

Hi,
    What a great site!  I apologize that this seems to be a variation of a ton of similar posts but I didnt find our exact issue.  We've had a KDF-55XS955 for many years with no issues.  About a year ago, the color started being very "off" and not so bright.  We adjusted the settings to no avail.  Today, it started the cycle of powering on and off repeatedly, maybe every 20 seconds or so.  The power/standby light flashes continuously green.  We had multiple people try to count but it seems to be a steady stream of flashing.  My husband thought maybe 6 but I can't differentiate the blinks.  We did notice that once it started doing this, the color (when it is on) is now back to normal vibrant color.  we called tech support to no avail and were considering replacing the lamp (which we haven't done in probably 4-5 years) but I saw a couple posts where that did not solve the problem and thought I'd ask first if anyone has any advice.  
    Thanks for your help!

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-05 09:04

Hi SCN,

If it's cycling on powering on and off, it's probably the lamp driver. I would replace the lamp first first. Actually, what I would do is run the self diagnostic exam which can be seen in the FAQ forum section. And then if possible post back the results.

Also, does it just power on and off continiously or does it once and than continuously blinking?

SCN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-05 18:06

Thanks for the response.  We ordered a lamp today after talking to the recommended technician who suggested we try that before having him come out and will keep it as a backup if that's not it.  I tried to run the self diagnostics yesterday but it didn't work.   Specifically we don't have a "channel" button (other than the channel up and down) so maybe I'm doing it wrong.  The Sony tech when I called the 1800 number also had me do some kind of "menu" diagnostic when it was off but that didn't work either.  It constantly powers on and off.  It will come on, stay on for maybe a minute, and then power off and the green standby light will blink continuously for maybe 30-45 sec or so until it comes back on, picture first then sound.  Altogether it blinks 30 times before the picture comes back on and 37 total for picture and sound.  It will then be normal (with no blinking) for another 30-60 seconds or so and then start the cycle over again.  The longer we have it on, the faster it cycles. 

SCN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-05 18:12

Okay, I missed the part about doing the self-diagnostics on STANDBY mode.  I ran it and is it the lamp driver (great call!).  I'll check the posts to try to find out what that means but at least we know what it is.
    Thanks for your help!

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-05 23:50

Cool thanks. Usually it's the lamp driver when it power cycles like that. Jehill has some great posts that he has anwered on that issue. I would search the forums for lamp driver for more information.  But it's definitely a fixable issue.

network45

Posted: 2009-08-26 11:48

SCN

Any luck getting this resolved on your XS955? Mine just started doing the same thing after over 4 years of no issues.

Thanks!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-26 19:12

Welcome to Agoraquest!  If you have never replaced the lamp, do that first.

SCN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-08-26 20:49

Hi,
    Yes, we replaced the lamp and it works perfectly.  We reset the error codes and lamp usage and have had no issues since.  I doublechecked the other day to make sure the lampdriver code did not come back on and it hasn't.  I'd try the lamp before anything else.

Maelstrom_Prime

Posted: 2009-09-01 08:36

Hello...great site,

I'm a little confused. I have a Sony KDF-60xs955, and I seem to be having the same problem SCN had. The unit would power off occsasionally as the LCD/power light would flash green. This would happen for 20 seconds or so, then the light would stop flashing and the unit would power back on.

After reading through this thread, I ran the self-diagnostic and sure enough there's an error code for "lamp driver."

I guess I'm confused about the solution. SCN reports fixing the problem by purchasing a new "lamp" not a "lamp driver." So I guess my question is when you get the "lamp driver" error, do you purchase a new lamp, lamp driver, or both?

Thanks for your help.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-09-01 19:45

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Always try replacing the lamp first, even though the error code indicates a problem with the lamp driver.

SCN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-09-03 20:59

Hi,
    We also had the "lamp driver" error but replacing the "lamp" fixed it.  The error message was also removed when the lamp was replaced.  It's been working fine since.

ky_mama

Posted: 2011-08-06 22:27

Hello, same problem happening here.  The power is cycling off and on every 30 seconds or so.  I replaced the lamp one year ago.  I bought just the bulb which cost about $90 - I did not buy the entire Sony lamp "unit".   Could this be the problem?  The TV worked fine after the bulb was replaced.  Until now, of course.

We did not know about the self check diagnostic when we replaced the bulb last year so when I ran it today, it was displaying a 1 for both lamp and lamp cover.  It had a 0 for lamp driver.  I cleared the messages out, ran it again, and now there are all 0s in every category.

Please advise, and thank you!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2011-08-07 11:49

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Purchasing and installing the lamp alone MAY have resulted in premature failure, but there is no guarantee that was the case.  I always recommend purchasing a genuine Sony replacement lamp block (assembly), only because some members have had problems when they simply replaced the lamp.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.