Joined: Mar 13, 2003
From: Sewell, NJ
Posted: 2009-06-12 03:21
You may make your Windows XP or Windows Vista PC a DLNA certified media server simply by activating this capability of Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 or above. This will allow you to use the Ethernet connection on your DLNA certified media player (PS3, TV, receiver) to connect to the server and view media stored on your PC.
Here is a step-by-step guide: 1. Open Windows Media Player 11. The "Windows Media Player" window below appears.
2. Click the "Library" tab and then click "Media Sharing...". If Media Sharing has not been previously used, a "Media Sharing" pop-up window appears. Be sure that "Share My Media" is checked and click "OK" to continue. The "Media Sharing" window below appears.
3. Make sure that "Share my media to:" is checked and then click "Settings...". The "Media Sharing - Default Settings" window below appears.
4. Pick the settings that you desire. It is recommended that you replace the default "Share media as:" name with what ever you would like the server to be named. If there are multiple users on the PC, media sharing must be configured for each user and there is a server for each user. Click "OK" to save the settings and return to the "Media Sharing" window.
5. Click the "Networking..." button. The "Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center" window below appears.
6. Make sure that "Password protected sharing" is "Off" and that "Media Sharing" is "On". Click "OK" to save the settings and return to the "Media Sharing" window. Click "OK" to save the "Media Sharing" settings.
7. Back on the "Windows Media Player" window, click the "Library" tab and then click "Add to Library...". The "Add to Library" window below will appear.
8. Make sure that "My folders and those of others that I can access" is selected. Recommend un-checking "Add files previously deleted from library" as it will be annoying if this happens. Click "Add..." to browse folders to add. The "Add Folder" window below will appear.
9. Select the desired folder. In this case, "C:UsersJohnPicturesPoland (10-03-06)" was selected. Click "OK" to add the selected folder. The new folder appears in the "Add To Library" window as shown below.
10. Click "OK" to add the files in the folder to the library. "The Add to Library by Searching Computer" window below appears.
Congratulations! You have completed making your PC a DLNA certified media server. DLNA certified media players (PS3, TV, receiver, etc.) on your home network may now view media stored on your PC. ----------------- -John
Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer
[ This message was edited by: jehill on 2009-06-14 06:00 ]
Joined: Mar 13, 2003
From: Sewell, NJ
Posted: 2012-07-15 10:24
Windows Media Player 12 is substantially improved over Windows Media Player 11 and much easier to setup.
All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The
comments are property of their posters.
This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation
(www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered
of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics.
"Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony
please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.